Welcome to Gaia! ::

Partying Regular

Usually no, but I will take it from someone who does hair/makeup for a living as long as their comments/critique are just about the hair and makeup.

Friendly Noob

13,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
Of course!
Don't need to be an artist to give critiques.
I'll take whatever I can get, lol.

Conservative Capitalist

5,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Window Shopper 100
Maybe, depend on the critique

Aged Zealot

Most people, because they are human, can perceive the uncanny valley in anatomy in art. So yeah, most people can point out incorrect anatomy. But when it comes to color theory or things like that, I have a hard time taking opinions from people who don't draw.

In that same frame I don't take critique period unless it's asked for. Maybe it's how I was raised, but I find it rude when I post an art drop and people flood my thread with their opinions and suggestions. It is one of the few things that ticks me off in an almost knee jerk way.
Art is not designed to be viewed by artists alone. If you are not willing to take critique from everyone who views your art then you might as well never show your art to anyone.

All artists want to sell work, and the majority of people who buy are not artist themselves. They are your target audience and the people who will judge your work the hardest, because it is them who are paying you. If you want to stick to per to per selling then good luck, you are advertising yourself only to people who can do what you do already, and probably do it better.

I think people tend to get the deffinition of critique wrong quite a lot. Critique does not meen to correct. It means to analyse, a synonym would be to review. Just like movie reviews, or book reviews. This is very different to going someone a list of artistic alterations to make.

Loyal Gatekeeper

5,400 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Summer Celebrant 150
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
As far as i'm concerned i would hear everyone's critiques because they might know something about digital art or are into it even thought they can't actually draw... It doesn't mean u have to take them into consideration it just means that they offered their "opinion"...
Absolutely. You don't need to have artistic skill to know when something looks wrong. Maybe they can't articulate it as well as an artist could, but they should still be able to give you an idea of where improvement might be needed.

Hygienic Citizen

i think that you should take all critiques seriously, unless they are intentionally trying to bring you down.
not everyone is michelangelo, but everyone has aesthetic awareness.
I'm pretty shaky on that. There are people who cannot draw, but their level of being able to see and judge wisely can be superb. Other than that, I will gladly receive the critiques but I may or may not take it to heart.

Sweetheart

Yes I would, but it depends you can usually tell through a level of bs if they are just trolling or being real with you
Also another person might have a better understanding of lighting and anatomy, but it doesn't require them to be an artist.
It's good to ask another person because they can see what you can't.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff