Welcome to Gaia! ::

Edgiest Sweetheart

I've been drawing for years, and I think I'm pretty good with drawing women. When it comes to guys, they don't have super curves, nor are their sides totally straight. I can't figure out how to draw their bodies and it's frustrating as hell. stressed

Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure I'll figure it out by using references, but yeah.. sweatdrop

Blessed Seeker

3,550 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I have this problem in a way, but I'm mastering the male body little by little. Women are so fun to draw because of the easy curves we usually have. Men's bodies usually have subtle lines in places. Sometimes it's hard to get them down right. I usually had problems with the hips. I think of the male torso as a rectangle usually. Men's bodies in general are more detailed though, women lack definition because we're nice and cushiony~ Most of the time. Just check out some drawing tutorials. I suggest Cubebrush on Youtube. I love him! Also Proko & Sycra. I wish you all the best!

Timid Tipper

Because different shapes.
Stuff like this can help out a lot!

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
Most people cheat anatomy with women, that's why it's easier. It's easier to just "guess" "curves" on women when they're anatomically incorrect. The best way to start drawing a male figure, or figure in general, is to find a picture of the muscular system, draw everything you see, then use the outline as a base.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Well, assuming you are physically female, it's probably more natural for you to draw or you are most use to seeing the female frame. Just study figure photographs and realistic anatomy, you'll get better over time. C:

Friendly Dreamer

I honestly don't see much difference from drawing one or the other. Men have curves. You just have to draw them in a way that shows them off. I feel like people have been brainwashed into thinking that female bodies are more beautiful and fun to draw.

Yea, I have the same problem too. Whenever I draw males, I cheat and just make them wider and boxier than how I draw females (and they usually turn out looking like manly females lol sweatdrop ). Never really studied male anatomy, nor female anatomy now that I think about it.

Edgiest Sweetheart

Loner Yanagi
I honestly don't see much difference from drawing one or the other. Men have curves. You just have to draw them in a way that shows them off. I feel like people have been brainwashed into thinking that female bodies are more beautiful and fun to draw.

I haven't been brainwashed, I've just been drawing women longer. sweatdrop I really just want to learn how to draw male bodies because I can always draw the face, then the body ruins it because I can't draw them properly... emo

Aged Girl

Fit males (non obese) are very boxy compared to most women. Also, men usually will not have long, wild and out-of-control hairstyles, wacky clothing pieces, neon purple hair with asymmetrical bangs, tons of jewelry, gobs of colorful makeup...
Guys (in sofla) are usually just wearing a shirt and pants with a short hair cut, and at most a simple watch. Women... Oh, my goodness.

I actually think men are far easier to sketch than women.
Men's bodies are more utilitarian in general. They're more triangular and sharp.

Women's bodies are typically more...flowy. Less staccato.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Special Snowflake

I enjoy drawing males way more xd you just have to get into it. Try observing different build types and experimenting with drawing them, it's fun- trust me!

Thieving Rogue

Practice! Do gesture drawings, study male bodies, learn how muscles work. You don't have to have a surgeon's knowledge of the muscles or bones or anything, but knowing how they effect the outer form of the body is super helpful.

Try out these sites for gesture drawing.
<X> <X>

And this book is a really good anatomy book.

Angelic Muse

10,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
  • Super Tipsy 200

⌠☆ミ⌡

I think you think they are hard to draw because you are not used to drawing them. Practice will help. ^_^

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Male-VS-Female-Anatomy-Tutorial-328484485
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Learn-Manga-Basics-The-Male-Puppet-417913369
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Male-vs-Female-Anatomy-289030726 (NSFW)
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Male-Torso-Tutorial-via-Phantasm-Comic-443763042

⌠☆ミ⌡
Loner Yanagi

Female bodies are indeed fun to draw, but I've found that male forms are often quite fluid in build as well. For instance, the below picture is something I tried when one of my friends asked about my obsession with drawing females. I told him I could do the same thing with a male body, and… well, it just goes to show that no two bodies are truly alike. Also, you should keep in mind, fellow artist, that no two artists are truly alike either; despite how much inspiration we make take from others, or what tips and tricks we may learn, it ultimately comes down to this:

You are your own inspiration. Do things YOUR way.

Do what makes you happy. Do what you feel is right. That's what being an artist is all about smile

User Image

EDIT: No idea why the picture is upside down XD sorry about that

Eco-friendly Gaian

cuz you get to look at your body every day in the mirror. you've been living with it forever. its not nearly as often that u get to see naked dudes so its gonna be much harder to call to mind specific details of their bodies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff