Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anaiira
Maitta
HOW TO LOOK FORWARD TO COLLEGE IN 3 MONTHS.
Booze + no parents. C;

Where are you headed off to?
tab money can't buy HAPPINESS,
tab tab tab but it can buy MARSHMALLOWS...
tab tab which are {kinda} the same thing...

MaittaSays

Bahahaa.

My choices where San Jose State University and UCLA...if you live in Cali. ;D
I'm deciding on SJSU..because UCLA doesn't have a very good design/ animations programs.
Maitta
Otange Noobs
tab money cant buy HAPPINESS,
tab tab which are kinda} the same thing...

MaittaSays

Wahh. ;;Jealous of your work ethic.
Sound like us high school seniors really need to start beating ourselves into shape..

Hmm, what you said about how it depends on where you go though, would you said that you attend a rather...high achieving school?

I have a similar work ethic. Being in the studio a little bit every dayincluding weekends) means less all nighters, and generally stronger work. Cept for Fridays, I dont have class on Fridays, so I sit around the studio, diddle, and do some work as I see fit... Im in the studio less long hours than most of my mates, but Im in there regularly on a set schedule. Even if Im tired and just sleeping on the couch, Im in there at least confronting my work.Right now Im sitting at my pallet table staring at a pile of paper paintings I need to finish for my final crit.

Having friends outside of your department is possible, but rare and hard to maintain. Usually those friends only see me a few nights a week when Im burnt out, or I show up at their place and mooch food and booze off of them. I would always see these friends weekend evenings when we all vegged out. My boyfriend is a CS major, and he lives on campus, as opposed to my place 2 miles off campus. He sees me more than my roomies on virtue of his bed is closer than mine, therefor I will get more sleep if I go there.

Not saying I dont make sacrifices for my work. There are a LOT of people who know me in passing who are always pestering me to hang out more. There are a lot of parties I wish I could have gone to. But, in the end, my work is strong, and Ive got good chances at a great grad program.
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

You ma'am, are my new role model.
It sound like you have the motivation to get stuff done..O:
I think it's the first time I heard from someone who can manage their time successfully...

;;TAKES NOTES ON WHAT YOU SAY.
Maitta
Anaiira
Maitta
HOW TO LOOK FORWARD TO COLLEGE IN 3 MONTHS.
Booze + no parents. C;

Where are you headed off to?

MaittaSays

Bahahaa.

My choices where San Jose State University and UCLA...if you live in Cali. ;D
I'm deciding on SJSU..because UCLA doesn't have a very good design/ animations programs.
*JEALOUS*

: ) You're lucky to be able to go to art school. I wish I knew what I wanted to do back when I was graduating and had the conviction to carry it through.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Maitta
Otange Noobs

MaittaSays

Wahh. ;;Jealous of your work ethic.
Sound like us high school seniors really need to start beating ourselves into shape..

Hmm, what you said about how it depends on where you go though, would you said that you attend a rather..."high achieving" school?

I'm going into the second year of animation at Sheridan College. I had done ththree years of another program there and the difference in work load between the two is just... wow. Huge. But it's worth it.
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

You ma'am, are my new role model.
It sound like you have the motivation to get stuff done..O:
I think it's the first time I heard from someone who can manage their time successfully...

;;TAKES NOTES ON WHAT YOU SAY.

I was a dumbs when I first came to school. I procrastinated, took the wrong risks, lost papers, overslept, and was probably one of the most unorganized and scatter brained people you'd ever meet. Plenty of upperclassmen warned me and tried to help, but I ignored them. So yeah, you'll probably make the same mistakes and moves that everyone else has. Freshman classes are built not to teach you art skills, but to teach you how to handle college corse loads and and organizational skills. Also how to handle getting handed the first bad grade on an art project.

I'm now good friends with a freshman I swear is me 3 years ago, doing the exact same dumb s**t I did. We even have the same speech patterns/intonations and sometimes accidentally speak in sync. It's creepy as ********. And frustrating, because I'm watching her do the same s**t I did. Same projects, all nighters, and everything. I laugh at her when she shrugs off my advice, knowing I did the same ******** thing.

Plenty of all nighters, bad grades, and a few ER trips later, I finally started learning my lessons:

Keep a set schedule and follow it as closely as you can. Devote certain hours to certain classes every week. If it's an off week in one class, devote that time to something else that's just as pressing. This can be errands, other homework, or sleep.

Start thinking and planning a project the day you are handed it. Seriously. At least get things in your sketchbook that evening while discussion is fresh. The first ideas aren't always the best, but the quicker you get them out there, the quicker the best ideas come.

Pay close attention to rubrics. Know what parts are important and what aren't. Don't break your back on something that isn't even half a letter grade. Focus on what matters in the class, even if it's not what you like.

Learn your professors tastes. Don't cater to them all the time, but understand what will get you a good grade, and when sticking to your ideals will hurt your grade. Find a compromise, especially if you really disagree with your professor. Often, they DO know what they are talking about, even if they seem completely crazy. I've learned more from professors I HATED than I would like to admit.

Work on your weaknesses, but play to your strengths when it matters. There are some assignments that you're supposed to push yourself and experiment. There are some you're supposed to show what you can do, to the best of your ability. Don't decide to go out of your comfort zone for a project worth 30% of your final grade.

Budget more time than you need for projects. You never know what's going to happen. I haven't had a sculpture yet that I haven't broken before the deadline. I've also never turned in a late, broken, or incomplete piece. I expect it, and pretty much plan for it. Things break, computers crash, files get corrupted. The sooner in the process this happens, the more time you have to fix it. And hey- if everything does go amazingly well, you got yourself a lot more time to relax. Yaaaaay

And last but probably the most important:

KNOW WHEN TO TAKE A ******** BREAK. For god's sake, learn your physical, emotional, and metal limits. Don't push yourself too far too often. It's not weak to go to bed instead of adding those final, minuscule details no one is going to notice. It's not weak to realize that your cough might be something more than a cold, and to take a few nights and sleep it off. Those few nights of getting an hour or so more sleep will be NOTHING compared to the week or so you get knocked out of commission if you end up horribly sick. Emotional stability is just as important, if you're near a breaking point, stop before all hell breaks loose. All the strategies above are lessons I learned because I pushed myself too far and ended up sick in bed, in the ER, or under a table crying with a blanket over my head because something pushed me a bit too far and I had a panic attack.
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

My, my. You should write a book for us incoming freshmen. D:
Thank you for all this by the way!
What you say is very amusing to read, and not to mention very helpful. Ahaha.

I've never thought about how much you can disagree with a professor.
I guess I've been taking my current art teacher for granted..we have similar interests and she can be a bit too nice when offering advice...I find that most high school teacher are like that - they're too careful about your feelings to tell someone straight up that their art sucks.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ulterior_Motives

This exactly. There are way too many people from our first year that ended up dropping classes, dropping out, and a couple that had to go to the hospital. It's only the first year. Time management is the biggest thing. Most of us got the hang of it by the end of the first semester, but there were still people oversleeping and handing things in 3 weeks later. Others got hooked on life drawing. One guy was in life drawing for oh geez, 9 hours or so at least twice every week. He got great at life drawing, but ended up falling behind because he would skip classes for life drawing.

Planning a schedule out is the best thing you can do for yourself and making sure you have enough rest and eating healthy is just as important. It is hard to function off of nothing. I've seen it happen and it is not pretty.

Also, expect failure in technology. Even if you get a project done on time, print it off the night before. Back up everything twice if it is digital because there can be server failures. Every year a 4th year student loses a film because it crashed at the last minute or because something got corrupt. Same thing happens to 1st years. I had a project disappear 3 times in a row from the server before I backed it up. Fortunately, it was something I was already experienced in so I was still done early, but if it wasn't, I would have been in trouble.

Find someplace where you can work quietly and productively. I find it is hard to work at home because of all the distractions such as video games and tv. If the school is a better place to work, then stay at the school to work. :>

Ulterior Motives got pretty much everything that is important. Make sure to follow them or risk getting in trouble.

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
Banners and signs shouldn't even be in that forum. Anyway, I noticed the slowness too. Maybe they're doing RLCs instead?
Tenko72
Banners and signs shouldn't even be in that forum. Anyway, I noticed the slowness too. Maybe they're doing RLCs instead?

Oh noes. I'm going to be broke. D:

I feel like a lotta people nowadays put banners and signs together. O:
Otange Noobs

Time to prepare for some hospital visits. D: <
Thanks to both of you for the advice.
It's always nice to hear from people who've been through it before. >.<
Otange Noobs
Ulterior_Motives

This exactly. There are way too many people from our first year that ended up dropping classes, dropping out, and a couple that had to go to the hospital. It's only the first year. Time management is the biggest thing. Most of us got the hang of it by the end of the first semester, but there were still people oversleeping and handing things in 3 weeks later. Others got hooked on life drawing. One guy was in life drawing for oh geez, 9 hours or so at least twice every week. He got great at life drawing, but ended up falling behind because he would skip classes for life drawing.

Planning a schedule out is the best thing you can do for yourself and making sure you have enough rest and eating healthy is just as important. It is hard to function off of nothing. I've seen it happen and it is not pretty.

Also, expect failure in technology. Even if you get a project done on time, print it off the night before. Back up everything twice if it is digital because there can be server failures. Every year a 4th year student loses a film because it crashed at the last minute or because something got corrupt. Same thing happens to 1st years. I had a project disappear 3 times in a row from the server before I backed it up. Fortunately, it was something I was already experienced in so I was still done early, but if it wasn't, I would have been in trouble.

Find someplace where you can work quietly and productively. I find it is hard to work at home because of all the distractions such as video games and tv. If the school is a better place to work, then stay at the school to work. :>

Ulterior Motives got pretty much everything that is important. Make sure to follow them or risk getting in trouble.

ahahahaha

******** TECHNOLOGY

******** IT

My video project, as a graduating senior in a class that is my MAJOR got ******** up and turned in a week late, and even then, 15 minutes of crit was me yelling at the computer...why? Because, I thought my tech was fine. That it loved me. That it wouldn't fail me when it had go so smilingly smooth in times past. Then everything went wrong. No matter what I did. ******** ******** ********. Ugh. I love video work. But I don't want to deal with this kind of bullshit...

I'm just going to once again emphasize the importance of your health. If you think something is wrong, get sleep and go to the doctor. Don't power through it. I had a minor cough once that turned out to be swine flu, and that landed me in the hospital with a 104 fever coughing up blood and pre-pnumonic. I would have been fine if I decided to sleep it off when I first started getting sick. I lost MORE time, more energy, and ended up horribly behind in all my classes(on top of bills and worrying my roommates to death) because I thought I could power through it.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn this lesson until my senior year. It's probably my biggest regret about art school. I'm pretty sure I've done some long term damage to myself. Every semester, I'd end up bedridden a week after midterms cause I was like "LOL THIS ISN'T THAT BIG OF A DEAL" cue strep throat, flu, pink eye, respiratory infections, kidney infections, STAPH, or whatever bug decided to invade my system that go around. You know it's bad when you're on a first name basis with your school's pharmacist and they can personally list off all the antibiotics that you've had, and those you're allergic to.

So please, to many freshman starting art school. You might never get sick now, but when you pull so many allnighters and eat so horribly, yeah, your immune system WILL crash and you will end up sicker than you've ever been if you don't take care of yourself.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Ulterior_Motives

ahahahaha

******** TECHNOLOGY

******** IT

My video project, as a graduating senior in a class that is my MAJOR got ******** up and turned in a week late, and even then, 15 minutes of crit was me yelling at the computer...why? Because, I thought my tech was fine. That it loved me. That it wouldn't fail me when it had go so smilingly smooth in times past. Then everything went wrong. No matter what I did. ******** ******** ********. Ugh. I love video work. But I don't want to deal with this kind of bullshit...

I'm just going to once again emphasize the importance of your health. If you think something is wrong, get sleep and go to the doctor. Don't power through it. I had a minor cough once that turned out to be swine flu, and that landed me in the hospital with a 104 fever coughing up blood and pre-pnumonic. I would have been fine if I decided to sleep it off when I first started getting sick. I lost MORE time, more energy, and ended up horribly behind in all my classes(on top of bills and worrying my roommates to death) because I thought I could power through it.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn this lesson until my senior year. It's probably my biggest regret about art school. I'm pretty sure I've done some long term damage to myself. Every semester, I'd end up bedridden a week after midterms cause I was like "LOL THIS ISN'T THAT BIG OF A DEAL" cue strep throat, flu, pink eye, respiratory infections, kidney infections, STAPH, or whatever bug decided to invade my system that go around. You know it's bad when you're on a first name basis with your school's pharmacist and they can personally list off all the antibiotics that you've had, and those you're allergic to.

So please, to many freshman starting art school. You might never get sick now, but when you pull so many allnighters and eat so horribly, yeah, your immune system WILL crash and you will end up sicker than you've ever been if you don't take care of yourself.

Yep. We may hold technology dear to our hearts, but it's good to note that technology does not have a heart.

Agreed. Eating unhealthy or not eating at all will drastically reduce your immune systems effectiveness and it's only a matter of time before something nasty plays ping pong in your stomach or head. Keeping on top of your health is definitely a good idea; from eating healthy, sleeping right and getting even a little bit of exercise helps loads. Actually, I've heard from upperclassmen that people whom have a more active lifestyle are more productive and happier than those who don't.

Maitta
Otange Noobs

Time to prepare for some hospital visits. D: <
Thanks to both of you for the advice.
It's always nice to hear from people who've been through it before. >.<

It's best to go in prepared and positive, so that won't happen. An all-nighter once in a while isn't bad, but when you start to approach a 50/50 of an all-nighter or not is when things get icky. Try not to. XD Even one will play with your stomach. Also, stay away from those 5 hour power energy drinks. I haven't tried them, but I've seen people who have. Sure they get energy, but they end up vibrating and their lines come out like crap. Really bad for clean-up. I've had the pleasure of knowing some people in the higher years give me tips. The most common are sleep and time management. It helps to have someone tell you about their experiences, but a lot of people blow it off and find out for themselves later. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff