Welcome to Gaia! ::

Maitta
Ulterior_Motives
tab money can't buy HAPPINESS,
tab tab tab but it can buy MARSHMALLOWS...
tab tab which are {kinda} the same thing...

MaittaSays

Oh my god. This is when I DON'T look forward to college.

It's fun.

I graduate in a week and I haven't gotten more than 3 hours of sleep a night since saturday night. I think I counted it as 10 hours total???

I've hit the point of being high. And completely /not/ caring about these projects I'm working on.

"Oh god, that flesh looks terrible...I'LL JUST MAKE IT HOT PINK"
"nail gun's outta nails? I'll use a ton of glue and say I'm referencing pollock"
"An artist bio? 'Hi, I'm Shannon, I have pink hair and I haven't slept in a week.' good enough?"

Thank god I don't have to weld in this state.

But really. It's fun, I think I'm going to miss it.... maybe... I was sad about graduating last week, but after this ********, ******** it.
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

Ahaha, whenever I hear stories from you graduating students, I feel like I might die from lack of sleep.
BUT CONGRATULATIONS! Woww, must be excitingg. O: <
I guess everything's better when you look back at it?

Like if I look at junior year of high school..it wasn't too bad. But at the time I probably thought I was in hell.
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

Ahaha, whenever I hear stories from you graduating students, I feel like I might die from lack of sleep.
BUT CONGRATULATIONS! Woww, must be excitingg. O: <
I guess everything's better when you look back at it?

Like if I look at junior year of high school..it wasn't too bad. But at the time I probably thought I was in hell.

Hahaha. Yeah. College students don't sleep. Either because you're working too hard or partying too hard, or trying to do BOTH. My boyfriend's roommate frequently comes up to me and says stuff along the lines of "I haven't gotten more than 3 hours of a sleep a night for a month. I've had 3 rockstars and an entire pot of coffee...I think my heart might give out" It's NOON when he says this s**t, too.

I think my favorite art school memory was when my prof decide to do an impromptu bronze-pour. We had a week and a half to come up with an idea involving multiples of a cast object. Then we had to make plaster molds of the object, make wax positives from that mold, spru it all up and invest it for burnout. Needless to say, we all ended up WAY behind. The night before it was due, the entire class ended up in the shop, spruing our waxes.

Somehow, our wax got contaminated with oil and wouldn't fully harden. So all of our s**t kept breaking. Time after time, hour after hour, we kept at it to very limited success.

Then 10pm came along, and we ordered pizza, and got back to work.

Success started happening slowly, but midnight came pretty damn quickly, and the end wasn't in sight.

A storm started up outside, and we didn't think much of it. Until we heard the sirens, and got phone calls from roommates, significant others, and parents. Tornado spotted 10 miles from campus. Get to safety. ******** that, we had s**t to do. We stayed in the shop, working away.

Finally, victory was in reach. Our waxes were finished, and we were investing in the plaster/sand mixture. We made makeshift cylinders out of chicken wire, wax paper, and duct tape. We worked together to mix gallons of the investment, and filled everyone's containers one at a time.

Then...disaster.

One of the containers busted open, gushing the overly-watered solution of plaster and sand everywhere. There was over an inch of the stuff. It got on our bags, in our shoes, and on other people's projects. The stuff was wet, and any attempt to get it up just ended up making a bigger mess.

It was 5:30 am. The storm was still raging. Most of us had other projects due, and early morning classes.

We said ******** it. Some of us left, covered in sweat and plaster, and burned by wax. Someone slept in the shop that night, if only to see the professor's face when he walked in on his shop flooded with plaster, and only half of the class's projects done. (Man, he was NOT happy with us, but couldn't put the blame on anyone, individually)
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

LOL. Oh god..what class was this? O_O
What's your major? O:

I'm really looking forward to all these art classes...BUT THE STORIES YOU PEOPLE TELL....<//3
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

LOL. Oh god..what class was this? O_O
What's your major? O:

I'm really looking forward to all these art classes...BUT THE STORIES YOU PEOPLE TELL....<//3

It was an intermediate sculpture class. I'm painting and sculpture double major. (Though my painting is MUCH better, I just enjoy the break sculpture provides). Nights like that...I was in tears man. I was covered in s**t, so tired I was nauseous. My sweatpants are still bleached from the plaster... But those classmates that went through that with me? We're really tight friends.

You know art school owl? It's all true. And from what I've heard of the outside world, not much changes besides the fact that you make the deadlines or have galleries on your a** instead of professors.
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

D:
Hmm...do you happen to know anything about...animation or digital art ish majors?
I'm going to assume it's less...messy. XD
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

D:
Hmm...do you happen to know anything about...animation or digital art ish majors?

What they lack in mess they make up for in bleary eyes, carpal tunnel, and bad backs.

Oh, and you will forever hate the word "rendering"
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

Oh god. I can imagine that. LOLL.

I already hate the work rendering. ;;crai.
HOW TO LOOK FORWARD TO COLLEGE IN 3 MONTHS.
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

Oh god. I can imagine that. LOLL.

I already hate the work rendering. ;;crai.

Find a yoga class. Seriously. All my design/animation friends take yoga to help their backs.

It's either that or one really pissed off and confused chiropractor with a hefty bill.
Ulterior_Motives

....I find that pretty hilarious.
Why do I laugh at others' pain.

I guess I'll start looking for yoga classes after all this admission stuff.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Maitta
Ulterior_Motives

MaittaSays

D:

I'm in an animation course right now. I hope you don't enjoy sleep too much, because you won't be having it. We draw constantly, so wrist stress and sore backs are a problem. But those all-nighters.. Those people there become your best friends. Also, if you have time for videogames, you're not doing well enough in class. I just hooked up my PS2 for the first time this year and that's because classes ended for me. Don't do assignments the night or two before it is due.

We haven't gotten to rendering yet (probably next year), but we have dealt with Flash and it's oh so fun crashing. I've seen other students leave a computer to render, leave and find out someone else had stopped the render and logged them out so they can use that computer instead... (which is a d**k move since there are at least 30 in that one room.)
Otange Noobs

MaittaSays

Uh oh..my sleep. </3

Do you work every day? Are you someone who tends to have a pretty even amount of work..or do you push everything to the end? Ahaha.

I guess I'm asking if there's people who can finish their work and still have free time. o-o

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Maitta
Otange Noobs

MaittaSays

Uh oh..my sleep. </3

Do you work every day? Are you someone who tends to have a pretty even amount of work..or do you push everything to the end? Ahaha.

I guess I'm asking if there's people who can finish their work and still have free time. o-o

There are people who leave it all to the last minute, but I work on it everyday. You should still have -some- free time to do stuff, but I would pick a day. For example, my free day was Friday. If you actually do work on the weekends, there won't be many all-nighters. Something things don't turn out and you end up meeting those all-nighters anyways. They work you up to it though. Like, depending on how fast you are, I've been able to spend 5 hours on an animation assignment and get a 75 or so. But the week when nothing turned out, I ended up spending a total of 20 or so hours on it, but came face to face with that all-nighter because it still didn't look right.. Got a 98 for that one though. Meanwhile there's one guy who gets everything done a week before anything is due. It all depends on your work ethic and how fast you are that will affect how much free time you have. I concider myself as a a balanced worker and was lucky enough that I didn't run into too many problems, but if something went wrong, it would eat the hour or two that I set aside for myself at night.

It is almost impossible to hold a social life with people outside of your program though. I tried at the beginning of the year and it didn't work. So I had to limit to one day a week or I would fall behind. Many people in our program came to the same conclusion. So if you really want few time, set out a schedule and hold out to it. Make sure it's not too generous towards friends and family. It sounds mean, but it's something that really has to be focused on. People drop out.

But that being said. I hear it depends where you go. I've seen people in other animation programs that are off at parties every few days in the week.
Otange Noobs

MaittaSays

Wahh. ;;Jealous of your work ethic.
Sound like us high school seniors really need to start beating ourselves into shape..

Hmm, what you said about how it depends on where you go though, would you said that you attend a rather..."high achieving" school?
Maitta
Booze + no parents. C;

Where are you headed off to?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas