Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
I've been hanging around PP recently and noticed a person who stated she was a professional because her artwork was accepted into her college's gallery and that she's sold her art for money a couple times. **If you've been lurking in PP you might know who I'm referring too...ANYWAY**

But IF that what makes a professional then I guess a good portion of us artist are professionals?

SO I was wondering AD what do you think it takes to be a professional? Is it selling a couple pieces? Getting into a couple galleries? Working for a company? etc....etc....

I'd like to see what you guys think!

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
In my humble opinion, being a professional is to make money in such extent that it is your main source of income and you are able to pay your bills with earned money.

You know how the old saying goes: one swallow does not make a spring, nor does one or two sold paintings make you a professional artist.
But also one should keep in mind that being a professional is not everything. You can have professional looking end product without being one.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
The Zorya
In my humble opinion, being a professional is to make money in such extent that it is your main source of income and you are able to pay your bills with earned money.

You know how the old saying goes: one swallow does not make a spring, nor does one or two sold paintings make you a professional artist.
But also one should keep in mind that being a professional is not everything. You can have professional looking end product without being one.

Pretty much this.

Phantom

7,665 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First Fall 15
  • Somebody Likes You 100
If you do art as a job, you're a professional.

the Zorya's right.
Ahaha, I think I know who you are talking about.

But I agree with the above. If you're making a substantial income off your work, you're a professional.

I love how some people tote that title around. It probably was just a lack-luster defense against a criticism.

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I design crap for extra money...but that doesn't make me a professional.

Why? Because I couldn't sustain myself on what I make. It's enough to pay a phone bill or to buy the odd video game or two, but I'm not looking for a house payment.

You are a professional when you can pay the bills on art alone. Getting a couple of paintings in some gallery doesn't make you a professional. Otherwise I would have that title from getting my crappy doodles in art shows.
Mahiru Suoh
Ahaha, I think I know who you are talking about.

But I agree with the above. If you're making a substantial income off your work, you're a professional.

I love how some people tote that title around. It probably was just a lack-luster defense against a criticism.
I never even thought of it as a title actually. Anyway, agreed. A professional is someone with a career. If your career is as an artist, then you are a professional artist. (There are professional critics too.)

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I tend to think of it as being paid more consistently, also consistently putting work out there to be sold, though if no one is buying you go from being a professional to being a poor artist.
I used to think that once you can buy your rent and food with the money you get from drawing, you're a professional, but, well.

Wikipedia

Definition
The main criteria for professional include the following:

1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.

2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.

3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.

4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.

5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.

6. Participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavour often engaged in by amateurs b : having a particular profession as a permanent career c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return[6]

7. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.

8. A professional is an expert who is master in a specific field.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional

^ I think I agree with this more these days. There are a lot of artists that get paid, but they don't really achieve that status.

Space Detective

19,940 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I think a professional is someone who displays a high level of expertise in all areas of their chosen field. Making money is nice, but it should not be the only qualifier for who is a professional. Would you really consider the kid who is making just enough money to eat and pay rent flipping burgers at a fast food joint a professional chief? How about the person making a mint off of selling substandard how to draw manga books, would they be a professional?

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
kwahoo
I think a professional is someone who displays a high level of expertise in all areas of their chosen field. Making money is nice, but it should not be the only qualifier for who is a professional. Would you really consider the kid who is making just enough money to eat and pay rent flipping burgers at a fast food joint a professional chief? How about the person making a mint off of selling substandard how to draw manga books, would they be a professional?

Just because their knowledge isn't extensive...well it doesn't make them any less of a professional.

They are sustaining a living cooking and selling instructional drawing books. Though neither may be as refined as some with higher tastes would like, they are, infact, professionals. Because its their profession.

5,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Inspiration
The Zorya

Well, no, that's not really just your humble opinion, That's pretty much how being a professional is defined. With regards to anything. Whether you're talking about art, writing, sports, whatever. A professional is someone who earns they're living performing that activity.

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
A professional artist lives off their art.

I make a few bucks here and there off my art, but I am by no means a professional artist.

Witty Phantom

If that's all it takes to be a professional, then I've been one for a long time. xD

For the last 5 years I've been selling my art at a local blues festival annually.
People hand me a good amount of money to draw them, but I am most definitely not a professional.

You have to be good at what you do and you need basic and advanced knowledge to stand on.
You need to be good enough that you can and do make a living off of it.

There can be professionals with less talent than others, but what makes them professional is the same thing. They're skilled, and their making a regular income.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff