Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
What is your favorite digital art program?
I'm thinking about getting photoshop, but if there is something better, then I'll get that.
Free or not, your favorite program in general. :3
I draw things from chibi's, to realistic drawings with my tablet.
Also, Favorite tablet? I have an old wacom bamboo.
But It's really old. xD
And, I mean REALLY old, so I'm due for a new tablet, too.

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Well.. there's Photoshop, which is meant for raster images, and Illustrator, which is for vector. So what it really comes down to is, are you wanting to be able to print any of your designs? Or simply shading/coloring them in?

And I have a year old wacom bamboo xD

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Gamer Girl Gone Wild
Well.. there's Photoshop, which is meant for raster images, and Illustrator, which is for vector. So what it really comes down to is, are you wanting to be able to print any of your designs? Or simply shading/coloring them in?

yes :3 I'd like to print them once I get more happy with my style.
Paint Tool Sai. It's easy to understand, lightweight, and comes with a variety of good brushes.
mandarin orange eater
Gamer Girl Gone Wild

Well, I'd suggest Illustrator for doing the line art and printouts. (Because vector images don't get pixelated when you resize them)

Unfortunately its easier to control color in Photoshop.. I'd just suggest getting them both. xP

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Gamer Girl Gone Wild
mandarin orange eater
Gamer Girl Gone Wild

Well, I'd suggest Illustrator for doing the line art and printouts. (Because vector images don't get pixelated when you resize them)

Unfortunately its easier to control color in Photoshop.. I'd just suggest getting them both. xP
alright xD I'll look into prices and see how long itll take me to save up razz

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Sleepy Ciel
Paint Tool Sai. It's easy to understand, lightweight, and comes with a variety of good brushes.
I completely forgot about paint tool sai. I'll have to try it again. c:
Corel Painter is my absolute favourite.
Always has been. whee
Hey, Hi!

I use a lot of digital painting programs.
Such as Photoshop, Paint tool Sai, Corel Draw 12 , Manga Studio debut 4, Sketchbook Pro & Art Rage.
My favourite is Photoshop cuz is the program that I used for a long time...But now I like to use Corel & Sketchbook Pro! I use manga studio for making Mangas not for painting.
I have a Bamboo Fun tablet...Is a bit old! I like to use it is very smooth and tiny biggrin
I wnated to have a Cintiq 12WX cuz i love to draw in tiny tablets biggrin D
And yes that's my MOST FAVOURITE TABLET! I wanted to have it but is to expensive for me so I'm happy having my Bamboo Fun smile

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
It all depends on what you want to do. I mostly use photoshop for editing photos and doing stuff like that. If you want to try something similar to it and free you might want to try gimp. there is a version of it called gimpshop I believe and its got a similar layout.

Photoshop and gimp are not really the best for painting as they are not meant for it but photoshop does a decent job with it. Its been a while since I have dont anything like that so I forget the name.

If you do go with photoshop or illustrator take the time to LEARN how to use the pen tool. it takes time to learn but its worth it.
My loves are photoshop and ilustrator! they pretty easy to use smile

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i have corel painter which i really like, its like a cheap photoshop. ive tried the free trial of sai and loved it but i didnt see the point in buying it since ive already got coreel and the only thing i liked about sai that i dont already have is the blending tool

Feral Cat

6,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Hm. c: I see a lot of people talking about corel. So, I think I'm going to try the free trial for that. o3o

nuGen Staff Member

500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I use Corel Painter 11. If you buy a Wacom tablet you get both the latest Adobe Photoshop essentials and the latest Corel Painter essentials to try out before buying the full version's.

I started with Photoshop 7 but moved on to Painter 11 after doing allot of experimenting. There's an HD quality to all of Corel Painter's brush sets, in Photoshop there's no real HD standard, the quality very's from brush to brush. I also got tired of importing good brush into Photoshop. Corel Painter is a simulator of real life painting, the full version come with around 1000 brush type from all known art media, so you don't have to import brushes to get the style you want.

The last major thing was HD resolution. Painter can do the same sharpness as Photoshop with half the pixels. So you don't have to blow up your images real big to get all those nice details in. I never needed to go pass 2500 pixels with Painter.

Only bad thing with Corel Painter is that your going to need a powerful computer or Painter will end up crashing. Have at least over 1 GB of ram, 3 GHz or a Dual core processor, make shore your window's is running smoothy with out any virus.

Remember, you can use both Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop to do your artwork twice a fast once you get your style down to a layered formula.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff