Welcome to Gaia! ::

In terms of the difference between "CG" art, and something thats been drawn on photoshop. Is there difference? :S

Newbie Consumer

something drawn in photoshop is a cg but not all cgs are drawn in photoshop (computer graphics, people usually just say cg to mean drawn on the computer)
Oh, ok thanks. smile

Newbie Consumer

oh yeah and sometimes people say CGed to mean colored digitally but that's not really what it means idk
Derailleur has it right--CG literally means 'computer graphics'.

It's a very broad category that includes a lot of different styles, programs, etc. But overall it refers to any art made on the computer.

Like 'traditional' media, there are then sub-classes that are more specific types of CG, such as vector, 3D rendering, digital painting, etc.
Thanks guys, I get it now i think. xD
devils I know

It's a very broad category that includes a lot of different styles, programs, etc. But overall it refers to any art made on the computer.

Like 'traditional' media, there are then sub-classes that are more specific types of CG, such as vector, 3D rendering, digital painting, etc.

Ok, you seem to know alot about CG art. When people start an art shop, do the "better" or more popular artists make the image background transparent. Or do they just keep it white? And if they do make it transparent, how do they do it?
Lonely Complex
devils I know

Ok, you seem to know alot about CG art. When people start an art shop, do the "better" or more popular artists make the image background transparent. Or do they just keep it white? And if they do make it transparent, how do they do it?
That is really up to personal preference. It doesn't make an art piece better, really. It doesn't change the quality.

But there are two ways you can do it. Both require a program that allows transparency, like Photoshop. You either save as a GIF or a PNG. GIFs are smaller, but they have a limited color palette. PNGs show color as they are and don't compress them at all, but the file sizes are often very large.
related question, what does CGI stand for?
oceanwave
Computer Generated Imagery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery
devils I know
oceanwave
Computer Generated Imagery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

Ah, thankyou very much
So the CG in CGI does not mean the same thing as CG alone?

I always thought CG meant Computer Generated.

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
The Martian
So the CG in CGI does not mean the same thing as CG alone?

I always thought CG meant Computer Generated.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

Dangerous Hunter

10,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
derailleur
something drawn in photoshop is a cg but not all cgs are drawn in photoshop (computer graphics, people usually just say cg to mean drawn on the computer)

yep and they have anthor name for the old-school paint programe to but I for got the name starts with O sweatdrop
devils I know
Lonely Complex
devils I know

That is really up to personal preference. It doesn't make an art piece better, really. It doesn't change the quality.

But there are two ways you can do it. Both require a program that allows transparency, like Photoshop. You either save as a GIF or a PNG. GIFs are smaller, but they have a limited color palette. PNGs show color as they are and don't compress them at all, but the file sizes are often very large.

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces