Welcome to Gaia! ::

Freiheit
skipping all the emotion and art vs illustration argument:

You might be off to a bad start OP. From what I can see, you have some catching up to do in terms of skills, which is fine if you have good drawing habits. If art is something you only like doing occasionally, then it might be better as a hobby then a job. You've got all summer ahead of you, see if you can develop enough self-discipline to draw daily (even if just for an hour).

I don't quite agree with this. As someone who was essentially in the same boat as the OP, I just had to find what medium of art was my joy.

It is a completely different world out there, between drawing, painting, colored pencil, charcoal, graphic design, design in general, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, etc.

They are all "art" careers--all things that stem from the same desire to create beautiful things. Generally, this will always start out with drawing since its the basic and easiest thing that we are all taught in elementary school or even before then.

I have never in my life been a drawer--I just don't enjoy it much. There are times that I do, though. And it is those times that I have a lot of fun. But trying to force me to draw when I don't feel like it? Just won't happen.

Does that mean I have no passion for art? Does that mean I have no future in the field? No. At first I thought it was like that, but I just had to find what I loved to do. And I think that is something anyone needs to take in to consideration.

Anyone who loves to create, to make things, needs to find what medium best suites them. If they decide they love to paint but are not the world's greatest at proportions, that's just something they need to work at.

I had the raw, unrefined skill to have potential as a traditional 2D medium artist. But that's just not what I love to do, Sculpture is.

I'm not perfect at proportions either. My coloring technique is not perfect, either. It's all things that need to be practiced upon, but the only reason I have any motivation to do it is to help out my sculptures. I have to make a "map" essentially when dealing with any large (2 feet+) sculptures.

I think for the OP, though, that if they get to the point where they can't find that medium that gives them the motivation to work then that's when they should find a different path.

It's not any different than someone who wants a job helping people. Not all careers like that are the same, and they just need to find one that best harnesses their abilities.
Well everyone goes through a period where they cant seem to focus on their art. It's like artists block. Or maybe you're just at a standstill. Try looking at other peoples work and gathering new ideas. You can join groups online, like DeviantArt, and that will keep you motivated. Just keep pushing through, and if it's something you really want to do, you'll know in time. wink
Kozie
Freiheit
skipping all the emotion and art vs illustration argument:

You might be off to a bad start OP. From what I can see, you have some catching up to do in terms of skills, which is fine if you have good drawing habits. If art is something you only like doing occasionally, then it might be better as a hobby then a job. You've got all summer ahead of you, see if you can develop enough self-discipline to draw daily (even if just for an hour).

I don't quite agree with this. As someone who was essentially in the same boat as the OP, I just had to find what medium of art was my joy.

It is a completely different world out there, between drawing, painting, colored pencil, charcoal, graphic design, design in general, sculpture, jewelry, ceramics, photography, etc.

They are all "art" careers--all things that stem from the same desire to create beautiful things. Generally, this will always start out with drawing since its the basic and easiest thing that we are all taught in elementary school or even before then.

I have never in my life been a drawer--I just don't enjoy it much. There are times that I do, though. And it is those times that I have a lot of fun. But trying to force me to draw when I don't feel like it? Just won't happen.

Does that mean I have no passion for art? Does that mean I have no future in the field? No. At first I thought it was like that, but I just had to find what I loved to do. And I think that is something anyone needs to take in to consideration.

Anyone who loves to create, to make things, needs to find what medium best suites them. If they decide they love to paint but are not the world's greatest at proportions, that's just something they need to work at.

I had the raw, unrefined skill to have potential as a traditional 2D medium artist. But that's just not what I love to do, Sculpture is.

I'm not perfect at proportions either. My coloring technique is not perfect, either. It's all things that need to be practiced upon, but the only reason I have any motivation to do it is to help out my sculptures. I have to make a "map" essentially when dealing with any large (2 feet+) sculptures.

I think for the OP, though, that if they get to the point where they can't find that medium that gives them the motivation to work then that's when they should find a different path.

It's not any different than someone who wants a job helping people. Not all careers like that are the same, and they just need to find one that best harnesses their abilities.

I'm basing my assumptions with the idea that OP wants to be in an illustration-related field. I'm also taking into account OP's ideal goal is to live of her future career with as little income supplement as possible (rather then have her career be her ''job on the side'').

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff