Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Phantom

What would you want if you made your own video game?

Distinct Elder

A decent female character.
Itchy the Hatter
A decent female character.
Could you define "decent"?
I'm curious what people consider to be a "decent" female character, as there are lots of games with playable leading ladies.

Distinct Elder

Eizoryu
I'm curious what people consider to be a "decent" female character, as there are lots of games with playable leading ladies.

A female character whose purpose, personality, goals, appearance, etc. is not to serve the interests of the developers, other characters, or viewer as opposed to herself. She should be compelling, believable, and relateable. Her actions should drive the story forward for herself as much as any other character's would.

This doesn't mean she can't be attractive or she can't have a boyfriend or she can't be injured on screen, it just should happen for a compelling reason. Most female characters are used as a vehicle for another character or just as something for the viewer to enjoy.

I think some good examples are Halsey from Halo and Jade from Beyond Good & Evil to name some off the top of my head. It's not that they don't exist it's just that a lot of designers kinda miss the boat on what "a good female character" is. They think, "Oh, her tits are small, so she's not sexualized," or "She doesn't have a boyfriend so she's a strong character," or "She saves herself, so she's not a damsel in distress," but oftentimes avoiding one trope leads designers into three others they seem blind to.

It's not that hard. Just think of what makes a good character then make it female.

Friendly Phantom

Itchy the Hatter
Eizoryu

A female character whose purpose, personality, goals, appearance, etc. is not to serve the interests of the developers, other characters, or viewer as opposed to herself. She should be compelling, believable, and relateable. Her actions should drive the story forward for herself as much as any other character's would.

This doesn't mean she can't be attractive or she can't have a boyfriend or she can't be injured on screen, it just should happen for a compelling reason. Most female characters are used as a vehicle for another character or just as something for the viewer to enjoy.

I think some good examples are Halsey from Halo and Jade from Beyond Good & Evil to name some off the top of my head. It's not that they don't exist it's just that a lot of designers kinda miss the boat on what "a good female character" is. They think, "Oh, her tits are small, so she's not sexualized," or "She doesn't have a boyfriend so she's a strong character," or "She saves herself, so she's not a damsel in distress," but oftentimes avoiding one trope leads designers into three others they seem blind to.

It's not that hard. Just think of what makes a good character then make it female.
What would you want in an MMO setting game?
Choices that actually cascade into rewards and consequences later in the game that weren't painfully obvious at the moment you made the choice. Also, that those choices didn't end up being pointless and you wind up in the same boat in the end anyway.

Friendly Phantom

SailorVera
Choices that actually cascade into rewards and consequences later in the game that weren't painfully obvious at the moment you made the choice. Also, that those choices didn't end up being pointless and you wind up in the same boat in the end anyway.
So say you were in a game world and you were doing quests for a certain type of people. That basically helping dictate who are nice to you and who are mean to you.

Distinct Elder

The Creeper VAN

As many female class/character variety that allows both male and female enjoyment/projection as male classes... or at least close. Variety, basically.

Typically in MMOs or MOBAs the males get to be thin, fat, hairy, old, cool, ugly, muscular, short, etc. while women get to be fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-small-breasts, fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-medium-breasts, fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-large-breasts, and children (sometimes). Kinda weird that the only body part that's allowed to really vary in female character design is tit size.

"Oh, she's a heavy character, that's why she's got massive tits, but the rest of her looks like every other female character - trim, young, and attractive." Okay.
Itchy the Hatter
The Creeper VAN

As many female class/character variety that allows both male and female enjoyment/projection as male classes... or at least close. Variety, basically.

Typically in MMOs or MOBAs the males get to be thin, fat, hairy, old, cool, ugly, muscular, short, etc. while women get to be fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-small-breasts, fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-medium-breasts, fit-young-20-something-year-old-with-large-breasts, and children (sometimes). Kinda weird that the only body part that's allowed to really vary in female character design is tit size.

"Oh, she's a heavy character, that's why she's got massive tits, but the rest of her looks like every other female character - trim, young, and attractive." Okay.

you need to find some games with better character creators.

Distinct Elder

SailorVera
you need to find some games with better character creators.

I mean. I'm just going off the mainstream MMOs and MOBAs. Maybe there's some indie game made by girls for girls or some feminist club looking to break video game cliches, but most of what you'll find at a game store or the front page of a game website is what I'm describing, so I don't know what games you're playing that are exceptions?

Honestly, I don't play any of them except League, and it's sure as hell not for the character designs. I don't have time for any other games.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff