Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Soldier

So i just got a wacom tablet and I'm absolutely lost =D yep. No surprise really i'm a bit of a block head sometimes. Anyway, I'd gladly take any advice you guys can give. send me your fave tutorial's and give me suggestions on what programs you use. (I'm using FireAlpaca right now) Thanks in advance for any who stop by.

Celestial Dog

What exactly are you lost in? Just getting used to the tablet?

I'd recommend starting off slow. Don't dive right into lineart, you'll drive yourself crazy. I learned how to use a tablet by just starting off with coloring stuff in. It helps get a good sense of hand-eye coordination without needing things to be perfect (think like a kid learning from using a coloring book). When you feel more confident, start doing some rough doodles.

Tablets can be kind of a pain to get accustomed to (you have to readjust to using them every time you get a new computer/screen, too gonk )

As far as programs go, I use Manga Studio 5. It's great. Plus I think it's currently on sale for super cheap on amazon right now? It goes on sale a lot. Firealpaca's a good free program, though. I'm glad that it came around because prior GIMP was the only free art program and oh my god was it terrible.

Anxious Phantom

Hi! I remember when I first started using a tablet. It takes a long time getting used to, but some people are better at adapting to it than others. The main road block is probably developing the hand-eye coordination needed to draw something on one surface and watch it appear on another.

Paint Tool SAI is a really good software that I'd recommend to pretty much anyone! It's around 50 dollars, and I won't promote pirating but I will say that I recall there being a torrent of it or something if you truly can't afford it...

Anyway, I brought up SAI because it has a thingy on it that's really helpful for people not used to tablets! It's a stabilizer, and there are different settings for it that can slow down your brush stroke and also keep it steady. (I have shaky hands, it's always been such a life saver for me ^_^" wink

Hope this is helpful! Ask if you have any more questions c:
You are very good free minded

Anxious Cat

19,790 Points
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Congrats on the new tablet (man, I wish I could get a new one but I'm poor). There's not a lot of tutorials on FireAlpaca sadly, but the interface is pretty simple, so I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. I really wish there were more tutorials for the program though sweatdrop

Although there is this Tumblr account that answers a lot of questions regarding FireAlpaca. If you ever run into problems, this place might help. unless you're gonna use SAI cause that's a lot better than FireAlpaca but it costs money and piracy and all x_x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff