Welcome to Gaia! ::

Salty Citizen

7,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Cart Raider 100
I know a lot of people will not read this because of how long it seems, but I took the time (which wasn't even really anything at all) and I now feel very grateful for doing so. I just want to thank every helpful person on this thread biggrin

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kuni-Rutaria
I know a lot of people will not read this because of how long it seems, but I took the time (which wasn't even really anything at all) and I now feel very grateful for doing so. I just want to thank every helpful person on this thread biggrin

You're welcome! heart

Shameless Hunter

very helpful! thank you!

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
Thanks, this thread is aaawesome!! heart Makes me desperate to start life drawing again... Have you seen "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators"? I love that book! Really useful when trying to get life and movement into drawings.
What annoys me is when some people ask for criticism without knowing exactly what it is. I mean, someone will post an image that needs some degree of work, as (lets face it) most images do. Then someone else will respond with an honest, constructive criticism with regards to anatomy, perspective, colour - all the good stuff. And the original poster will flip out and say "but this is my style" or "yeah yeah, I'm not an expert, I'm just doing this for fun". Asking for critique is not asking for praise: a critique is to help the artist grow and get an honest reaction to their work. If you want blind cheerleading, ask a family member or a friend. If you want to get better, ask for critique from a supportive art community who knows their stuff.
Criticism hurts like hell sometimes, but its good to get a wake up call. I had a tutor who used to laugh openly at my sketchbook (sometimes even rip pages out or draw over some images) and I wanted to punch him in the face, but it really made me want to get better at drawing. I'm still not great but I always remember him and want to push myself to achieve better.
Sorry for the rant - again, thanks for the info!
            omfg so much s**t on the first page bump

Liberal Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Survivor 150
FRONT PAGE NOW

Salty Citizen

7,100 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Cart Raider 100
Amelia Austerlitz
Thanks, this thread is aaawesome!! heart Makes me desperate to start life drawing again... Have you seen "Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators"? I love that book! Really useful when trying to get life and movement into drawings.
What annoys me is when some people ask for criticism without knowing exactly what it is. I mean, someone will post an image that needs some degree of work, as (lets face it) most images do. Then someone else will respond with an honest, constructive criticism with regards to anatomy, perspective, colour - all the good stuff. And the original poster will flip out and say "but this is my style" or "yeah yeah, I'm not an expert, I'm just doing this for fun". Asking for critique is not asking for praise: a critique is to help the artist grow and get an honest reaction to their work. If you want blind cheerleading, ask a family member or a friend. If you want to get better, ask for critique from a supportive art community who knows their stuff.
Criticism hurts like hell sometimes, but its good to get a wake up call. I had a tutor who used to laugh openly at my sketchbook (sometimes even rip pages out or draw over some images) and I wanted to punch him in the face, but it really made me want to get better at drawing. I'm still not great but I always remember him and want to push myself to achieve better.
Sorry for the rant - again, thanks for the info!

I completely agree, I hate it when people get angry at me for pointing out a few flaws, when I'm trying to help the best that I can. It has personally helped me leaps and bounds to listen to others.

Liberal Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Survivor 150

Amateur Mage

Yay! People are posting on this thread again!

Amateur Mage

To the top!

Liberal Fatcat

7,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Survivor 150
Sugah Bee
Yay! People are posting on this thread again!

I know, I was getting worried too. :3

Devoted Saint

Funny, I have decided to go back to the basics again smile so finding this is wonderful resource.

Questionable Pal

9,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Junior 100
Wow, that was a great read. Very informative! biggrin

Fluffy Wolf

14,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Team Edward 100
Woah, glad to see this is still around.