Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Sera Michaelis
link freak131

This could just be me, but, would the Death Note manga be a good example?

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I too believe that Obata is a great example of manga stylized well. His art in Death Note is popular with even the most wapanese of weaboos, who normally seem to prefer horrible art with huge moe eyes.

I also like Takehiko Inoue a lot, but I don't think he'd make it as an example here because... of that thing with the photos a while back... sweatdrop

Yes on Obata. Does he have a blog or web site or something? I googled his name and all I could find was mentions of him on other sites and some news about him being arrested for carrying a knife. User Image

Not going to add Inoue here, since he plagiarizes and all. I used to like him too. neutral

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kendaroo
Snip

I'm going to link to this post on the OP. Thank you so much for this!
Fansub
Kendaroo
Snip

I'm going to link to this post on the OP. Thank you so much for this!

Glad I could help smile

I was going to post it in that old drawing from life thread ages ago when people were posting their "before and after life drawing" samples, but I never got around to it.

Fashionable Shopper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fansub

Yes on Obata. Does he have a blog or web site or something? I googled his name and all I could find was mentions of him on other sites and some news about him being arrested for carrying a knife. User Image

Not going to add Inoue here, since he plagiarizes and all. I used to like him too. neutral

For some reason, he doesn't seem to have his own website. :/ The best I can find is collections that other people put together, this one is decent. Star Wars bonus!

I have to admit I was pretty crushed when I found out about Inoue. He was one of my biggest inspirations a few years ago, when I was still transitioning away from moe desu. You were the one who posted the link the first time I saw it. Why must you destroy my dreams?

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Sera Michaelis
I have to admit I was pretty crushed when I found out about Inoue. He was one of my biggest inspirations a few years ago, when I was still transitioning away from moe desu. You were the one who posted the link the first time I saw it. Why must you destroy my dreams?

Oh it's nothing personal, I'm just trying to steal Miri's job as THE CRUSHER OF DREAMS. Thanks for the link, adding it.
Fansub

I'd like to suggest an artist to add to the list of examples.
Ayami Kojima
She does the illustration and design for the Castlevania series.

Gallery with her art

Edit: I hope it's okay suggesting her. :3

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
LabTech Recett
Fansub

I'd like to suggest an artist to add to the list of examples.
Ayami Kojima
She does the illustration and design for the Castlevania series.

Gallery with her art

Edit: I hope it's okay suggesting her. :3

Adding to the list.
Fansub
Sera Michaelis

Oh it's nothing personal, I'm just trying to steal Miri's job as THE CRUSHER OF DREAMS. Thanks for the link, adding it.

Hahahah. I think you do the title more justice than me most of the time.

I'm willing to abdicate the CrusherofDreams throne to you, worthy successor. /bows

EDIT: Though only if I can be your "Right Hand of Righteous Wrath" wink
You explained yourself particularly well, but I just don't know if it's actually going to get through to many people. D: A lot of these kids that are dead set on drawing sparkly animu will probably read this and go "eh, you're wrong, I'm right, stfu."

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Miri-love

I'm willing to abdicate the CrusherofDreams throne to you, worthy successor. /bows

HAHAHAHAHHAA YES

YESSSSS

THE WORLD IS MINE!!!!

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kadsy
You explained yourself particularly well, but I just don't know if it's actually going to get through to many people. D: A lot of these kids that are dead set on drawing sparkly animu will probably read this and go "eh, you're wrong, I'm right, stfu."

You're probably right, but you know, then I can say "welp, I tried". And if I link people to this thread and they don't listen, at least I didn't waste any time replying to them...
Fansub
Miri-love

HAHAHAHAHHAA YES

YESSSSS

THE WORLD IS MINE!!!!

surprised
Fansub
Kadsy

You're probably right, but you know, then I can say "welp, I tried". And if I link people to this thread and they don't listen, at least I didn't waste any time replying to them...

YEAH MAN. YOU SHOW THOSE KIDS WHO'S BAWSS. cool

Also, I have this to share: http://kadsy.deviantart.com/#/d38s1yc

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Kadsy
Fansub
Kadsy

YEAH MAN. YOU SHOW THOSE KIDS WHO'S BAWSS. cool

Also, I have this to share: http://kadsy.deviantart.com/#/d38s1yc

If only they were kids. Half the time it turns out we're talking to manchildren. neutral

I'll add your tutorial.
Actually, I won't -- I'd like this thread to be about life drawing and learning to observe stuff on their own. That tutorial would be a shortcut. Thanks, though.

O.G. Partier

You need crappy examples from people who give them willingly? They don't match up with stuff like what you have, but if I can't be a good example, I'm always a great bad one. Pretty bad , or if "third thing someone ever drew" isn't fair, I was like 19 when I made this mess. But I do think often people just won't listen; I recall trying to show someone a comparison once, because I know I'm not great but I hoped perhaps my bad example would make clear how little drawing just anime works, but they insisted there was no difference they could see between that and my current stuff. gonk

I think it's also really, really important to remember and emphasize that drawing from life is not drawing "semi-realism," or "realism" shading or "style" from your head. It is not about a doodle of a person who has more than a line for a nose, because all that teaches usually is how to polish. I know I learned no more from that when I was younger, and I see a confusion between the two a lot. That stuff is just a variant on drawing anime - it's regurgitating what you think a person looks like, rather than drawing one, and also just ingrains bad habits.

This thread is amazing. I want to gush about how nicely you structure the point in a way where it answers the important questions in a way that'll really get over a lot of the frequent questions and arguments, but I'm keeping people waiting in the car who don't appreciate an internet addiction, so I'll have to just leave it at how much I'd like to say about how great this is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff