Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Vampire

6,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Ja, I don't like post modernism either.

Mostly because I think the whole point of art is expressing yourself. If you're just going to throw up some picture of some random crap that doesn't look like anything in particular, you're defeating the whole point of expressing yourself because nobody knows what you're trying to express, and it just looks like laziness because you're compelling me to see something I want to see, rather than what you want me to see.

Well, that's just my opinion anyways.

Aged Codger

Algorithmus

Mostly because I think the whole point of art is expressing yourself. If you're just going to throw up some picture of some random crap that doesn't look like anything in particular, you're defeating the whole point of expressing yourself because nobody knows what you're trying to express, and it just looks like laziness because you're compelling me to see something I want to see, rather than what you want me to see.

Or you could throw a bunch of random paint on a picture because you're trying to piss people off and trying to make something unique and new, which is what Polack did. The guy was clasically trained, but he intentionally threw away his sketches because he wanted to focus only on the new things he was trying.

I'm not a fan of post-modern or contemporary artwork at all. There's nothing appealing or redeeming, and I feel some of the artists are just trying to make a quick buck with minimal effort (and props to them that they do). Yet I have to respect the artists for thinking outside the box and trying different things.

(also sup do you remember me from the icyforums?)

5,550 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Regular 100
So you're a legend. And you wrote that in such a hip and fresh way in which i both enjoyed educationally and humorously

Aged Vampire

6,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Annie Felis
Algorithmus

Or you could throw a bunch of random paint on a picture because you're trying to piss people off and trying to make something unique and new, which is what Polack did. The guy was clasically trained, but he intentionally threw away his sketches because he wanted to focus only on the new things he was trying.

I'm not a fan of post-modern or contemporary artwork at all. There's nothing appealing or redeeming, and I feel some of the artists are just trying to make a quick buck with minimal effort (and props to them that they do). Yet I have to respect the artists for thinking outside the box and trying different things.

(also sup do you remember me from the icyforums?)

It just looked to me like it was The Emperor's New Clothes. Surely, someone tell me I'm just looking at a bunch of ink blots that don't look like anything in particular, and nothing more.

Now I'm not against people trying abstract art; if it makes you happy, more power to you. Just don't get upset if people don't appreciate it.

I might vaguely remember you. What was your username there again?

Aged Codger

Algorithmus

Annie Felis. If you want to find me anywhere on the internet, I'm Annie Felis. It's weird because I went to your DA page after you linked it in another topic, and your DA username and art was familiar. Took a few minutes to click, because you were active at Icy's in 2008 or so.

Aged Vampire

6,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Annie Felis
Algorithmus

Annie Felis. If you want to find me anywhere on the internet, I'm Annie Felis. It's weird because I went to your DA page after you linked it in another topic, and your DA username and art was familiar. Took a few minutes to click, because you were active at Icy's in 2008 or so.

Ja, I was back there then, but I can't seem to remember too many people from back there. It was too long ago. Sorry about that.

Anyways, I'll just stop hijacking this thread about this and we can talk about the good old days through PM or something.

Friendly Heckler

I love you. Can you write my textbooks from now on?
Miramelle

Multiple professors have tried to encourage me to go on and get an MA in art history.

******** that. I'm getting an MFA.

You'll find me teaching anatomy, basic drawing, and fundamental color theory to college freshman in a few years. 3nodding

Friendly Heckler

Better Than You Are
Miramelle

Multiple professors have tried to encourage me to go on and get an MA in art history.

******** that. I'm getting an MFA.

You'll find me teaching anatomy, basic drawing, and fundamental color theory to college freshman in a few years. 3nodding

I'm with you and your ambitious plans here!
Sadly, I've just finished drawing and color theory, and I'm taking art history next semester. I can dream, though! There's still hope for an awesome anatomy teacher...if I can hang around college long enough.
With all the questions of art history on the front page, up you go.
Not to rain on any parades, and I totally loved reading it, but the OP's summary is really, really out of order.
Because this is relevant to my interests...

Newbie Noob

You might want to mention the invention of photography, it's a great influence behind impressionali because art could never capture a subject as well as
A photo. So, artists switched to capturing the feeling of the subject.
            hey guys so this is a very nice thread and i think we should bump it so more people can read it yeah thats what i think guys

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I've always hated my art history classes (contemporary and modern). It always did bore me, but yet, it's quite essential to design emotion_0A0
I think that's what I hated most about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff