Welcome to Gaia! ::

The history of the avant-garde:

Basically, the early modernists/impressionists looked at the Establishment Salon and went ******** YOU WE'RE GONNA DO WHAT WE WANT.

And for a while, everyone went with it. The cubists and fauves eventually formed their own special clubs that worshiped African sculpture, and everyone looked at it and went "HEY THATS COOL CAN WE JOIN?!" And they said "LOL NO" so the expressionists and futurists made their own special clubs that were similar BUT TOTLLY DIFFERENT GUIS from the cubists.

Then WW1 happened and everyone was like "OH s**t". Cubism, futurism, and expressionism fell out of favor cause they were considered elitist and their intellectual optimism didn't fit with how much the world sucked. Many artists went back to realism, cause well, the world sucked so abstraction and intellectualism was no longer fun.

The dadaists came forward with a "Everything sucks and nothing makes sense, so our art isn't going to make sense and we're going to point out the fact that the world sucks." They also laughed at the elitism of ART, and loved mass production, so they tried to blur the lines between art and machinery. Everything was art as long as you said it was, ALA Duchamp's ready mades.

This gave the ability to De stijl, Bauhaus, and the Constructivists to shout "DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE IS ART TOO GUIS!" and they started mass producing art, and using their artistic skills to design every day objects that were useful. They wanted to bring art and good design to the EVERYMAN.

Surrealism also grew out of Dada, which embraced weirdness for the sake of weird, and trying to bring art back to some basic, subconscious world. They like sex and thought Freud was a cool guy.

Then the Nazis (and Commies) came and chased them all out of Europe to America or killed them cause they were a weird bunch of freaks anyways.

THE END

Epilogue: In ******** they all invented a NEW INTERNATIONAL STYLE YO and made lots of money that they cried themselves to sleep on cause they were so misunderstood.

Epilogue II: The Americans they taught to be weird freaks were used by the CIA to defeat the RED b*****d COMMIES and bring INDIVIDUALITY back to Europe.

Epilogue III- Feminism rejects the PHALLUS and celebrates the v****a that gave birth to POST MODERNISM. Pie was served by Ms. Chicago.

Epilogue IIII- Post modernism looks at this s**t, calls modernists a bunch of ******** PROGRESSIVE OPTIMISTS who succeeded at NOTHING, and turns art into irony and cynicism. They declare Duchamp a god and TROLL ON.

Widow

I feel like I've learned so much smile

Dapper Spotter

I totally just finished a History of Modern Art class. I should have just read this instead mad

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Dern it OP, were where you 5 months ago? This would have came in handy while I was taken 2 classes on modern art and is slightly more entertaining.
Thanks guys.

I just finished a history of modernism and a visual arts theory class, and needed to let out some steam and not take this s**t seriously.

Exam on post WW1 avante garde is tomorrow. So many ******** russians. Ew.
Summed up perfectly, OP

Leaf

I just...

yes

yes please everywhere.

Epilogue II is my dream. Need another communist revolution so the CIA can pay me please and thank you.

Please join our AD family. We need you.

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
For a moment I thought I was back in high school in a class of a teacher that still loved their job and wished that their students understood what the epochs were about.

tl;dr: Me gusta.

Trafficker

rofl

Days later it's still glorious to read. I still say there needs to be a popup book of this (COME ON, AD, you should do this).

...But it's why I will not be pursuing fine art. *kicks a rock* EVERYONE RUINED EVERYTHING and I'm surprised there hasn't been stuff like a re-Liberation of Aunt Jemima or some piece with some sculptural addition of excrement sitting in Sherri Levine's gold version of Duchamp's Fountain.
Aaaaaaand you pretty much just summarized in a single post my last FULL semester in Modern Art History class.
NuMedia Millie
I just...

yes

yes please everywhere.

Epilogue II is my dream. Need another communist revolution so the CIA can pay me please and thank you.

Oh, I'm part of the family. You know me well. I'm just on another account. razz

Leaf

Better Than You Are
NuMedia Millie
I just...

yes

yes please everywhere.

Oh, I'm part of the family. You know me well. I'm just on another account. razz
8D heart

Leaf

gogogogogo

Leaf

I still love this. All must see.
NuMedia Millie
I still love this. All must see.

It is fabulous, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Submit