Welcome to Gaia! ::

What brand of tablets, other than Wacom, should I include?

Trust 0.12701612903226 12.7% [ 63 ]
Aiptek 0.080645161290323 8.1% [ 40 ]
Digipro/UC Logic 0.090725806451613 9.1% [ 45 ]
Genius 0.32258064516129 32.3% [ 160 ]
Calcomp 0.038306451612903 3.8% [ 19 ]
Other (Please Specify) 0.34072580645161 34.1% [ 169 ]
Total Votes:[ 496 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 >

I BUMP BECAUSE I CAN HURRR

Generous Humorist

11,050 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Found this on Tumblr that a person giving away
Anyone here use it before if so is it good? will is work on a Mac?
Monoprice Tablet.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Swordy Hero

User Image

The Official Tablet Discussion Thread!

In a nutshell, a tablet is a pen version of a mouse. You slide your pen across a plastic surface, which is picked up by your computer, and it moves the mouse. Basically, it's like emulating using pen and paper, since tablets even pick up how hard or light you push.
What do you do when you lose the pen?
felinoel

To put it simply: you're royally ********] Okay, no. Not really. Some manufacturers sell tablet pens as standalone items.
            I know that Wacom does it for sure, but don't ask me about other brands. Just keep in mind that pens are pretty expensive.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Vrazhe
felinoel

To put it simply: you're royally ********] Okay, no. Not really. Some manufacturers sell tablet pens as standalone items.
            I know that Wacom does it for sure, but don't ask me about other brands. Just keep in mind that pens are pretty expensive.
Yeah I've noticed they are expensive... might as well buy a new tablet... >.>

I have an Intuos 2
            long time no bump
Hi! I'm looking to buy a tablet soon and I'd really like to get myself a Bamboo Create. However, it's a tad too expensive for my parent's liking if I'm using their credit card to buy it online (just one more year till I get my own card), so I'd like to know what your opinions are on the Bamboo Capture and the Bamboo Splash?

I'd love to save a hundred bucks and get either the Capture or the Splash, but I'm mainly concerned about the working space of those two tablets. The size seems so small, like the size of my hand! But I've seen demo videos of those tablets and the working space appears larger than what it is. For those of you who have the Splash or Capture, is the size of the tablet manageable? Also, the Create has the eraser option. Is that a huge advantage?

I guess I'm just asking: will the cheaper, smaller tablets get the job done? I would include the Bamboo Fun as one of my options, but I live in Canada and it seems that product is only available in Europe and I don't fancy paying the shipping fee.

Thanks for your help : )

Newbie Noob

You know, I owned an intous before I bought my cintiq, and I really believe the cintiq is much easier/faster to use. Theres less controll-z ing
which tablet are they talkin bout

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
            S.O.S. TOO MUCH MISPLACED s**t

Magic Hero

I want a tablet with a screen so I can see what I'm drawing without having to look back at the computer screen constantly. I don't see anything in the info of any tablet but the Cinteq thing that indicates a screen that shows what you are drawing.

I just want to see what I'm doing right there as I do it. If a tablet is a "touch tablet", does that mean it will have an actual screen so I can draw more naturally?
Crusader Gio
I want a tablet with a screen so I can see what I'm drawing without having to look back at the computer screen constantly. I don't see anything in the info of any tablet but the Cinteq thing that indicates a screen that shows what you are drawing.

I just want to see what I'm doing right there as I do it. If a tablet is a "touch tablet", does that mean it will have an actual screen so I can draw more naturally?

What you want is an embedded LCD tablet, which is pretty much a crossover between a tablet and a screen. Cintiq is perhaps the most famous one, but you can always find other models like Hitachi or whatever.

However, some points you might want to know:
            1. If you need to look back between your generic tablet and a computer screen then YOU'RE DOING IT SO HORRIBLY WRONG. When you use a tablet, you don't look at it (hell, what's the point? You won't see s**t anyway). You always look at your screen. Sure, if you're a tablet noob then this might sound ridiculous, but that's how it works. Tablets fully exploit your eye-hand coordination. If this coordination is lacking, what you actually need is practice, and not an LCD tablet.

2. Contrary to what you might think, the LCD tablet will not make you draw "more naturally". In fact, many people consider Cintiq a complete pain in the a** because it's heavy, inconvenient, and in fact it can be hard to get a natural angle at this s**t. I had a (doubtful) pleasure of using a Cintiq back when I was considering buying it, and it was an awful experience. If you really want a Cintiq, make sure to test one beforehand.

Hope I helped.
Should the Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet be added to this list? I'm actually curious about it. Apparently the included stylus and the Wacom digitizer don't really impress non-artistic types of tech bloggers, so no one's really talking about it.

I only know about it from Jerzy Drozd, who has had a good experience using the tablet with the LayerPaint app. (The tablet comes with a mobile Photoshop version, also.)

Anyway, at $500 it could be a decent contender as far as portable art-devices go. Especially if you don't want a full-on tablet PC for ~$2,000.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff