Welcome to Gaia! ::

I would like to interact with the computer much as I would with pen on paper...specifically, to create shading effects like stippling and cross-hatching manually (not using a filter).

Is it a matter of settings? Or using something different than the usual Adobe tools?

I haven't had any luck doing cross-hatching in Illustrator...it just doesn't seem to support drawing lots of little lines in close proximity. Likewise, stippling in Photoshop kinda chokes because it generally seems to expect a stroke, not a dot.

I can come close to these effects with a lot of time and effort, but it loses spontaneity, and it's also just plain painful.

Ideally, I'd like to create effects like the fine lines of a silverpoint print or elaborate stippling in something vector-based where I could scale it up, but even working raster would be a start.

I'm on Windows 7 using a Wacom tablet with CS5.
I just stippled a million tiny stars last night.

User Image

I drew that in Adobe Illustrator CS6. Here is how to get the tool I used:

Select "Blob Brush Tool" (Shift+B on your keyboard). Press "Enter" to open brush settings. Set you Fidelity to something low; 1-2 should be fine. Set you size accordingly (it all depends on how large you are working. Make it about how big you would want a quick tap to make), then set the drop-down menu to "Pressure". Move the "Variation" slider to maximum.

Now you should be able to just tap-tap-tap-tap-tap on your tablet and get varied sizes depending on quickness/hardness of your tap (just like in real life, woohoo!).

For hatching, I would also recommend this tool. You could turn the Fidelity up (fidelity is how much line-smoothing occurs. You can easily see this demonstrated by drawing a jagged line with Fidelity all the way up vs. all the way down) to help with straightness of lines if that is something you want. I might also recommend a tighter variation on your size, so that they are a bit more uniform (this could also be applied to the stippling).

Try experimenting with that? Works great for me! (:
ASHLEYASDFGH
I just stippled a million tiny stars last night.

I drew that in Adobe Illustrator CS6. Here is how to get the tool I used:

Select "Blob Brush Tool" (Shift+B on your keyboard). Press "Enter" to open brush settings. Set you Fidelity to something low; 1-2 should be fine. Set you size accordingly (it all depends on how large you are working. Make it about how big you would want a quick tap to make), then set the drop-down menu to "Pressure". Move the "Variation" slider to maximum.

Now you should be able to just tap-tap-tap-tap-tap on your tablet and get varied sizes depending on quickness/hardness of your tap (just like in real life, woohoo!).

For hatching, I would also recommend this tool. You could turn the Fidelity up (fidelity is how much line-smoothing occurs. You can easily see this demonstrated by drawing a jagged line with Fidelity all the way up vs. all the way down) to help with straightness of lines if that is something you want. I might also recommend a tighter variation on your size, so that they are a bit more uniform (this could also be applied to the stippling).

Try experimenting with that? Works great for me! (:

AHA! Thank you! I had a feeling it might be something in the settings, but I hadn't had any luck fiddling so far.

I'll definitely give this a try!!!
a bottle of war
AHA! Thank you! I had a feeling it might be something in the settings, but I hadn't had any luck fiddling so far.

I'll definitely give this a try!!!

Good luck, have fun, go learn! haha!
I would die without the blob brush tool heart

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I've done iit in paint.

User Image

Use the straight line tool.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff