Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Fatcat

If I were to reference someones drawing for the pose only, do I need to give credit to the user if I post the art publicly?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
It would be a good idea. Copying is copying, and if you're not upfront about it, people will come out of the woodwork to expose the truth. Keep in mind, even if you do tell people you copied another person's art, you're going to get negative feedback. Copying art is largely frowned upon.

It would be an even better idea to find a stock photo of the pose you want and draw from that. Stock photos aren't like standard photos. They're posted specifically for artists to use, and the photographers set up rules for using their stock - usually just a request to link back to their gallery, or to give them a cut if you use what you create for profit.

You'll have to work harder to transform a photo if you have a very cartoonish or exaggerated style, but it will be your own, not somebody else's work that you piggybacked off of. That's something you can be proud of once you're done.

Romantic Fatcat

Lychee Fruit
It would be a good idea. Copying is copying, and if you're not upfront about it, people will come out of the woodwork to expose the truth. Keep in mind, even if you do tell people you copied another person's art, you're going to get negative feedback. Copying art is largely frowned upon.

It would be an even better idea to find a stock photo of the pose you want and draw from that. Stock photos aren't like standard photos. They're posted specifically for artists to use, and the photographers set up rules for using their stock - usually just a request to link back to their gallery, or to give them a cut if you use what you create for profit.

You'll have to work harder to transform a photo if you have a very cartoonish or exaggerated style, but it will be your own, not somebody else's work that you piggybacked off of. That's something you can be proud of once you're done.

Alright, thank you!

Interesting Cat

1,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't think that's necessary.
The pose references aren't really a big deal, since those kind of references help to improve your ability to draw different posses.

Even so, it's fine to credit the original artist since it's a wise thing to do. yum_puddi

Unless if you use someone else's OCs as references. Those kind of references can heavily impacted your style in the future, and may similarize your style with the original artist.. Always give credit the the user in this case.

that's my opinion .3.
In art school we reference things constantly without the need to credit "well, I used Hannah, the model, as a reference" or 'I stacked up some plates on the counter for reference"

If you're making a replica for the sake of practice I would absolutely credit, but if you're just pulling colour ideas or other small elements from the picture itself, I see no reason to credit it unless you want to.

Celestial Dog

it's absolutely something you should do any time you used someone else's work.
give credit where credit is due, yeah?

even if it's something minor, it both shows honesty and respect when you just mention that the artist inspired or helped you.
If you were to trace somebody's art, that'd be one thing. You should either ask for permission, or not do it in the first place, in that case.

But it's a straight-up given that in order to make a successful piece you need to have reference, or else have a very strong visual library in your head (which you can only build by using reference over and over until you've memorized how to do it).

Since you're referencing a drawing, unless that drawing is photorealistic and none of the anatomy is abstracted, it would be best for you to take a photograph of yourself or another person in the pose in question so that you can see how the body is really doing whatever the pose is and compare it to the drawing so you can see where the artist abstracted, exaggerated, or didn't know what s/he was doing, etc.

It's nice to say, "I was inspired by ____." You might as well. But, artists copy all the time because that is what we DO in order to build a visual library. Unless you're copying some iconic, unmistakably-not-yours pose, or jacking the entire composition, I wouldn't worry about going, you know, "This girl sitting here on this bus bench, I drew her after sparklepooky83's 'Girl No Sitsu In Bussu Chan' on deviant art n_n *linku* Go love her!. "

Distinct Elder

No one owns poses. Assuming you know the meaning of "referencing," no.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff