Welcome to Gaia! ::

Neophyte Punching Bag

8,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I heard that about 60% either drop out or don't get invited back into California College of the Arts. And that the first year is super intense, what should I expect exactly..? Or what and how should I prepare myself for first year? Coming from a small island who's people don't really hold an honest/ direct tongue, I know that I have to have to be able to not take things personally when getting critiqued up there, but what other skills should I learn in order to ready myself?
I think a lot of art colleges have a high drop out rate because it wasn't what people were expecting. As for not being invited back, then the people who were there didn't work hard enough.

Don't stress yourself before you're even there. Work hard and don't be afraid to ask your profs for help and/or guidance. They're there for you.
And if you've already been accepted you have the skills required for a first year, you don't need to walk in a pro, they'll teach you everything you need to know as you progress through the semesters.

Demonic OTP

15,875 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
Drowzy Sheep
I heard that about 60% either drop out or don't get invited back into California College of the Arts. And that the first year is super intense, what should I expect exactly..? Or what and how should I prepare myself for first year? Coming from a small island who's people don't really hold an honest/ direct tongue, I know that I have to have to be able to not take things personally when getting critiqued up there, but what other skills should I learn in order to ready myself?

Are you currently attending CCA? If so what is your major? We might have a class together! (I'm a first year too!)

Neophyte Punching Bag

8,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep

Are you currently attending CCA? If so what is your major? We might have a class together! (I'm a first year too!)

Yup! I'm an animation major. How about you?

Demonic OTP

15,875 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep

Me too! I have animation 1 at 4:00 - 7:00, Mon. and Wed. How about you?

Neophyte Punching Bag

8,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep

I wasn't able to get into animation 1 due to schedule mix ups D;< But I do have drawing for animation from 4-7pm on mon and weds!

Demonic OTP

15,875 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep

I wasn't able to get into animation 1 due to schedule mix ups D;< But I do have drawing for animation from 4-7pm on mon and weds!

Thats still chill! I'm Zakayla by the way.

Neophyte Punching Bag

8,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep
The Amazing tikal123
Drowzy Sheep

Thats still chill! I'm Zakayla by the way.
Nice to meet you! My names Aysha.

Trafficker

Oh dear god, I'm in that Drawing for Animation class that you're in (lol).

I'm not in the animation department, I'm actually in Illustration at CCA, but I can attest to the dropout rate. I'm in the second half of my junior year and we haven't lost half of our class or anything (our class is an anomaly that only started with 18 people, which means we're a particularly small graduating class and we don't get a choice over who our Illustration teachers are for any semester; we're down to 13 now.) but as we move towards thesis we're losing people. We started this term with three people who didn't come back or took breaks (but they just haven't actually come back).

Some left because of the rigor, and some left because it wasn't giving them what they needed.

I guess I can't speak for the animation department but the Illustration department's workload was like going through hell. Last semester I was getting 8 hours of sleep A WEEK. I don't think it gets lighter, I think you just learn how to manage your time and figure out your limits.

Neophyte Punching Bag

8,850 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Pink
Oh dear god, I'm in that Drawing for Animation class that you're in (lol).

I'm not in the animation department, I'm actually in Illustration at CCA, but I can attest to the dropout rate. I'm in the second half of my junior year and we haven't lost half of our class or anything (our class is an anomaly that only started with 18 people, which means we're a particularly small graduating class and we don't get a choice over who our Illustration teachers are for any semester; we're down to 13 now.) but as we move towards thesis we're losing people. We started this term with three people who didn't come back or took breaks (but they just haven't actually come back).

Some left because of the rigor, and some left because it wasn't giving them what they needed.

I guess I can't speak for the animation department but the Illustration department's workload was like going through hell. Last semester I was getting 8 hours of sleep A WEEK. I don't think it gets lighter, I think you just learn how to manage your time and figure out your limits.
Oh geeze! Well I hope all goes well! Good luck in continuing your journey in illustration! And thanks for the last bit, it's only been 2 weeks (I think?) and I'm already dying from classes lol. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff