if anyone knew about any other art websites? Seems to be a shortage in places
to network and share drawings/photographs etc. Flickr, Tumblr,
Pinterest, anything else..?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Beyond simply using DeviantArt, dA also has an actual portfolio service for paid members. You can pick between several different .coms and call it by your name or a studio name, anything you want. It's a very bare bones portfolio, but it's not connected to your dA and it doesn't have ads, pagehits, comments, etc. It's not really for networking, but it's great for showing to potential clients or colleagues you'd rather not show your dA or tumblr to. If you subscribe, you're already paying for it, so you might as well use it.

Come to think of it, I haven't been a non-paid user for a while, so it could be free for everyone now. If it is, someone correct me!
Lychee Fruit
Beyond simply using DeviantArt, dA also has an actual portfolio service for paid members. You can pick between several different .coms and call it by your name or a studio name, anything you want. It's a very bare bones portfolio, but it's not connected to your dA and it doesn't have ads, pagehits, comments, etc. It's not really for networking, but it's great for showing to potential clients or colleagues you'd rather not show your dA or tumblr to. If you subscribe, you're already paying for it, so you might as well use it.

Come to think of it, I haven't been a non-paid user for a while, so it could be free for everyone now. If it is, someone correct me!

It says there is a free and a premium.

Backwoods Unicorn

if you are in to animal art, http://www.furaffinity.net/ is a good place.

But for all art DeviantART is great

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
MooMooJuice

That's good to know. What's the difference between them?
Lychee Fruit
MooMooJuice

That's good to know. What's the difference between them?

I'm assuming the stuff in the free membership is also included in the premium.

Free:
Hosting for up to 100 images
No domain name
No ads

Premium:
Hosting for unlimited images
Your own domain name + alternate domains
No DA branding in your portfolio
Optional password for access to portfolio.
I follow a lot of artists on Tumblr. Many artists use Tumblr for their sketches, but don't use their known name for their Tumblr. There are a couple I follow that I know are other artists using pseudonym just because they don't want their fans seeing their "s**t" work studies.

And no, it's not actually s**t work - they're sketches and usually just artists trying something new and posting the results for constructive criticism.

Tasty Waffles

I would recommend Tumblr over DeviantArt. They are some layouts that could really work. I've seen a lot of people with both a casual sketch blog and an official portfolio.
Having your own domain name looks really good and is easier to remember. You usually have to pay, but there are free sites. codotvu comes to mind, but I don't know how reputable it is.
Sorry, I'm not very good at this. ^-^'
If you're into digital arts you may want to have a look at CG Hub too.

My professional portfolio is hosted on my own server in my living room, with it's own domain name. That require some extra computer knowledge. I happen to share my life with a very enthusiastic computer technician that did all the dirty work for me. smile

7,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
The way I see it, every site has it's own benefits. Deviant Art is easy for sorting your art into groups and having high definition images, Tumblr is easy for other people to share and view your art (though not always on the HD side of things).

But there's a few others that are slightly more professional. Concept Art.org is a forum that has several sketchpad/portfolio type forums within it, though the threads that dominate the front page of every board are typically some SKILLED a** artists. Similarly, there's Behance, which is fantastic for sharing your works and sorting it into easy to manage groups, but it's also much more professionally oriented and generally your work never gets seen unless you get really popular/link other sites to your Behance page.

The latter of the two sites are great for discovering other artists, though! So much to be learned from a quick browse through of their featured pages.
http://www.behance.net
Sounds like a beauty website but it's suppose to be good. Haven't tried it out myself yet though

OG Friend

i personally just use tumblr
butttt i also use weasyl because you can ask for critiques and stuff? idk i'm lame

Leaf

Cargocollective is free and clean and easy to set up

Anxious Repairman

11,825 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
If you're making a portfolio you'll be showing off for jobs, a private website is good. I use 1&1, super cheap with built in tools. There are also wixs and webbly for free website hosting. All allow you to have a bunch of images and pretty decent free reign on how you want it to look like.

Big Wolf

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces