<3 </3

Ever had that problem?

Yeah... 0.2 20.0% [ 1 ]
Kind of. 0.2 20.0% [ 1 ]
Nope. :] 0.4 40.0% [ 2 ]
I have no idea what you're talking about...... 0.2 20.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 5 ]

Rainbow Loiterer

I've got an annoying problem. I've got two portfolios I need to print in about two months, but I have no idea where to go. I need them to be affordable, but I want them to be what I envisioned them as. I also don't want the printer's logo on the back, be it that it cost extra or I would need to have a professional membership.

Portfolio 1
Ideally, I want to have the photos 8x12in on the inside pages or at least the same aspect ratio. I don't want the images to get too small though. I also want the book to be portrait oriented, since all the images will be portraits and not landscapes.

Portfolio 2
Isn't as much of a problem. I'll be going with either a 10x10 square or a 12x12 square because there will be both portrait and landscape oriented images in it.

If you could just help me out by listing any printing companies you know that may fit what I'm looking for that would be awesome. I'll be tipping helpful posts!

Other Things
I'm in Canada, so a Canadian printer would be preferable because of shipping cost. However, I don't have a problem paying to ship something from the U.S.
I've been at this for a few hours on and off. I'll put notes up next to names of printers as I find my issues with them.
I'm looking for about 20 pages per book. I'm confident I can create my books around that page count.
Ideal amount of money spent : less than $50 per book before shipping and such. Unrealistic? Quite possibly.
I'd love to have the option to choose between hardcover and softcover.
I don't do crappy customer service. If you want to be short with me? You don't get my money. Major pet peeve of mine.
If any of my notes are wrong, correct me. I won't yell or bite or act like a spoiled brat, I promise.

Rainbow Loiterer

List of Printers

iPhoto -Can't figure out how to get to the premium membership to get their logo off the back of the book.

Blurb -Tiny size selection.

My Publisher -Landscape orientation only.

Lulu -Logo on the back of the book, but good price. Read some pretty bad reviews.

TPH -About $60 for a hardcover with 20 pages. Possibly my best solution so far, but I'm iffy about customer service.

Shutterfly -Landscape orientation only.

SmileBooks -Minimum 26 pages.

Picaboo

Photobook Canada -Pricey. 8x11 appears to only be in softcover?

MixBook -Very cheap. Quality seems good for the price. Need to check out some reviews.

Elephoto

PhotoInPress -Landscape orientation only.

Kodak -Landscape orientation only. Poo, I'd trust Kodak with my life.

EditionOne -Must have a minimum of five copies of the book ordered.

Viovio -Looks good! 8x12 option, although it's pricier than any other option.

WHCC -Ideally, more than I'd like to spend. Great quality though!

SnapFish -Landscaper orientation only.

Space Detective

19,940 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
How many pages are you looking for in each book and how much do you want to spend on each book?

Rainbow Loiterer

kwahoo
How many pages are you looking for in each book and how much do you want to spend on each book?
I'm thinking 20 pages should cover me in each book. We've got a 12-24 image mandate from the teacher, so I'm shooting for somewhere in the middle.

If I can get each book for $50 or less, I would be ecstatic. However I know this may be a bit unrealistic.

Thanks for the questions! Updating first post. :]

Rainbow Loiterer

Pushing this back up since I've updated the Printers list a bit. :] Looking for ideas still! My current best options, in my opinion, are SmileBooks and WHCC. :]

Dangerous Noob

Like, book book or just bound?

When I applied to an architecture program I just got my stuff printed and spiral bound at Staples razz
And got accepted.
My dad uses SnapFish but they don't seem to have the exact sizes you want.
I also can't find the shipping prices.
I'm not sure on their service because I haven't used them personally.
I'm also not sure if the photobooks have to have the weird borders around the pictures. I'd think it make sense not to but companies can be weird sometimes.

Basically all I've given you is a name, look at me being Miss.Helpful rolleyes

Rainbow Loiterer

Schwanengesang

When I applied to an architecture program I just got my stuff printed and spiral bound at Staples razz
And got accepted.
Book book. I'm actually printing my portfolios for a class, I'm in my last quarter at the school. Honestly, I could just print on the school's Epson printer and slide the prints into sleeves, but I'm looking for something classier.

Dangerous Noob

B a k a - c h a n
Schwanengesang

And got accepted.
Book book. I'm actually printing my portfolios for a class, I'm in my last quarter at the school. Honestly, I could just print on the school's Epson printer and slide the prints into sleeves, but I'm looking for something classier.

Actually... if you have the time for a bookbinding project that's be doubly classy.

Rainbow Loiterer

Aureilias
My dad uses SnapFish but they don't seem to have the exact sizes you want.
I also can't find the shipping prices.
I'm not sure on their service because I haven't used them personally.
I'm also not sure if the photobooks have to have the weird borders around the pictures. I'd think it make sense not to but companies can be weird sometimes.

Basically all I've given you is a name, look at me being Miss.Helpful rolleyes
Unfortunately I really need a portrait-oriented book, and they only have landscape and square sizes. Although I can cross another name off the list! Narrowing the list is always helpful! Even if it's potentially a really, really long list.

Rainbow Loiterer

Schwanengesang

Actually... if you have the time for a bookbinding project that's be doubly classy.
I've never done bookbinding before so I have no idea how long it would take me. I mentioned the idea to a TA, and his answer essentially was, "If you're prepared for a lot of mess and to mess up a lot. And you've got time." It's a project I'd really like to try at some point, but I don't think I have the time this run around.

Dangerous Noob

B a k a - c h a n
Schwanengesang

I've never done bookbinding before so I have no idea how long it would take me. I mentioned the idea to a TA, and his answer essentially was, "If you're prepared for a lot of mess and to mess up a lot. And you've got time." It's a project I'd really like to try at some point, but I don't think I have the time this run around.

I did a couple of things (nothing too involved) and it wasn't much of a mess. The trick is to have your desktop publishing all planned out at first. The biding part should be as simple as it can be (and it's not that hard). All the fancy can then go on the cover.

But yeah, if you don't have the time, don't do it razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces