Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soreiyu
Doing speed paints seems to help a little bit with this since if something looks shitty people won't be quite as hard on it.

I'm very much a perfectionist though... x__X It usually prevents me from even working at all.

I get that, I need to practice speed painting, to teach me to stop.
Kaiser-chan
When I'm a perfectionist it always stems from a fear of failure, so I try to let it go as it's not really a positive trait when that's the root cause. I'm not so much concerned about making it right as I am afraid that any mistake will make it wrong, and that mostly keeps me from trying. Keeps me from doing.

I combat it with laziness mostly, though, so I don't know that there's much to say that's positive about that either. For instance, I don't really run into perfectionism much anymore with stuff that I've spent 30-40 hours on. I really used to, but nowadays I don't have enough hours in the day to spend that much time on stuff I can't get right no matter how hard I try and I just give up.

Can relate, I'll walk away from a piece and not work on it when I get frustrated with it.
The Punchline is Lesbian
I used to spend hours upon hours of details making sure it ended up as perfect as I could get it.

Then I was introduced to the concept of 'kill your darlings' and 'to not polish a turd'

sounds like a good philosophy xd

Beloved Sweetheart

12,625 Points
  • Married 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Battle: KO 200
Lychee Fruit
Flaws are what make art the work of a human.

Moonwalker

i have problems with time management because i end up doing the same line over and over again because i want it to curve sliiiightly to the left more.
MooMooJuice
I've ended up making things perfect and detailed part of my style, since I lack the creativity that makes other artists art appealing.
Thats terrible to say. You probably just havent exercised your ability. Reference lots of art you are drawn to. It will happen I promise.

I am a perfectionist!! I will start over and over until I am happy. Even then months from that art
I cant look at that old piece because it picks my A$$. I can still see where I went wrong. People have compared my art to a photo and still I cant see it. It looks off. lol. Dont beat yourself up. I never look at it again once I call a piece complete..lol

Sugaruni's Fangirl

Fluffy Adventurer

Mm.. definitely a perfectionist.
I usually scrap most of my works away when I'm done because it 'doesn't look good enough for my eyes'.

Sparkly Noob

If it's a commission then it definitely should at least satisfy my standards. X)

Personal art not so much. Just a lot of experimenting going on. smile
Soreiyu
Doing speed paints seems to help a little bit with this since if something looks shitty people won't be quite as hard on it.

I'm very much a perfectionist though... x__X It usually prevents me from even working at all.

Same here.

And when I'm working on some piece, it always takes ages for me to finish. I tend to learn pretty fast and so when working on a painting you (most likely just me) can see the improvement. So I have to redo the other parts of the drawing because they are really bad compared to the new parts.

horrible explaination, hope I make sense. Think my brain just farted. burning_eyes

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
VaneIope

Same here.

And when I'm working on some piece, it always takes ages for me to finish. I tend to learn pretty fast and so when working on a painting you (most likely just me) can see the improvement. So I have to redo the other parts of the drawing because they are really bad compared to the new parts.

horrible explaination, hope I make sense. Think my brain just farted. burning_eyes

Thats pretty normal. It's often a good tactic for catching mistakes since if you leave a drawing alone for a day or two+ you can sometimes see things that you would not notice before. I also think flipping the image helps quite a bit as well.
Something I'm starting to make a habit of is flipping the image in photoshop, it does make a difference.
I used to be somewhat like that. nothing was ever ever ever finished and for a while i deluded myself into thinking i preferred it that way. but now since i have to work everyday, i'll whip stuff out very quickly and I'll look past mistakes easily just to get it out there. and it's been working out much better for me.
sometimes you have to just let things go. theres a good chance the piece will actually look worse if its over worked.

Blessed Hunter

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm a perfectionist but lately it's helpful because I can self-correct instead begging for crit on the internet after every step. It's more efficient for me to do most of my thinking at the beginning instead of letting errors go on till the end.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff