Welcome to Gaia! ::

Newbie Cat

People: "omg, wish i was artistically talented.... :,(" or "all i can draw is stick figures..."
I used to draw stick figures too at one point and
i used to draw like this 3 years ago
User Image
User Image

currently i draw like this:
User Image
User Image

It's not called talent. It's called drawing till your fingers bleed, and not giving up. bitches need to stop bitchin.

NoTimeToExplain's Husband

Demonic Cub

14,025 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Hesitant Participant 100
  • Flatterer 200
Dam, your drawings are awesome~
Fightinguh~
People will always complain about not having the 'talent'. Same with any other hobby or job out there. It is human nature and not as bad as berating an artist. Hell, artists always say they suck at drawing even when their drawings are Amazing. IMO, nothing wrong with people saying that.

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

I respectfully disagree. sweatdrop Being able to draw is a talent, just like being a good singer, writer, or any other type of artist. Practice doesn't always mean a person will get better. Here I am, going on 25 years old and I haven't gotten any better at drawing than when I was in my teens (not being humble, I'm just not very good at drawing much of anything). Some people are able to increase their talents from practice, other people just have "the gift", and others work their a** off and get nowhere.

Just don't think of those "I wish I was artistically talented" and "all I can draw is stick figures" comments as compliments, not complaints. Like BreathLessX said, it is better to hear "I wish I had your talent" than having rude feedback.

Newbie Cat

Crystal Sparda
I respectfully disagree. sweatdrop Being able to draw is a talent, just like being a good singer, writer, or any other type of artist. Practice doesn't always mean a person will get better. Here I am, going on 25 years old and I haven't gotten any better at drawing than when I was in my teens (not being humble, I'm just not very good at drawing much of anything). Some people are able to increase their talents from practice, other people just have "the gift", and others work their a** off and get nowhere.

Just don't think of those "I wish I was artistically talented" and "all I can draw is stick figures" comments as compliments, not complaints. Like BreathLessX said, it is better to hear "I wish I had your talent" than having rude feedback.

Usually if a person isn't improving they give up when they see better art or they just aren't drawing anything new and out of their comfort zone. I don't know about the other arts such as singing, writing, etc.
There is such a thing as talent but hard work will trump talent any day of the week. You should feel damn proud of how much your skill has improved.
I do have to say I agree. I really think anyone can draw it just takes time and practice. You also can find your own style in the process. I used to draw really bad when I was younger and I have just practiced over time and I have gotten better. Im currently working on learning graphic art, such as photoshop. I have a bamboo tablet I just need to work with it more... :/ BTW I love your drawings! biggrin I want to start learning on how to draw a headdress like yours in the photo. dramallama 4laugh rofl

Gallant Knight

5,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I agree with you, people should just try and not give up. Anyone can draw, just have to practise.
Crystal Sparda

There can be a difference, though. It does come more naturally to some than others, but I've heard of people who had no talent for it to begin with, but they decided where they wanted to be and busted a** every step of the way to get there anyway.

I can see if someone lacks interest in it or have some physical problem getting in the way, but hearing someone saying "Gee, I wish I were as good as you," and leaving it at that is irritating. It's not like "Gee, I wish I were an astronaut," if you actually want to draw, then do it and who cares how bad you are at it? That's not the point.

Koleda's Senpai

Fandom Trash

MirroredImage
There can be a difference, though. It does come more naturally to some than others, but I've heard of people who had no talent for it to begin with, but they decided where they wanted to be and busted a** every step of the way to get there anyway.

I can see if someone lacks interest in it or have some physical problem getting in the way, but hearing someone saying "Gee, I wish I were as good as you," and leaving it at that is irritating. It's not like "Gee, I wish I were an astronaut," if you actually want to draw, then do it and who cares how bad you are at it? That's not the point.

I just don't understand how that one appreciative comment can be found so irritating. confused How is "I wish I were as good as you" any different than any other hobby/talent wish?

If you were a great singer and someone said to you "You sing so well, I wish I could sing like you!", would a remark like "I worked damn hard to get where I am and to get my vocal chords to where they are now!" sound like an appropriate response? Personally, I'd find it more rude if someone gave that kind of attitude to me for an innocent and lighthearted comment. The way I see it, if someone says "I wish I could do what you do so well", it means that they admire that person and appreciate the beauty of what they do. I highly doubt they're thinking that the person doesn't deserve the talent that they've got and didn't work hard to get where they are.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Crystal Sparda

Maybe you just need to find a direction. You need to know where to go before you get there. What did you want to get better at doing?

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
BakedBun
People: "omg, wish i was artistically talented.... :,(" or "all i can draw is stick figures..."
It's not called talent. It's called drawing till your fingers bleed, and not giving up. bitches need to stop bitchin.

Seriously? I mean... SERIOUSLY?!!! In what world is this considered bitching?!!!

By the way, you should probably read this article. Which would explain why some people do not improve even by doing art for years, while others improve so fast it´s mind-boggling.

I congratulate you that you improved over the years. But maybe you should not judge others by your standards. Some people are talented in certain fields or have lots of practice in certain fields. A person who cannot draw might be proficient in a different field and does not have the time to invest into drawing. So what? They can still wish for it!

I, for example, wish I was able to play a musical instrument. In fact, ANY musical instrument. But I probably never will. I don´t even own any instrument. As a kid I passed the chance to learn it but there were other things I learned. Now I neither have the time, nor would my neighbours calmly stand by while I create horrible noises which makes them wish to rip their ears out and stuff it into the holes where their ears used to be. But I can still wish.

Shadowy Shapeshifter

7,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Team Jacob 100
BakedBun

I find this inspiring in a way, seeing as how your art has improved and such over the years gives me hope that I, too, can improve my art as well. It's cool to see that an artist who is good also once started somewhere like I did.
Because of this post, I'm going to continue pushing myself to get better :3
Everyone always has room for improvement, no matter what.
We all must always strive to better ourselves each day.~

Dapper Spotter

Oftentimes people think that there is a secret tip or step that makes one magically draw,

Rich Ladykiller

/humblebrag thread

JD-Ayane
By the way, you should probably read this article. Which would explain why some people do not improve even by doing art for years, while others improve so fast it´s mind-boggling.

No, quite the opposite. The study cannot conclude whether these structural differences in the brain come from innate talent (i.e., these highly-developed structures were present at birth) or from learning (i.e., these brains developed the extra neural matter by exercising those areas over time).

In fact, the lead author says:

Rebecca Chamberlain
"It falls into line with evidence that focus of expertise really does change the brain. The brain is incredibly flexible in response to training..."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff