Welcome to Gaia! ::

Phantom

7,665 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • First Fall 15
  • Somebody Likes You 100
During my recent study spurt I've run into a problem while drawing. I have been expanding my borders as an artist and progressed a great deal - but there is one area that is bothering me more than most: my inability to produce non-beautiful, masculine men!

This is proving to be quite a difficult dilemma. Has anyone run into a problem like this before? If so, what did you do to get over it? In addition to advice, I'm looking for visual references as well (for study purposes only, of course).

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice and references for manly men to improve my drawing diversity.
Start looking for manly men tv shows or something. Like pro wrestling. That's a good one because they like to zoom in on them and listen to them talk for relatively long periods of time, so you can study their bodies. It's always interesting to watch people in motion so you can get a feeling for how the body interrelates.

Interesting Dabbler

4,400 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The tv show suggestion was a great one. I'd also recommend Sarah Simblet's book Anatomy for the Artist. It's tons of photos of artistic n***s, and is like having a life drawing class on your bookshelf. Both the men and women in the book are very fit, and could be helpful for what you're wanting to do.

Tiny Magician

29,525 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Timid 100
I'll often look up male models. The modeling industry has a surprising range of chiseled and peculiar men folk.

Hygienic Garbage

I feel obligated to post this webcomic.

Manly Men Doing Manly Things

But besides that, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding : The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised [Paperback] by Arnold Schwarzenegger has a lot of great visual references for extremely muscly men. It is a book about bodybuilding, but it has way more pictures than you might get in an art-geared book, and a little cheaper.

This. is. uh-mazing.

Honeybeast's Pardner

Shy Phantom

Man Stock and Vishstudio on DeviantArt have great references for that stuff.
Both may contain nudity

Leaf

Thanks Calvin Klein. Thanks.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
i google pictures of muscly men when i need a reference for buff male anatomy. and i always use the many men doing manly things comic to get me in the mood to draw men.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff