Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Gaian

Hey~

So, I am continuously having issues with Sai, and I'm starting to feel like I'm either the only one struggling with this, or that it's just something I'm doing wrong. Which it's probably both, tbh. But, whether that's the case or not, I'd love some help.

User Image

So, in that picture above, I've got the three line types that I assume are best to use in sai for sketching and doing clean line work when drawing characters and ref sheets and junk. Thing is, I can never get a blunt edge - the lines either taper off to a really sharp, sort of opaque line, or the thicker lines kind of ball up at the end, while still containing a sharp point. So, I'm kind of thinking this might be because I have the stabalizer up so high? But I think I kind of need it that high, because my lines are REALLY shaky when I use my tablet. And you can see there are really some issues even with writing on my tablet. Like, my handwriting is bad, but it just looks like straight up garbage in that image.

On a side note: I tend to press really hard when I'm using my tablet, for many reasons, and I can assume it's not good for the tablet, and it's clearly not good for my hand... But that's beside the point. My line thickness is all over the place. Does anyone have any tips on keeping line thickness consistent? I feel as though these two questions go hand in hand, because when I end up drawing, lines that connect in some areas start very thin with sharp edges, and get way thick the longer I draw, and it looks really... Cheap and unprofessional.

Please help! I am so desperate to get my line work to look nice!
With the small picture I'm having a hard time to really figure it out. If you could, a bigger image of just a stroke with the pen?
A high stabilizer tends for strokes to get carried out farther then expected (besides a high stabilizer isn't good in the first place). Try lowering the stabilizer and see if it's still doing that.
You might want to mess with the minimum size, and under advanced settings on a brush, the Hard <> Soft slider. It being more soft will allow you to put down less pressure to get the largest size/highest opacity (if you have these options on). You can also mess with the pressure curve in your tablet settings.
Besides this is practice. Just try drawing lines to help in line shakiness, straight, circles, s's, etc. For line thickness you'll have to draw less heavy, you can also draw more lines in a spot to thicken it up, and erase in other spots to thin it out.

Timid Ladykiller

You need to change your Min Size to something much larger. It will help you stop pressing down so hard on your tablet and will make it so the line doesn't taper off the way it is.
You should also go into your tablet settings and tweak the pen pressure settings so that less pressure is required to get thicker lines.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff