Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Elder

I just finished reformatting my professional portfolio! Please check it out! Also feel free to post yours for comment, critique, or discussion!

The focus of this portfolio is character and concept design. My next goal is to create a sister portfolio for concept and fashion - which I have a lot of work pertaining too, but doesn't quite seem appropriate for this portfolio. To fellow professionals: do you have different portfolios for different applications or do you send the same portfolio for every application? Do you have different "preset" portfolios (like I'm planning on having), or do you custom-tailor your portfolio to every position yo apply for? How successful have you been with your methods?

I'd love feedback particularly on the readability. Is there too much information? Too little? Does the information flow logically, or does it feel disorganized? I'm more accustomed to designing layouts for presentation boards and pages, not web-sites, and the restrictions of Behance also create complications.

One thing I always have trouble with is the idea that portfolios are not meant to display everything. You are only supposed to display your best work (anywhere from 5~10 pieces), but it's always hard for me to determine what is my "best" work. Looking at my blog, do you think there's anything I didn't include that absolutely should be in the portfolio? It doesn't have to be full projects, but even single illustrations are acceptable additions. I was considering including an "Other Sketches and Paintings" section of my portfolio anyways, I just don't have a lot to populate it with yet...

Another thing I find myself running up against is "How do you show process in a portfolio?" On my blog, I feel comfortable posting entire projects, but I know with a portfolio clients oftentimes want to be able to see everything in the span of a few seconds, which I feel underhands my strong point - which is process, thinking, and creativity. Portfolios lend themselves more to showing a smattering of random illustrations as opposed to showing the development of complete projects. Do you struggle with this too? Have you found a method to overcome it?

Finally, what websites do you use to display your art? Are you satisfied with what you use? Is there anything you'd change if you could? At the moment, my complaint with Behance is a.) the fact you cannot link from a hyperlink in the project to an "anchor" somewhere else in the same project (to my knowledge) and b.) each user can only have one portfolio to their account.

Obsessive milonguera

It might be just me and the way I percieve behance, but I think you are a bit too strict in choosing only four projects and all of them character design. You say on your profile that you focus on industrial design and illustration too - why not include some projects really focusing on that too?

Distinct Elder

A.D.1492
It might be just me and the way I percieve behance, but I think you are a bit too strict in choosing only four projects and all of them character design. You say on your profile that you focus on industrial design and illustration too - why not include some projects really focusing on that too?

There's a lot of environment work in there, too. I put the characters as the headers of the project because people tend to be more drawn in by faces/humans/characters, but the projects themselves have a little bit of other things. Entertainment design (i.e. concept art) is industrial design, so technically character/environment design is a form of industrial design. Illustration just means "rendering of concepts," which I have plenty of, also. I guess what were you thinkign of instead? The vehicle/prop design classes I have taken were early in my education and just not high enough quality to include in my portfolio, which is supposed to be "the best of the best." Also, admittedly my forte is character design, but I'm not sure Behance has "Character Designer" as a job... also "Character Designer" is a subset of "Entertainment Designer," which is a subset of "Industrial Designer." I see it as a way of not limiting/pigeonholing myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff