Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Giver

I once was an avid doodler. I would draw a lot as a child (10-13), I would redraw cartoon shows I enjoyed and other stray thoughts. I have since then abandoned my dream of drawing and continued onto other forms of visual arts. Now, I am planning on doing Graphic Communications for a career when I'm older and it would greatly benefit my skills as a designer if I could regain my skill in Traditional Art. In short, does anyone have any tips or advice on regaining my skill or learning how to draw again? If so please post them here. Please and thank you.

Invisible Noob

i dunno what you mean by "traditional art" but my advice is to start doodling again and also life drawing.
What type of designer are you? Graphic designer? Fashion? Interior design? Figure drawing class will help you draw people better, but I don't see it helping you become a better designer. In the design field (other than character design), the ability to accurately draw the human form isn't really needed. It won't even get you hired over other folks. Most firms use stock photography or simple forms to represent people. That said, it doesn't hurt to learn how to draw better. I suggest you look up classes at a local art school or community college. Many art supply stores usually have bulletin boards where classes are posted. If you don't already, keep a sketchbook and draw all the time. Draw anything in it, either from life, or your imagination. All that matters is that you draw all the time.

Liberal Giver

TuckyX
What type of designer are you? Graphic designer? Fashion? Interior design? Figure drawing class will help you draw people better, but I don't see it helping you become a better designer. In the design field (other than character design), the ability to accurately draw the human form isn't really needed. It won't even get you hired over other folks. Most firms use stock photography or simple forms to represent people. That said, it doesn't hurt to learn how to draw better. I suggest you look up classes at a local art school or community college. Many art supply stores usually have bulletin boards where classes are posted. If you don't already, keep a sketchbook and draw all the time. Draw anything in it, either from life, or your imagination. All that matters is that you draw all the time.

I'm planning on doing Graphic Designing. I just want to be able to draw my comics as well along with work. It will benefit in just drawing period, not a specific area of expertise.
DRAW, DRAW, DRAW...draw everything, anything, all the time. Another piece of advice I would give you is to learn to draw as many forms as you can; realism, digital, anime, Why? Because out there in the art world quantity>quality (sometimes), companies are looking for variety in an artist so learning to draw traditional art will only do so much. In the technology world we live in today digital art is almost a requirement. So just keep on drawing man!

Liberal Giver

Redux
DRAW, DRAW, DRAW...draw everything, anything, all the time. Another piece of advice I would give you is to learn to draw as many forms as you can; realism, digital, anime, Why? Because out there in the art world quantity>quality (sometimes), companies are looking for variety in an artist so learning to draw traditional art will only do so much. In the technology world we live in today digital art is almost a requirement. So just keep on drawing man!

Yeah, I think that will be my best bet. I'm going to probably get a notebook for just sketches and stuff and just draw in my free time.

O.G. Loiterer

10,375 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Collectively Carson

Yea that's a great idea maybe try getting a larger one for bigger sketches and a smaller more compact one for on the go. That's what I do!

Liberal Giver

Redux
TEXT

Great idea, thanks.

Conservative Explorer

I'm not very well versed in graphic design. A general recommendation is to focus on perspective, anatomy, landscapes, etc.

The usual four guides I recommend are:
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8800497/Andrew-Loomis-Figure-Drawing-for-All-Its-Worth
Pencil Drawing Techniques by David Lewis: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22602723/David-Lewis-Pencil-Drawing-Techniques
Diane Wright's Scenery Tutorials: http://www.dianewrightfineart.com/tutorials.htm
PSG Art Tutorial: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces