Welcome to Gaia! ::

It feels like two years ago, I couldn't stop writing and drawing. I had so many ideas and I felt good about what I did. I was happy and I had people to listen to me.

Now, I got some of my work back with just a comment of "It's okay.". And I'm crushed. It feels like I just go around repeating my work, that I've gone dry, that I've got nothing left to offer. This is something I've always wanted to do and now, I come to find out I'm just mediocre at it. People tell me to stop taking this so seriously, but this is something I felt like I was meant to do with myself.

So, what do you do when you begin to feel your creative self slip away?

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
Ignore the negative waves and make things you feel passionate about. Even if you don't think they're good. It extra doesn't matter what other people think, because you'll get better at what you like, and eventually your audience will find you.
Menacentiment
Ignore the negative waves and make things you feel passionate about. Even if you don't think they're good. It extra doesn't matter what other people think, because you'll get better at what you like, and eventually your audience will find you.

Thanks. I guess I'll suck it up. I'm just disturbed at how good I used to feel doing what I did and now everything feels so bland. But I'm sure I'll get something back.

Mewling Genius

5,550 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
It might be time for fresh subject matter. I normally suggest to make something you never would have considered doing before, just to liven up the imagination.
Menacentiment
It might be time for fresh subject matter. I normally suggest to make something you never would have considered doing before, just to liven up the imagination.

That could work. I'll try switching to something else for awhile and see if that breaks me out of this.

Lonely Phantom

I go through time spans where I feel passion for doing the art I love. I even find myself disliking what I used to make. During those times I'd start reading new books or watch a new movie or show I haven't seen yet. Fresh media, ideas, concepts, characters, scenery-- all of these help me get back into drawing and painting. I try to have 4 pieces always being made. That way when I feel artsy, I just pick it up and start again.

Tycoon

I think it's just needing to learn something new. When I get like that it's because I'm tired of seeing my usual process of making art. Either in content, style, medium--whatever. Some studying of new subjects can help too, can gain some ground on referencing and widening your mental capabilities at the same time.

Distinct Elder

Make art, not excuses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas