Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Grabber

Nathaniel Mea
I've been here since 2003 and I haven't seen much of a cutthroat mentality on Gaia. Special Snowflakeitis on the other... or trolls, sure, but never an artist stepping on anyone else to get a higher "status" as an artist.

Would you give us an example of what you mean, because I seriously have a hard time figuring out where the issue lies.

I love how people seem to read cutthroat and then they don't read everything else. I already gave loads of examples, and a few others have also posted their personal experiences as well. Simply back read. xD I don't like repeating myself.

If my comment comes off as rude, sorry. That is not my intention--I was merely getting to the point xD

I've also been here since 03. =)

Vicious Grabber

Soreiyu

FFFF I just checked yer DA. Did you used to draw on oekakicentral? >_>

Desirable Lunatic

9,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Laenri
Nathaniel Mea
I've been here since 2003 and I haven't seen much of a cutthroat mentality on Gaia. Special Snowflakeitis on the other... or trolls, sure, but never an artist stepping on anyone else to get a higher "status" as an artist.

Would you give us an example of what you mean, because I seriously have a hard time figuring out where the issue lies.

I love how people seem to read cutthroat and then they don't read everything else. I already gave loads of examples, and a few others have also posted their personal experiences as well. Simply back read. xD I don't like repeating myself.

If my comment comes off as rude, sorry. That is not my intention--I was merely getting to the point xD

I did read the thread. Why the ******** would I comment unless I did? And I saw that you had been here as long as me and that's why I asked for you to give me examples because I still don't see it.

All I see is some vague definition of "they were mean" and never any details as to why or how that makes any sense with your original post.

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Laenri
Soreiyu

I still draw on there, although It's usually in the Training Grounds and gets overwritten rather quickly. ;_;

Vicious Grabber

Nathaniel Mea
Laenri
Nathaniel Mea

I did read the thread. Why the ******** would I comment unless I did? And I saw that you had been here as long as me and that's why I asked for you to give me examples because I still don't see it.

All I see is some vague definition of "they were mean" and never any details as to why or how that makes any sense with your original post.

Then you clearly didn't read all the posts >_>

Vicious Grabber

Soreiyu
Laenri
Soreiyu

I still draw on there, although It's usually in the Training Grounds and gets overwritten rather quickly. ;_;

I sooo followed your art years and years ago @_@ I remember all of your stuff there. I was really in awe of your use of colors.

I'm glad you're still around and into art <3

Stellar Star

24,975 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Laenri

What I think the problem is that one loud person overpowers many people with good intentions.Also many left AD because the sheer amount of spam circulating here (example, draw my art for 10k/draw a CD cover for my band for imaginary money while we earn real money off the album). Majority of them withdrew to non gaia chats to comment what is happening and observing discussion from their galleries. Ads situation is beyond repair, unless someone at least changes certain forums name which would reduce spam for at least the half and tis might become fertile discussion ground.
As for downvotes, people should really just not take them personally. My art shop has whole lotta of them and my bet is that the number consists from people who think I am ripping off people with prices or I gave them critique which rubbed them the wrong way. People still know that I am competent for pay I recieve in return, so downvotes don't bother me, nor should anybody else.

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
I've noticed a few trolls here and there and there is some negativity at times. It's more specific people though and I tend to just shrug it off.

However, the overall reaction I've gotten has been largely positive. Questions that I've had have been answered and I haven't felt like anyone is abusing me. If anything, I've heard lots of tips and comments While the advice I've gotten from Gaia is nothing to write home about (often the blind leading the blind), I've gotten lots of feedback on my work and I've learned more and more about what it means to be an artist and how to improve my skills. I owe a lot of my development as a self taught art student to the people I've met on Gaia.

One thing I have noticed is that fledgling artists tend to have trouble distinguishing ad hominen responses and actual valid critique. If someone is telling you there is something wrong with your piece, they are telling you there is something wrong with your piece. That's all. They are not saying anything about you as a person or that you should quit art. If they DO say that, then report them for harassment.

Long story short, if you post your stuff publicly, be prepared for a wide range of responses. Handle criticism with a grain of salt and don't let praise go to your head. But don't let someone talk crap about you as a person. If they don't like your art, so be it. But kindly remind them to stay on topic and to leave any personal vendetta at the door.

Vicious Grabber

The Zorya
Laenri

What I think the problem is that one loud person overpowers many people with good intentions.Also many left AD because the sheer amount of spam circulating here (example, draw my art for 10k/draw a CD cover for my band for imaginary money while we earn real money off the album). Majority of them withdrew to non gaia chats to comment what is happening and observing discussion from their galleries. Ads situation is beyond repair, unless someone at least changes certain forums name which would reduce spam for at least the half and tis might become fertile discussion ground.
As for downvotes, people should really just not take them personally. My art shop has whole lotta of them and my bet is that the number consists from people who think I am ripping off people with prices or I gave them critique which rubbed them the wrong way.

LOL The downvotes thing reminds me of ages ago when I started a shop on my other account. I had like 48 votes, and 35 of them were downvotes simply because I choose to raise my prices according to my workload. I had a lot of people coming in and basically saying "I wouldn't pay s**t for this art" or "This is way over priced. Go away"

xD They could have easily just said "by the way I think your prices are too high and it will make people lose interest" (which a few did and that was fine), but yea.

I think if I recall I may have even had an artist come in, see that I had indeed obtained a few commissions, and they commented about how they couldn't believe someone would pay it xD

(I had my shop open for 500k-1.5mil+ etc haha). I did it cuz I wasn't really interested in gaia art at the time, but since the prices were higher it'd give me incentive to draw.

I find the downvote thing silly, but I know those who are seriously affected by it D: It doesn't bother me much because I know artists that will openly admit to me that they downvoted someone else because they were competition and thats just silly, and then you have the typical trolls etc, but yea.

Vicious Grabber

Syrella
I've noticed a few trolls here and there and there is some negativity at times. It's more specific people though and I tend to just shrug it off.

However, the overall reaction I've gotten has been largely positive. Questions that I've had have been answered and I haven't felt like anyone is abusing me. If anything, I've heard lots of tips and comments While the advice I've gotten from Gaia is nothing to write home about (often the blind leading the blind), I've gotten lots of feedback on my work and I've learned more and more about what it means to be an artist and how to improve my skills. I owe a lot of my development as a self taught art student to the people I've met on Gaia.

One thing I have noticed is that fledgling artists tend to have trouble distinguishing ad hominen responses and actual valid critique. If someone is telling you there is something wrong with your piece, they are telling you there is something wrong with your piece. That's all. They are not saying anything about you as a person or that you should quit art. If they DO say that, then report them for harassment.

Long story short, if you post your stuff publicly, be prepared for a wide range of responses. Handle criticism with a grain of salt and don't let praise go to your head. But don't let someone talk crap about you as a person. If they don't like your art, so be it. But kindly remind them to stay on topic and to leave any personal vendetta at the door.

I definitely agree to this. I'm glad you've gotten a good reception here. I have also met many friends amongst the assholes, and it's nice. ^^

I just find it sort of funny though that i've had a few people start beef with me, and I will go view their gallery unbiased (even if I am really disliking them at the moment) and still favorite their work if I like it, and then they get all butthurt. Have you ever had that happen to you? LOL

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Laenri

I've not done any completed works for a while. Lately I've only been doing stuff for practice. I find it hard to keep myself going.

I think when the oekaki sites started to die out that a lot of my motivation did as well. I liked to post art and comment on art, but now a days it's so quiet and uninviting. Even DeviantART has become a rather cold place. I don't feel like I know anyone like I use to.

Vicious Grabber

Soreiyu
Laenri

I've not done any completed works for a while. Lately I've only been doing stuff for practice. I find it hard to keep myself going.

I think when the oekaki sites started to die out that a lot of my motivation did as well. I liked to post art and comment on art, but now a days it's so quiet and uninviting. Even DeviantART has become a rather cold place. I don't feel like I know anyone like I use to.

Man I totally agree. I remember when oekaki central was a huge bustling community full of amazing people that were always willing to help. now its gotten kinda baren and I feel like the mods (which seem to still be the ones from years ago? ) Have gotten reall stiff, be it because they now are grown up and have lives, or simply because they place is now just not booming. It's really sad. I used to come home from highschool and find like 5-15 new things every day in the 3* rooms xD

As to DA, I never did much with it other than use it as an art site to post my stuff up. I hear a lot of people complain about it tho, but since I was never interactive on it other than commenting and faving art I liked, I don't really understand what is happening to it xD

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
Laenri
Syrella

I definitely agree to this. I'm glad you've gotten a good reception here. I have also met many friends amongst the assholes, and it's nice. ^^

I just find it sort of funny though that i've had a few people start beef with me, and I will go view their gallery unbiased (even if I am really disliking them at the moment) and still favorite their work if I like it, and then they get all butthurt. Have you ever had that happen to you? LOL

I haven't had that particular scenario happen, no, but I have had cases where I tell someone I like their work (followed by a critique) and I've gotten some negative responses to that. While frustrating, it comes with the territory. Not every artist is gonna accept that their new creation isn't as amazing as they think it is. That's a lesson that is learned (hopefully) with time and maturity.

Vicious Grabber

Syrella
Laenri
Syrella

I haven't had that particular scenario happen, no, but I have had cases where I tell someone I like their work (followed by a critique) and I've gotten some negative responses to that. While frustrating, it comes with the territory. Not every artist is gonna accept that their new creation isn't as amazing as they think it is. That's a lesson that is learned (hopefully) with time and maturity.

ikr? I have met a lot of people that will even ASK you for a critique and then b***h at you and give excuses when you do xD Its kind of rediculous.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

I don't know, I have seen some mean spiritness but most people are willing to help. I've also seen people who see any constructive criticism as an attack. They do jump on art thieves and people posting in the wrong forum. If you are talking about the art arena I never post anything there so I can't comment on it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff