Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shanna66
but with the program you arent just sving an image to your computer, you are taking and using a product that took months, maybe even years to make and not paying the creator a cent. not to mention you use that program for things while with art you just look at it and maybe use it for inspiration at a later date

im not good with deabting so im not quite sure how to get my point across in a good way sweatdrop

I see your point, and I agree that artists and developers should get paid for their work.

Aged Codger

Considering it's only $70, you could probably save up for it, or ask for it as a birthday gift.
lol And people wonder why the government thought of SOPA. rolleyes

Anyway, There has been a lot of Freeware listed: GIMP, Paint.net, OpenCanvas 1.1. If you really want it I suggest you don't pirate it, as said it is cheap just have a little patience and save up.

BUT I've tried all the freeware listed and PS, Painter and SAI. SAI ended up not being my favorite (I was already much more comfortable with GIMP). Oh there is another program becoming quite popular calledArtRage. It's cheaper than SAI and has really good reviews. Sadly I've never used this one, as I switched to Corel Painter 11 (not cheap).

Okay the main point is there is tons of freeware and "cheap-ware" (as I call it) out there. Give other things a try before choosing. Just a suggestion but there are other great things to work with out there.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Mental Sedative
Shanna66
Mental Sedative
Soreiyu
Wouldn't it be possible for the creator to add more piracy protection if he continued to develop the program? I mean the last time I checked it was pretty hard to pirate a program like Open Canvas. Sure he might need some help, but I do believe that it would be better than stopping development completely.

Agreed. If he wants to be a competitor in the art software business, then he'll need to keep up. No one's going to stop piracy, no matter how much people say it's evil. Best worth with it, or try hard to work against it. To do otherwise is like trying to fit a peg in a square hole. People might as well accept the nature of this reality and try to work around it.

by that same logic i shouldnt be mad when people steal my art thanks to google images

Is being mad going to change the way the internet works? Nope. Yelling at people isn't going to make them stop. If they claim that it's theirs, then there are laws in affect that allow you to say f. otherwise. But if they're just snagging it and putting on their computer to look at it, what are you gonna do about it?
Sue, if they are making money off it, all he has to do is hire a lawyer and someone who is computer savvy and all the kiddies who snag the program for free and use it to make art they sell will be paying more than 70.00, In fact all he has to do is embed some kind of a watermark that's removed from the images made by people who paid for the program and all the thieves will end up paying for their actions. Being poor is no excuse for being a Thief. If you can't afford it, download one of the many free art programs out there, some of them are very good. I've been in the position of no being able to buy programs and that's what I did. I feel pretty strongly about this because I write and do art. It's the same thing really, all are intellectual properties.

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
zathraya

Anyway, There has been a lot of Freeware listed: GIMP, Paint.net, OpenCanvas 1.1. If you really want it I suggest you don't pirate it, as said it is cheap just have a little patience and save up.

BUT I've tried all the freeware listed and PS, Painter and SAI. SAI ended up not being my favorite (I was already much more comfortable with GIMP). Oh there is another program becoming quite popular calledArtRage. It's cheaper than SAI and has really good reviews. Sadly I've never used this one, as I switched to Corel Painter 11 (not cheap).

Okay the main point is there is tons of freeware and "cheap-ware" (as I call it) out there. Give other things a try before choosing. Just a suggestion but there are other great things to work with out there.

Yea I see a lot of people mentioning these other programs. I have never heard of Gimp before but as long as it's simple to use and has a lot of nice tools like SAI did then I'd probably pick that next.
Does it have a 30 day trial as well or is it infinite time?

Aged Codger

S.a.b.r.i.n.a
zathraya

Yea I see a lot of people mentioning these other programs. I have never heard of Gimp before but as long as it's simple to use and has a lot of nice tools like SAI did then I'd probably pick that next.

Gimp is open-source freeware, available for all OSes. It has all the same tools as photoshop, but some people don't like its interface.

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Annie Felis
S.a.b.r.i.n.a
zathraya

Gimp is open-source freeware, available for all OSes. It has all the same tools as photoshop, but some people don't like its interface.

Pardon me if I seem ignorant but, what do you mean by interface?

Aged Codger

S.a.b.r.i.n.a
Annie Felis
S.a.b.r.i.n.a
zathraya

Interface = the way you interact with the program. It means the layout of the tools, how the menus are set up, how the windows look...that kind of thing.

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Annie Felis
S.a.b.r.i.n.a
Annie Felis
S.a.b.r.i.n.a
zathraya

Interface = the way you interact with the program. It means the layout of the tools, how the menus are set up, how the windows look...that kind of thing.

Ah, so like the cosmetic and simplicity of the program. That's understandable. Well, I feel bad that my thread turned into a war zone, but thank you for helping me at least. I've seen you personally around Gaia Forums before and you always seemed so nice. Thank you.

Aged Codger

S.a.b.r.i.n.a

Ah, so like the cosmetic and simplicity of the program. That's understandable. Well, I feel bad that my thread turned into a war zone, but thank you for helping me at least. I've seen you personally around Gaia Forums before and you always seemed so nice. Thank you.

Thank you. It makes me feel better hearing you say that. After all I just had that dumb argument in another topic about me being cruel and crap.

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Annie Felis
S.a.b.r.i.n.a

Thank you. It makes me feel better hearing you say that. After all I just had that dumb argument in another topic about me being cruel and crap.

You're very welcome. smile People shouldn't judge anybody they don't truly know, and even if they do they shouldn't judge. For all they know you could be the sweetest person on the planet and you happened to have a bad day. We all have them. smile

4,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
S.a.b.r.i.n.a

Yeah, Gimp's interface is a bit of a pain, but it sort of molds in once you get used to it.
And don't worry, that certain person has turned every topic they've touched into a war zone, and yes, Annie Felis is a nice person. smile

Tiny Friend

Just wanted to throw in here:
I used the SAI 30 day trial having used Gimp all the time before that, and loved it, felt that I improved a lot with the help of SAI's friendly interface, and generally really enjoyed using the program.
My 30 day trial ran out, and I was at a loss, but I went around my school, and I advertised that I would draw for people for cheap. I made sketches and used Gimp to make them fairly nice, I asked my parents and family if they would commission me to help the cause, and they were happy to.
It took me 2 weeks, and I bought SAI.
And that was 4 years ago.
I still use SAI.

And it was totally worth it :3

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Hoshimi Ritsuon
Just wanted to throw in here:
I used the SAI 30 day trial having used Gimp all the time before that, and loved it, felt that I improved a lot with the help of SAI's friendly interface, and generally really enjoyed using the program.
My 30 day trial ran out, and I was at a loss, but I went around my school, and I advertised that I would draw for people for cheap. I made sketches and used Gimp to make them fairly nice, I asked my parents and family if they would commission me to help the cause, and they were happy to.
It took me 2 weeks, and I bought SAI.
And that was 4 years ago.
I still use SAI.

And it was totally worth it :3

Yea sadly I just saw that SAI isn't a physical copy, it's something you download.
I don't really like doing those kinds of things if there is no physical copy. :/
Especially if I get a new computer, I'm screwed because I paid for one license.

7,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Lastro
S.a.b.r.i.n.a

Yeah, Gimp's interface is a bit of a pain, but it sort of molds in once you get used to it.
And don't worry, that certain person has turned every topic they've touched into a war zone, and yes, Annie Felis is a nice person. smile

I actually tried Gimp last night and sadly it doesn't necessarily work with my tablet. I can draw and use the tools, sure, but there is absolutely no pressure recognition at all no matter what I do. I also didn't like the interface. I guess when a girl gets used to something it's hard to let it go!
I'd tried Photoshop at my uncle's house (he's a graphic designer), hated it. HAAAATED IT.
Tried Gimp, doesn't read my tablet's pressure and I don't like the interface.
Tried SAI, I understood everything perfectly and I love the interface. O:

But like I said in the reply above, I don't like that there is no physical copy for SAI. It's "pay and download," which I don't care for in case I ever switch computers. I'd only buy one license, and so if I switched computers I'd be screwed. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff