Welcome to Gaia! ::

Some of them are so good in arts almost immediately while some who attempts to draw AMAZINGLY just failed constantly.

The ones who are not talented worked SUPER hard in arts but still failed to win those who were born gifted or talented sweatdrop

so ... arts.. is it something you can work on to become "talented"?
Ummm yes.

It is something that you can work on to become talented. Art is a skill, if you practice you get better.

The thing is you have to practice the RIGHT way, not what you want to draw.

boybaka's Significant Otter

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
Good art mostly comes from practice and hard work, but I do believe that genetics play a small role in an artist's success. Someone from a family of great artists is more likely to have a natural eye for color and form than someone from a family of people who can't draw to save their lives. Successful art mostly comes from practice and experience, but being lucky with your gene pool will speed things along a bit.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
salvagedsword
Good art mostly comes from practice and hard work, but I do believe that genetics play a small role in an artist's success. Someone from a family of great artists is more likely to have a natural eye for color and form than someone from a family of people who can't draw to save their lives. Successful art mostly comes from practice and experience, but being lucky with your gene pool will speed things along a bit.

i like to think of it more that the person who came from an art family was taught from a young age what do do to be good at art.

when i was younger i was already pretty good at drawing animals, i was better than most of my teachers even. thats because i knew i had to look at real animals to know how to draw them because thats what my dad and grandfather did whenever they had something do draw

@op
its not somehting you are born with. if someone just starts out better then chances are its because they have a better understanding of what their subject matter looks like
Nope. If you aren't able to paint photorealistically at birth the only way to become good at art is to sell your soul to the devil or maybe get hit by lightening or something. Practice schmactice.

That is a joke. I'm a firm believer in practice, study and an encouraging environment beating out "natural talent". You can be born with/develop with certain ways of seeing or better hand-eye coordination or something like that, but I think it's largely linked to outside factors. For example, I do not come from a family of artists BUT I was given a lot of books to read and crayons to draw with as a child.

However, I haven't seen many studies on the subject, so I could be wrong. I just don't like the idea of being born special; I prefer to think that my countless hours of practice have meaning.

O.G. Partier

If super-geniuses were the only ones who ever did anything in their fields, then we'd have a lot more people unemployed and without hobbies. So yes, some people have stronger visual memories, process and retain visual information better, and can think in a more spacial fashion. But there's people who are gifted in everything you could imagine doing, and if you let their existence keep you from doing anything then you'll be a lump sitting on a bed sadly doing nothing for the rest of your life.

You can get better if you really want to, no matter who you are. You may have to put more work into it than someone who is a genius at art naturally, but whatever. If you actually love art and want to get better, then that shouldn't be a barrier.

And don't believe when you see people who are miles better than you that they're the "talented" ones naturally either. They very well might just be people who genuinely study art 10 hours a day because they're ******** insane in a good way. You can't see how long they've been doing it or how hard they've worked, so it's nothing but petty jealousy to assume they had any advantage you didn't.

Inquisitive Bibliophile

I am definitely a firm believer that practice and hard work win out over natural talent (if something like that even exists). A lot of people treat talent like it's some kind of mystical, magical thing you're born with and it means certain things come naturally to you without even hard work.

But in my experience, even those with some kind of 'natural' ability need to practice and work hard in order to improve.

I don't happen to believe I have much in the way of natural talent but I do think I'm a fair to decent artist because I've spent years practicing at it. And when I see things in my paintings that aren't good enough to suit me, I know it's from lack of effort and not lack of talent.
I've actually read that humans have the desire to create things through drawing, that we have evolved this way because it's a form of communicating. And just like every human has the ability to learn language, every human has the ability to learn how to draw.

Most adults draw at the 4th grade level because middle school is about the time where art is taken out of the lessons.

Yes you can get better with practice, yes some people are born with an advantage, but even so, no one is born with the ability to render a completely lifelike scene, no matter how gifted they are.

The biggest stumbling block for me was stubbornness. I didn't want to learn realism, I had no interest in drawing bottles, and eggs, and fabric. But then I realized very few people enjoy that, but it's just something that has to be done.

I think it's harder for young people to draw from life because they don't always have the ability to travel, and most kids are more interested in drawing animals than they are boring objects. but I say draw those boring objects and supplement your studies with photos of the things you are interested in. There are some great free stock photo websites for references.

Hallowed Elder

11,850 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
iv been drawing for close to 20 years, and everyone has always said im talented in it.

But I would not be as good as I am today if it wasn't for constantly trying to out do my last piece of art. It takes time and it always will. But it mostly takes focus and ambition to keep trying even if you fail several times.

Example :

User Image

Before was 2005,
After was 2012

theres a huge difference there, It just took alot of practice really.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
It's true that not everyone is born to be an artist, but that has nothing to do with "talent", it's just that most people aren't born with the kind of willpower and patience that it takes to become a good artist.

It's purely a personality thing.

Bucktoothed Vampire

8,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
QiiAngelicia
Some of them are so good in arts almost immediately while some who attempts to draw AMAZINGLY just failed constantly.

The ones who are not talented worked SUPER hard in arts but still failed to win those who were born gifted or talented sweatdrop

well no, it still depends. Some people do art to express themselves and to give a message. It doesn't really matter if your good at it, if you like something you got to practice, practice, practice. Afterall, art is not something you can do instantly. emotion_yatta
I believe that there are certain people who are born to have the natural skills of an artist, such as creative ideas, good in choosing colors, easily to be inspired, etc. But to be an artist still requires so much hard work and practices, you cannot just purely count on these talents to be good.

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
your not born with talent for art.

Everyone learns at a different pace. One may learn quickly then the other but it doesn't mean they were born with the gift. It's just how their brain worked. Art takes years/months to learn/devolope. Anyone can be a artist. It's just matter how far you will go and how passionate you are.

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
QiiAngelicia

http://turntechtsundere.tumblr.com/post/31929196974/upsetpancake-sisterbutters-deviant-art

I can not draw art or write it (left handed) but I still like to do it. : -) It's fun

Super Smoker

6,650 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Shanna66
salvagedsword

i like to think of it more that the person who came from an art family was taught from a young age what do do to be good at art.

when i was younger i was already pretty good at drawing animals, i was better than most of my teachers even. thats because i knew i had to look at real animals to know how to draw them because thats what my dad and grandfather did whenever they had something do draw

@op
its not somehting you are born with. if someone just starts out better then chances are its because they have a better understanding of what their subject matter looks like
That dog is adorable in your signature O ' :

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces