Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
u guys do know u get a proceed of the gold made on each sale right?
The Bride of Stein

I don't think you really understand what's being discussed.

Spec work for Gaia gold is worse than spec done in the real world, because at least real-world spec offers the remote chance of being paid in real money the artist could spend anywhere.

CrossStich is just the Black Lung Coal Mining Company paying its workers by crediting their account at the Company Store.
from my understanding, gaia has actual in house professionals who could take care of all the designs. They're just trying to get some community buz and present themselves as close to their user-base.

I don't mind, I know it's not a contest aimed at me.
Soreiyu

I live in PSL and I knew nothing about this. o_O; That guy sounds like such a greedy b*****d... =_="

Does that guy not know how interns work? da fux?

Leaf

I dare them to come up with uglier items. Please amateur artists of gaia, please think uglier because what you have come up with so far is way too kawaii and expected.

Nerd

It's not like anyone is submitting professional level designs, most users are doing for fun and you can see it in the winners as a good portion of them is very amateurish. They're not putting their working hours into it cause even my own design as almost zero market value.

I entered the last one cause I wanted my item to exist on Gaia and cause it would be fun to see people wearing it. Since people could get it for free I consider I did the design less for Gaia and more for the users.

The Bride of Stein

What? XD
Where's my gold then cause I just got 20k from the award. Maybe my item (the overalls) just wasn't very popular, lol.

Receiver

The Bride of Stein

for real??? how much? 4laugh

Lady Mas's King

Vicious Lover

This isn't like a professional contest that you're going to want to put on your art portfolio for college. It's a 'for fun' contest. Not a job application.

Basically, if an individual doesn't want Gaia copyrighting their art:

They shouldn't enter the contest.

Simple. They enter because most likely they just want their art made into a real item so people and buy it and flaunt it around. Or just get some sort of accomplishment. Nothing wrong with that.

Sorry if I come off a bit straight-foward and rude but come on. :U

6,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Pnyuu
The Bride of Stein

if i remember the winners guidelines its 10% of the sales of the item to be distributed at the first of every month.

6,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
actually I understand very well what is being discussed but I see so many comments saying that there is no sort of compensation for the time spent, and there is and not many people know it.

IronSpike
The Bride of Stein

I don't think you really understand what's being discussed.

Spec work for Gaia gold is worse than spec done in the real world, because at least real-world spec offers the remote chance of being paid in real money the artist could spend anywhere.

CrossStich is just the Black Lung Coal Mining Company paying its workers by crediting their account at the Company Store.
It's kinda funny but I would not do this for gaia but I do it all the time for another site, meez.

The prize is far better on meez because the only way to get coins on that site is by playing crappy flash games, surveys (shutter) or buying it. Unlike here where all you have to do it spam a lot on forums lol. I did the contest on meez when they first introduced the program and it was the same deal, a percentage of the sales. I made a million coins. I am STILL the richest non paying user on that site after the fact that I bought ever item I ever wanted. So, in that case (epic bragging rights, every item you ever wanted etc) then it's a good idea.

But I don't think that would happen on the gaia contest.

Also meez changed their rules. No more percentage. Just a choice of flat coin prize or a month of VIP. I sometimes go for the VIP lol Its also easy on that site since, unlike gaia, their active forum members are far lower.

So, in the end there are a lot of factors that go into weather one should do spec work.

And sometime a cuvreball is thrown in. Like when you see that you have a pretty good chance of winning and then pole cheating occurs.

Obsessive milonguera

I'm not bothered by it because I don't think Gaia does it because their paid artists have no ideas or time for thinking up new items. It was something long requested by the community and I'm glad to see the idea come to life.

The ways in which we waste our time on Gaia are different. The ways in which we donate to the site is different. I considered entering the last contest but then I got really busy and forgot about it.

It is not a contest for money, or a company logo. It is not promising anything special.

It is about a bit of fun and bragging rights for a day, that is all.

Receiver

The Bride of Stein
Pnyuu
The Bride of Stein

if i remember the winners guidelines its 10% of the sales of the item to be distributed at the first of every month.

Lol I hope you're right

Receiver

Im a creator on imvu. They charge you a gold fee to publish your creation but 100% of the sales go back to you IF you design your own mesh. If you paint over someone else's mesh they get a larger chunk of the income. Sometimes I wish gaia was more like that
Pnyuu
Im a creator on imvu. They charge you a gold fee to publish your creation but 100% of the sales go back to you IF you design your own mesh. If you paint over someone else's mesh they get a larger chunk of the income. Sometimes I wish gaia was more like that

I was never into imvu. But I used secondlife and from the looks of it the people who make clothes/meshes for that site make a killer! Even more now that SL made a new market place website for the uploads. Made me attempt blender for a moment (and then I failed LolOLO)

Sites user 100% user content IS cool! Just like the real world!

Sites like gaia though...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces