do pottery 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
take photos 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes:[ 11 ]

Shy Seeker

9,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
            I'm not quite sure where to put this.. but I hope I'm close to the correct forum.
            Anyways, I was wondering what you artists did to keep yourself trying new things, creating
            new styles, and (of course) promote growth and education in art? For me I rely 99% on my
            high school classes, but unfortunately I'm not in a class this semester and, to be honest, I
            don't know what to do. I want to start experimenting new things, but I always seem to discourage
            myself or end up doing the same generic drawing or style I always do. Do any of you have
            this problem? I feel like I've fallen lost and I was wondering if anyone had any videos, books,
            etc. that helped keep them exploring. I have a few books on things like drawing basic
            anatomy and perspective, but I guess what I really want is something to challenge me or give
            me a general project to try out. I'm looking more for an explanation on how to draw or do some
            type of art/media/project rather than a book/video showing someone drawing an object but not
            really explaining how they made those decisions (I hope that makes sense).

If anyone here can please share resources to help me, please do! And also please feel free
            to talk about what inspires you (even if it's just nature or spontaneous ideas). Thanks in
            advance for the help / taking time to read this !

Dangerous Lunatic

I read comics, listen to music, watch movies, look at lots of art, learn about cultures, and history.

And try to practice variety.

O.G. Partier

I look at what other artists are doing. I mostly try to find stuff that is within the range that I enjoy looking at, but stuff that might be as far within that range as you can get from what I do well or comfortably.

I roll around in how awesome their stuff is and then I kind of bang my ego up against "why can't you do that" until I try to do that.

When I inevitably do something that is totally not that, I try to find some lesson or study I can put myself through that might give me half of an idea of what they did and I didn't. At the very least, if nothing else works, I might do a master study.

I wouldn't even know where to start for pointing you though more specifically. I'll be honest I don't know what your current level or range or interests are.

There is this though like you can listen to this while doing other things and it is pretty good advice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff