Welcome to Gaia! ::

Along with some of the great tips above, you might also hit up your local library or bookstore and check out some of the how-to's there. Be careful, though. There's not a lot of love for how-to-draw books anymore, understandably, because they can't teach you to draw the same way they can teach you, say, math. If you look at any books, remember that they are just tips, tricks, and styles, most importantly. Be sure to keep an open mind for instruction!

Starting fresh, I would say not to worry too much about the details right away. Do quick "gesture" sketches that focus more on proportion and how objects relate to each other, rather than fine angles and little things like shadows and eyes or fingers. At the beginning especially, it'll look like a lot of scribbles and bubbles, but as you get comfortable doing it, your forms will improve, and you can zero in on more details and refine your picture.

Would love to see some of your practice work on here- the artists of Gaia love helping out and giving constructive feedback. (:
Thanks so much for the the tips! It's a pretty big thing to dive into so looking at it one step at a time makes the journey a lot less daunting.

For my practice work, I've started a little drawing tumblr just to keep track of my progress here: http://glitter-murder.tumblr.com/

Dangerous Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
If you want o get better fast then i suggest you do what i am trying to do ~shakes fist at the lack of ppl~

It is to start a comic book. You dont need to publish it, but it is a good idea!

WHY YOU ASK?!?!
it basically FORCES you to draw A LOT even a short story takes a few panels, and drawing a lot is the answer to get better! and what better way than to make a comic and having fun?!? Of course the way to get the MOST practice is animation, but it sounds like you are focusing on the beginning parts of art, so Comics would be best because you it will allow you to do realistic anatomy with much more ease. You can say animation can do the same, but more than often you will be drawing similar poses so often because well ANIMATION IS HARD -3-
lol...

now im ranting... i say Practice! and practice a lot! if you need a reason to practice a lot make a comic! You dont need to be good at drawing to try comic! we all start somewhere! as for me i have yet to start ><

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff