Welcome to Gaia! ::

You see, years ago I had come across an image on gaia that was very peculiar. Not in the sense of composition or rendering but how it was able to be posted into forums. Now with most images, they are square or rectangle or what have you, and generally white/transparent negative space is the reason. This specific piece was somehow made in such a way as to that negative space never existed. Text was able to nuzzle up to the side of it instead of being squished aside by that normal rectangular box all images have.

When I asked the person how she had done it, she said she turned the image into a gif? I never really understood what she meant. Recently, i've been looking to see if I could find that post of hers in posting history archives of people I knew that talked to her. But gaia apparently erased all posting history beyond 34 pages of history (from what I can tell). Perhaps someone here can help me figure out how she did it?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I haven't seen the original image, so my response will be based on a bit of assumption. Image files are square/rectangular/etc, but if the background is transparent, as in a gif or a png file, then they will appear to be round or otherwise strangely shaped (like our avatars, for example).

The rest of her trick was probably coding. You can program text to wrap around an image in different ways, and if there's negative space in the image, you can tell the text to ignore it and hug the image data. I don't know how that's done in forums, I admit. I've only used site-building and design software to do it.
Lychee Fruit
I haven't seen the original image, so my response will be based on a bit of assumption. Image files are square/rectangular/etc, but if the background is transparent, as in a gif or a png file, then they will appear to be round or otherwise strangely shaped (like our avatars, for example).

The rest of her trick was probably coding. You can program text to wrap around an image in different ways, and if there's negative space in the image, you can tell the text to ignore it and hug the image data. I don't know how that's done in forums, I admit. I've only used site-building and design software to do it.

I remember looking into her forums coding and seeing nothing amiss. There seemed to be no coding involved forum wise. My sister was even able to use it with the [img][/img]. But as I said, the image edges were shaped around the image itself, there was no box to speak of. It was just that image and a small space of transparency between the image itself and the "barrier threshold" of the image. I wish I had an example to show, but I'm not even sure pictures could illustrate what I saw correctly.

Perhaps there's more involved than I think. But I'd sure like to know what she used.
looking for an artiest plz pm
User Image

Did it look something like this?
MooMooJuice
User Image

Did it look something like this?

Not at all. The words did not need to be "coded" to fit beside the image and there was still a border indicating that there was negative space between the actual picture and the words. A white border like a sticker. Maybe about half a fingernail's width of space between.

Bloodthirsty Prophet

first off, the image was square no matter what it looked like, it was probably either a PNG or a GIF that gave the illusion of it not being square. so lets start with that assumption.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff