Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Millionaire

I've sold one piece of art to one of my old high school teachers.
Other than that, I am unsure of how to start getting into the world of selling commissioned art pieces.
I've been building up more pieces so I can show people consistency and such in my work, but I have no idea where to start.
Any tips? How to get started? (I mainly do watercolor, graphite and ink)
I thought about painting while I drink coffee at a cafe on the street and maybe on lookers might be interested. But yeah. Advice would be lovely emotion_c8

I also will be showing at the gallery in my University, so I hope that could also bring me future clientele.

Fashionable Egg

24,300 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Magical Girl 50
You could always make a website, or share the works of art on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc....? I don't know :/
If you're interested in producing portraits (just browsed your Tumblr) I think creating a personal Facebook page and website is your best option to obtain commissions.

For reference, my friend who is very into portraits secures most of her commissions from Facebook. You have to market yourself well; tell people why they need your work.

'Christmas is coming up! Why not give a unique hand-painted portrait to that special someone? Order now to secure your painting early.'

With this method you could also ask a random question in your status to have people comment and bump it up in the news feed.

'What do you like best about Christmas?'

Otherwise, maybe contact (or Facebook add) local businesses, agencies and musicians you are interested in. Generally someone will need an illustration at some point for a promotional item. (For example: a poster, an album booklet.)

Good luck. emotion_yatta

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
I'm going to bump this just because I was about to ask the same question c:

Trash Cat

28,090 Points
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • Waffles! 25
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
Definitely have a presence on multiple sites-- even if you're just posting the same thing on all of them, you're increasing the odds of someone seeing your stuff. Being active is also important for the same reason. I'm a hypocrite lol because I don't have the time to devote to that kind of advertising during the semesters. ~__~;; An art showing sounds great!! I would make up some business cards or flyers to hand out to people at the showing too if you havent already :O

It also helps if you can find a site that has a lot of visitors in your target client base?? I have gotten basically every single commission from furcadia users because A) I advertise there more B) my pricing and C) my style isn't too out of place there. Also a lot more mature users/people with actual money and not gaia gold or deviantart points, lol. I hope that helps a little bit mad maybe ebay or etsy-style sites?

your art is a m a z i n g omg so I hope you get some business ;__; bumpin so people with better advice can see this LOL
Your art is very classy. Are there any locations that you could set up a gallery? That Spiderman Artwork is a strong piece you could make prints of and sell at conventions. Fanart sells well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff