Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Gaian

purplelightpika
God-the-almighty
Not so much now days. Dad resents me buying supplies.

Oh dear.
It's not even his money. He makes it impossible to get stuff around here so I have to order online.

Dangerous Member

8,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
purplelightpika
EternalFlame
On a scale of 1-10, it'd probably be the -10.

Which means "very not supportive"? How do you deal with them then?

Means they are pretty much actively opposed to it, since "art is not a boy thing to do, and your supposed to be a grown up."

As with most things involving my family, I ignore them and do what I want to anyway.

If they had their way, I'd have worked myself to death by now, left everything to them, and would have fit in perfectly with the Thatcher-era England where you started work at about 6, and if you lived past 45 you were old.
God-the-almighty
purplelightpika
God-the-almighty

Oh dear.
It's not even his money. He makes it impossible to get stuff around here so I have to order online.

I'm lucky that my mom doesn't go onto this level of annoyance, although sometimes she nags me a little. Just a habit of her to nag for everything I do.
EternalFlame
purplelightpika
EternalFlame
On a scale of 1-10, it'd probably be the -10.

Which means "very not supportive"? How do you deal with them then?

Means they are pretty much actively opposed to it, since "art is not a boy thing to do, and your supposed to be a grown up."

As with most things involving my family, I ignore them and do what I want to anyway.

If they had their way, I'd have worked myself to death by now, left everything to them, and would have fit in perfectly with the Thatcher-era England where you started work at about 6, and if you lived past 45 you were old.

I'm gonna to learn a lot from you. razz

Dangerous Member

8,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
purplelightpika
I'm gonna to learn a lot from you. razz

You just have to be who you are. Or I suppose, more accurately, who you want to be.

I would love to do art for a living. I draw and write my own webcomic, and I've been drawing that since 1999. I keep redoing it because I want it to be the best I can offer, but the idea is that I'm taking those steps, which is all I can really do, you know?

I also do fanarts, cause that usually makes me try new styles and things like that. 3nodding

4,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
EternalFlame
"art is not a boy thing to do, and your supposed to be a grown up."

you should ask them how many artists they remember from art history are men, then how many they remember are women.

Dangerous Member

8,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Sat-AM_Reject
EternalFlame

you should ask them how many artists they remember from art history are men, then how many they remember are women.

Mm. Logic doesn't work on people who bury their heads in the sand.

4,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
EternalFlame
Sat-AM_Reject
EternalFlame

Mm. Logic doesn't work on people who bury their heads in the sand.
Logic doesn't, but you can still probably argue against sexism with more sexism~!

Tipsy Prophet

8,250 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
My parents are quite supportive. I'm very fortunate.
I think they'd be really disappointed in me if I decided to pursue a career in art. I don't think they take me seriously. One time I told my mom I might go to art school, and she seemed cool with it. The next week she's telling me all about getting good grades so I can get into a university and get a good job. Good job being defined as something in the medical career.

Enduring Gaian

purplelightpika
God-the-almighty
purplelightpika
God-the-almighty

Oh dear.

I'm lucky that my mom doesn't go onto this level of annoyance, although sometimes she nags me a little. Just a habit of her to nag for everything I do.
I'm an adult too, so it's ridiculous that he's doing this. He even cancelled my medical apts. without telling me. I went there and told them only I can cancel my appointments. I didn't lose my brain when my legs went to hell.

7,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Mark Twain 100
They support me a lot, but I think it would be different if I was in a more traditional part of the arts.
Where I'm from, 3D and games is such a huge and growing industry, even my familly knows that.
But when I was younger and was serious about stage acting, they were... not as enthusiastic.
My family supports me very deeply, although they don't always support what I choose to draw. Their disagreements are quiet, though, and they come to all my shows and whatnot.

Timid Phantom

13,000 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Object of Affection 150
My mother has always encouraged my artistic side because she was a writer, and shes won many contests. She used to do some sketching too, I think.

My dad encourages it somewhat. He doesn't pay attention but sometimes he's around for my modeling shoots.

I write/sketch/ and model.

Lonely Capitalist

10,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Much of my family works in a creative industry of some sort so my parents already know that someone could make money as an artist. My ex's parents always was on my ex's case because she didn't want to work in the medical field all the while I didn't mention that most of the people I knew in the film industry makes in a week what they made in a month.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff