Welcome to Gaia! ::

Whenever I touch my drawing pencil, my mom would say that I waste my time.

I'm now being in a job where my boss support so much of my artist dream that she actually lets me to go for class even it's working hour, my mom would say that I should go for a job which has more money and more challenges awaiting.

Sometime I just feel sick of her.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
My mom doesn't really think highly of me in the arts, even if she's the one helping pay for art school. It's still hard for her to comprehend that people want to go into a career because they're not into money, but rather they're passionate about the subject. Of course, she's an accountant and I'm not. I think she's happy that I found what I want to do with my life, but there are times where her prejudice against my career choice slips, and it does sting quite a bit.

To be fair, art careers are really impractical on so many different levels. That's why only the ridiculously passionate and talented get anywhere in this industry. But either way, don't let someone's disdain for the arts keep you from doing what you want to do. Even if it's your own mother.
Kupocake

To have someone sounds so "impressively" in the family sure is hard to go for art career. I understand that my mom always envy so much of my aunt who is a mother of an engineer, an accountant and a doctor. And she always mention to me that I am an Economics graduate, I should go for big company and high salary.

Sometimes she has some soft heart and would tell me: Keep drawing. But most of the time she just see me as if I am a hobo, a university student without a good job.

Dangerous Capitalist

7,650 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
purplelightpika
Kupocake

To have someone sounds so "impressively" in the family sure is hard to go for art career. I understand that my mom always envy so much of my aunt who is a mother of an engineer, an accountant and a doctor. And she always mention to me that I am an Economics graduate, I should go for big company and high salary.

Sometimes she has some soft heart and would tell me: Keep drawing. But most of the time she just see me as if I am a hobo, a university student without a good job.
It's an issue of pride, then. She doesn't want to be upstaged by her sister, and she feels the need to brag. Same thing with my mom. Frackin' Chinese idealism.

Sparkling Streaker

My family are 100% behind me, although my Dad seems to have this silly thought that all I do is doodle anime crap and I still "don't know" what I want to do. I think he's just out of the loop because I only talk to him every second weekend. Besides that, everyone encourages and supports me. emotion_dealwithit

Fashionable Lunatic

6,050 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
User ImageUser Image

My family supports me whole hardheartedly, although my dad could care less what I do, just as long as I get a job to pay off my loans. I think it's mostly because he has almost no idea what I do... I think he just thinks I make pretty pictures all day. I once told him I couldn't come home one weekend because I had a ton of homework to do still, his was response was "Well can't you just draw faster? That's what you do all day, isn't?". Parents just want their kids to be successful, and most of the time, for parents, success = being a doctor, lawyer, accountant, ect. There's that stereotype of the 'starving artist' that people always think of, and the only ones who are 'rich' are the ones who are dead. Of course this isn't 100% true now, and there are plenty of successful artists in the industry, most people just don't know about them. Heh, for example, not too long ago, when Glen Kene left Disney, I was trying to explain to my dad just how important he was to me, and what he worked on at Disney, ect. He didn't really care, and I could tell he was spacing out even when I told him which Disney Princesses he designed and such. He just doesn't share the same enthusiasm for it as I do.

My advice for you... Just don't worry about it. If you really like art, then do it. Of course I don't know your exact situation, but make sure you do art even if she doesn't really approve it. Maybe giving her a drawing you did as a gift or something could help...I dunno, I'm just talking now.
bacon queen

It sure is wonderful to have the whole family supports you! Cherish them! I'm a little bit jealous, to be honest! biggrin
link freak131
Maybe giving her a drawing you did as a gift or something could help...I dunno, I'm just talking now.

That's a great idea, thank you! biggrin
I'll try to draw her a portrait if I've got chance.
I'm more of a digital artist, so I myself think i should use that as a part time job

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
My family doesn't really care... I have not really proved anything to them thus far to really show that I'm not just wasting time anyway so... >_>

Tiny Friend

XD It's funny, my parents support me being an artist but they have very specific things in mind.

My mum would have me be a fine artist, and my dad would have me be an animator working for Pixar...
And I like making comics and doing web design XD

My dad in particular pushes me to be an animator by buying my expensive gear, but I just feel bad because it's not what I want to do ^^;;

But when I try to explain to either of them that I don't want to get a job doing art, they kinda freak out XD
Cus I'm happy having a crappy job, as long as I can go to conventions and make comics, and they don't understand why I'd want to not have lots of money ^^;

It's definitely got to be a money thing.
Soreiyu

I wish she would just care less if she keeps giving me sign to give up. Otherwise I do hope to get motivations from my family.
Hoshimi Ritsuon
XD It's funny, my parents support me being an artist but they have very specific things in mind.

My mum would have me be a fine artist, and my dad would have me be an animator working for Pixar...
And I like making comics and doing web design XD

My dad in particular pushes me to be an animator by buying my expensive gear, but I just feel bad because it's not what I want to do ^^;;

But when I try to explain to either of them that I don't want to get a job doing art, they kinda freak out XD
Cus I'm happy having a crappy job, as long as I can go to conventions and make comics, and they don't understand why I'd want to not have lots of money ^^;

It's definitely got to be a money thing.

I have the feeling that your parents know really a lot of art career... smile

Rainbow Werewolf

I think no matter what I did my parents would have the same reaction. My dad is more pushy to make it a job that I make a lot of money.
Glowstick Overdose
I think no matter what I did my parents would have the same reaction. My dad is more pushy to make it a job that I make a lot of money.

And for some reason I don't think they would satisfy with our current achievement...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff