Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I can't quite find that good way for someone to be in a picture, it always looks so bland in my eyes, I also don't feel like taking poses straight from other people's artwork feels right because it doesn't feel like I'm helping myself, am I making a big mistake here? What do you do to put someone in that sort of perfect position? What do you do to find the motivation? Did you start using references off of the internet?

Feral Cat

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I just reference everything. 8I

Like...I'll get an idea of what I want from stock images and such from DA and then use the ideas to throw together a sketch and then go from there.

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I draw squiggles all over a sheet of paper, then select random curves and tell myself, "This is where your sketch must start." Some pretty crazy s**t comes out of doing that, but sometimes I get wild, awesome poses from it.

Dangerous Lunatic

Think of an idea, then spend a couple of minutes looking for interesting poses threw photo reference, then draw.

Girl-Crazy Millionaire

8,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Contributor 150
Heya! Think this wizard is coming in to give some advice! Don`t mind me!
Lots of people tend to use picture references to use for their artworks and that`s not uncommon nor is it bad to. I understand how you feel about using other people`s artwork. But I`m here to tell you that it is OK! Sometimes people use more than one reference to create one pose in itself, and there are lots of great places on the internet to find them! As long as you credit the source you got it from. You can even look in the mirror and use your own body or even ask a friend to pose without making all that effort to scrape up pictures on the internets.

But if you`re looking for a step away from bland, here`s a recommendation on some pose work.

1) Look at the pose you`re working on. What in specific feels bland? Make a mental list.
2) Think of ways you can make the pose more interesting. What if you moved the arm up a bit more? What if you made the character hunch a little?
3) Don`t be too subtle. If you`re trying to be expressive with your works, the big picture in general needs to be enough to draw the viewer in. Is your subject scared/happy/sad? How can you (the viewer) tell without looking at the face?
4) OBSERVE BODY LANGUAGE OUT IN THE WILD. The face may be important, but if you`ve watched people while they`re talking, they tend to express things with their body. Ever seen someone straighten themselves out and puff out their chest when they`re angry? It`s a natural reaction and if you stop and observe people around you, you can catch bits of inspiration to add to your pose to make it seem more dramatic.
5) CHANGE THE ANGLE. Sometimes things need to be looked at a different way! Perspective can be dramatic and shift the whole mood of a work.
6) Don`t be too hard on yourself! Being an artist is tough, but that doesn`t mean you always have to criticize yourself! If you like something, compliment it! If you don`t, then take a short break and come back to it. You`ll be able to look at things with a clear head and at a new angle.

Hope this helped!

XOXO,
gaia_star Hina gaia_star

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out