Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Noob

I am absolutely in love with the effect this lamp gives off. I really want to use it in a photography project. I'm looking for anything similar to recreate this light effect. Is it bubbled glass or does it have holes in it? Could i maybe just drill holes in foam core or cardboard or does it have to be like frosted plexi.

Any suggestions are welcome.

User Image

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100
It looks to me like it has holes in it, most likely with something to help focus the light. Either that or the holes are just really really tiny.

Also, google search turned this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Star-Lamp-Kit-Projector/dp/B001BAJD3I

Fashionable Ladykiller

11,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
The easiest way to get the lighting on the surroundings would be to get a globe and paint it black then drill holes in it. Then you can just but it over a lamp...

Fashionable Noob

Syrella
It looks to me like it has holes in it, most likely with something to help focus the light. Either that or the holes are just really really tiny.

Also, google search turned this up:
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Star-Lamp-Kit-Projector/dp/B001BAJD3I

Catanaition N. D.
The easiest way to get the lighting on the surroundings would be to get a globe and paint it black then drill holes in it. Then you can just but it over a lamp...
Oh, that's really cheap. Maybe i'll just buy one.

But, i kind of want to use a strobe with it. I like the globe idea, but that sounds annoying to take a globe apart and idk what they cost. I was thinking maybe a plastic fish tank? What else could i buy? Also, i just need enough coverage to get it on 1 person full body, standing.

Fashionable Noob

Oh, nvm. I think i will just buy the real product. It comes apart so i can put it on my strobe head. xD

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
pic

14,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Mage 100
Kaielyn
I am absolutely in love with the effect this lamp gives off. I really want to use it in a photography project. I'm looking for anything similar to recreate this light effect. Is it bubbled glass or does it have holes in it? Could i maybe just drill holes in foam core or cardboard or does it have to be like frosted plexi.

Any suggestions are welcome.

User Image

Well, you can see the light behind the material, so it might not be as thick as foam.. Perhaps cardstock? It is a really cool lamp and I love the effect it gives off. You are trying to recreate the lamp, non?

Fashionable Noob

blaze191

Well, you can see the light behind the material, so it might not be as thick as foam.. Perhaps cardstock? It is a really cool lamp and I love the effect it gives off. You are trying to recreate the lamp, non?
I just chose to buy the lamp. I didn't expect someone to find it for sale, but they did up there in the posts. ^^^^ And i want to use the effect with a strobe light so i can do portraits with it. I didn't know it was an unassembled kit at first, but it is...so i can just use the top only with my own light. razz

14,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Mage 100
Kaielyn
blaze191

I just chose to buy the lamp. I didn't expect someone to find it for sale, but they did up there in the posts. ^^^^ And i want to use the effect with a strobe light so i can do portraits with it. I didn't know it was an unassembled kit at first, but it is...so i can just use the top only with my own light. razz

I saw the post right after I commented, haha. That's cool...I might try and make it razz I need a summer project. I'm curious about how you plan on using it in portraits. Good luck!

Fashionable Noob

blaze191

I saw the post right after I commented, haha. That's cool...I might try and make it razz I need a summer project. I'm curious about how you plan on using it in portraits. Good luck!
I'm doing an ethereal star themed fashion shoot. So i will probably use this starry light and a blue light to make it look like a sky on the person. Maybe no blue. Not sure yet.

Shapeshifter

User Image ...I want that lamp... and not for art.. I just want to stare at it.... eek

Fashionable Noob

Uronoro
User Image ...I want that lamp... and not for art.. I just want to stare at it.... eek
That's the first thing i thought too. xD But then my star themed photoshoot coming up dawned on me. I will probably just stare at it a bunch when i'm done. Too bad it's flimsy...it would have made a cool doodad for the coffee table.

14,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Mage 100
Kaielyn
blaze191

I'm doing an ethereal star themed fashion shoot. So i will probably use this starry light and a blue light to make it look like a sky on the person. Maybe no blue. Not sure yet.

The blue might make it look like it's under water. : A fashion shoot in the dark, however still isn't that productive..

Fashionable Noob

blaze191

The blue might make it look like it's under water. : A fashion shoot in the dark, however still isn't that productive..
I appreciate the feedback. You might be right about the blue. I am testing the lighting when the starry light arrives.

I am using professional photo strobe lights, so i will not be in the dark.

14,575 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Novice Mage 100
Kaielyn
blaze191

I appreciate the feedback. You might be right about the blue. I am testing the lighting when the starry light arrives.

I am using professional photo strobe lights, so i will not be in the dark.

Well, photography is all about experimenting smile !

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff