Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Cat

5,350 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

So I've drawn since, well since I could hold a pencil. I took a long hiatus (a few years worth really) and Im trying to get back into it. I prefer traditional mixed with digital.
I lost my tablet to my ex over a year ago so Im having to color and such with my computer mouse and ts making it hard. Ive been practicing with headshots cus I cant draw a body and this is what Ive come up with so far.

User Image

User Image

any tips or tricks I can try?
Thanks!

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
If you need other people to convince you to keep drawing, it sounds like you don't actually enjoy doing it. confused

Tipsy Cat

5,350 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Lychee Fruit
If you need other people to convince you to keep drawing, it sounds like you don't actually enjoy doing it. confused
Thats the thing, I enjoy it so much, I just have no support anymore.
I used to have so much from friends and family and now no one cares and it feels like why I should I bother.
But its always been such a part of my life and a part of me, one I do not want to lose.
Im just stuck in this funk and Im sick of it and I cant seem to get the flame going on my own...

11,865 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
Don't let that stop you! I see potential in you! I have been in the same boat as you before where I had no friends and family to help support me in art, but I never let them influence me, it was me that had to believe in myself! Now that I am older I do have support, but I hardly listen cause everything is based on your passion for art. I have a boyfriend who supports me, but I don't let him influence me haha. I know being alone sucks, but you just gotta believe in yourself, because anything worth more in this world is you!
With that being said I will be glad to support you along your journey, currently going to college for animation so I can give you helpful tips on art

Dangerous Worshipper

My advice is to join fb groups for art, go to your local college art club, take some intense art classes, etc.

Ajuine's Wife

Mythical Mystic

8,325 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Married 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Growing up I never had any support for my art.
And I stopped drawing MANY times. Even in art class, I had the teacher tell me they didn't care for my "style". (which at the time was anime)
So I received no help from her either.

But some years ago I had joined a website called Deviantart, it's great art community!
People there, have helped me to because the artist I am today!
Not to mention you can find tutorials on ANYTHING.
My art improved drastically once I started studying tutorials and practicing with their help.

Remember, not to push yourself too hard, or you can end up really disliking your work.
Take breaks when needed, and draw/practice/color whenever you feel the inspiration to do so.

And I only took art classes in High school. (I've been out of high school for 5 years)

Allow me to show you some of my art. <3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art from when I was in High School:

User Image
User Image

Art from me now:

User Image
User Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying classes can't help you, but I'm just saying that they are not required for you to become a "better" artist.

The main key is time and practice! <3
Even with a mouse! ;3

I do all my pixel art with a mouse:
User Image

Even with using the mouse, it just takes time and practice. ;3

And there are some amazing artist on Deviantart that drawn using only a mouse. Even sketching with it. (which I can't do)

From what I can see, your art is really good! Don't give up on herself! <3
No matter how long it takes! ^^

Invisible Gekko

8,275 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Invisibility 100
If you’re not willing to put the effort into caring about the act of drawing yourself then you probably don't love it enough to keep going. Having other people who you've never met tell you that your amazing and you can do it won't help you in the long run. The truth is that many artists don't have support from their family and friends, myself included, and yet they all keep working at it. Take the time to really think about why it is you started again. Find for yourself what it is you love about it, don't depend on other people.

Shy Kitten

8,425 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Junior Trader 100
ahhh I, also, have taken really long hiatus... some years ago, I had some personal issues and I didn't feel like drawing, that was all.. but then, when I really wanted to back at drawing.. I wanted to cry hahaha XDD, so I know how you feel .. is a sad feeling. You feel like you have lost valuables knowledges and time. But the most important thing that you haven't retired of it and you still want to keep trying! I think what you already have is so pretty, I like the style! heart

Quotable Shopper

5,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Millionaire 200
There's nothing wrong with getting tired of art and taking hiatus... It's important because sometimes the artist needs time to recharge whee

Also, I think your friends/family don't support you because they don't know you need this kind of thing... People usually don't understand how important their feedback is.

Duuurn's Wife

Backwoods Hiker

S a y u r i - su
I used to have so much from friends and family and now no one cares and it feels like why I should I bother.
But its always been such a part of my life and a part of me, one I do not want to lose.
Im just stuck in this funk and Im sick of it and I cant seem to get the flame going on my own...

So you want your art to get attention? Just get a dA and whore out with fanart.

No one ever gave a s**t about my art, I just got my BA in Fine Art Studio Drawing, so, you don't need support, you want to feel like people want to see it. Everyone wants that -- just have to sacrifice some pride sometimes. I think the last conte piece I sold was $200 after a month of work on it? That's sacrificing, lmao. We all have to do it, it's alright.

No one will get your flame going, and pushing it out will make it worse. Wait for it to come, find another hobby for a bit, listen to music and think of relate-able images, etc.

You'll draw again eventually. Find an artist and watch them, or go to an art museum, watch a friend who can draw, or buy art books -- something will work. Pushing yourself won't, though, it will just create frustration.

Friendly Rabbit

If you feel the need for people to congratulate you and give you encouragement telling you that your doing an amazing job and you need that encouragement to continue doing art then you need to reevaluate why you started doing art in the first place and why you are where you are now. If you need people to tell you how great you are so you can have confidence then it sounds as if you dont really enjoy the art your doing

Business Strawberry

if you need people to convince you to keep drawing, drawing might not be the thing for you? i can understand wanting support and to have others encourage you though, if you really need that in your life and you can't get that anywhere else you can probably join some artist groups online and make some friends who also draw and you can lift each other up that way. unfortunately if you only want encouragement for your art you might not last very long and get burned out pretty quick if you lose that friend group that was helping to encourage you. at some point you might need to just push yourself to keep going if you really want to pursue drawing as some sort of career option or even a very serious hobby.

in the end, the only person who can make you continue drawing is you.

Brave Star

9,700 Points
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Temple Takeover 200
keep sketching... if you go alone to pretty places will enjoy and have fun, 3nodding maybe the creating goddess will smile for you. heart Don't worry about the others.

HarelquinPrince's Husband

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
*takes a deep breath* I know that I'll get a lot of flak for this and that there are going to be long arduous arguments over this but ******** it it NEEDS to be said.

S a y u r i - su

Stop. That's a sign of depression. I'm not kidding, it really is. I've been there (currently AM there) SEVERAL times. Depression isn't always a lifetime thing (like in my case), as it may be a one time deal or even seasonal, but it's something that you can't dismiss lightly either. Depression affects you in weird ways, but one of the most common signs is the inability to enjoy or do the things you used to love.

Created From Snow
If you’re not willing to put the effort into caring about the act of drawing yourself then you probably don't love it enough to keep going. Having other people who you've never met tell you that your amazing and you can do it won't help you in the long run. The truth is that many artists don't have support from their family and friends, myself included, and yet they all keep working at it. Take the time to really think about why it is you started again. Find for yourself what it is you love about it, don't depend on other people.

Bolded the parts I don't agree with because oh my God do you understand what you are saying? No seriously, really think about you just told this person. How potentially DAMNING that can be? That of they can't even be bothered to care (which could easily be due depression or just you misconstruing what they've said) then they should stop? Especially when OP clearly stated that they love to draw? I want you to stop what you're doing stare at your screen, and instead of seeing text see a person. Like a living breathing person. Now try to say that to their face. That's not ok.

For your comment of that artists don't need support or rather they don't need people giving them false praise is BS. Because OP isn't asking for false praise. OP is asking for support. The fact you automatically assume support = false praise is just so damn narrow minded. Because I'm over here with zero ******** talent in art, like I've seen 13 year olds who can draw way better than me, but through the support of my family and friends I've grinded hard enough to have pretty decent art. Likeable and passable art even. And it wouldn't have happened without support. And yes, sometimes people would go "zomg that's amaze balls" at pieces that now no longer hold standard. But should I be ashamed of that? No, because it was because of that I thought "well now I gotta do better so that maybe they'll think my next piece is amaze balls." It's when you become complacent and won't take harsh criticism to your art that you need a wake up call. Not when you want to have people helping you. I agree that you'll get burned out after only getting praise like that, but realistically speaking it's just not gonna happen.

I do agree though that OP should prolly find themselves and their reason to draw as it may and probably should help them get through their funk. But we are humans and naturally depend on each other. Don't act like dependency is a bad thing. It's only bad when it's total dependency and cripples your ability with making healthy meaningful relationships and your emotional well being. 

sadlymistakens
If you feel the need for people to congratulate you and give you encouragement telling you that your doing an amazing job and you need that encouragement to continue doing art then you need to reevaluate why you started doing art in the first place and why you are where you are now. If you need people to tell you how great you are so you can have confidence then it sounds as if you dont really enjoy the art your doing

Get off your high horse because you're currently wallowing in BS. SUPPORT DOES NOT EQUAL FALSE PRAISE OR FALSE ENCOURAGEMENT. Do you know how idiotic it is to say people don't need encouragement. Or that they don't need someone to help with their confidence? Are you ******** kidding me? Seriously? Apply that statement to anything else and make it seem like a good thing. I ******** dare you. Yeah I'll just not encourage my sister to pursue science or I won't help build my niece's confidence to do the things that she wants to do. A++ advice on how to be a decent ******** human being here. 10/10 will do.

Don't act like artists are immune to insecurities or need to be predisposed to talent to get through their art and flourish without any shred of work or help ever. Cos that's just willful ignorance right there. Yes, OP should reevaluate why they're doing art. But not for the "reasons" you stated. It's gross and dehumanizing to think that people shouldn't ask for support or to immediately jump to the conclusion that someone wants instant gratification via false praise. It's honestly sickening.

@OP: Here's my advice to you. Just draw. Draw every single day till the day you die. It's the only way to actively improve. And get involved with people. Make friends with artists who compliment your art style. Make friends with artists who don't. Make friends who'll draw shitty comics and memes with you at three o'clock in the morning because nyan cat. Make friends with writers with ideas so grand and characters so cool you can't help it but just run to the nearest sketchbook because it just sounds so ******** cool. Draw art that to you is breathtaking. Draw art that literally makes you cringe because it looks so ugly. Fill pages with what you love to draw. Fill pages with things you hate to draw. Show off your best art. Show off art that you yourself don't want to see.

Look up art tutorials to things you don't even draw. Google references and how-to's till it's 5 in the morning and you should really go to bed but you can't because you're learning so much. Sign up for as many group and projects that you can so that your mind and body are always practicing. Draw something until it becomes muscle memory. Remember it's ok to take brakes. Especially if you've been drawing nonstop. You're not a machine you're a human being. Remember to drink water and eat right. But also draw something that makes you so passionate that makes you forget.

And remember, it's ok to ask for help. 
Ignoring all of the tension in this thread, I recommend that you practice shading your drawings with a lead pencil(or any other medium, as long as you keep it monochromatic). That way you already have your tones and values established.

Once you're done, you can then go back to PaintToolSai, create a new layer on top of the photograph of your drawing. If you shaded with a colored pencil, or anything that is not a gray/black medium, then don't forget to lower the saturation of your drawing first! To do that, simply press CTRL+U and move the saturation arrow all the way to the left. You should be left with a grayscale image if you did not have one already.

Set the new layer to 'Overlay' or 'Multiply' (which ever you prefer, experiment with it)

Then just color on that layer, it should be easier now because you don't have to worry about the density or opacity of your brush since your'e just applying color to your drawing. When using a mouse, I recommend using the airbrush tool to color and then erasing all of the unwanted bits with the Eraser tool in the end.

Good luck on your future drawings! Hopefully you can get a new tablet soon, because they do help a ton if you plan on doing digital artwork. If you have any questions, then feel free to message me. I'd be glad to help!~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff