Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cat

Okay so someone first of all, help me find what to call these haha. I'm not looking for a graphics tablet, like a wacom or anything. I'm looking for a tablet that runs windows 8.
I was looking into getting a cintiq but those are hella expensive, surface pro's are also extremely expensive so let's try to stay away from these. I'm not worried about screen size or anything like that.

I want a windows 8 tablet that will work with a wacom (or other drawing digital) pen to draw with paint tool sai or manga studio and stuff like that. I'm also looking for something fairly priced, but I understand if this isn't possible. Obviously, the tablet will need to have a desktop mode and not just the windows 8 tile screen

I've seen that cintiq where you can take it with you and I want it so hard but it's not within my budget right now emotion_drool

Any suggestions?
What you're describing has been my dream computer for a decade. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't exist. Wacom is the only company that offers a full Windows computer with a touch screen sensitive enough to draw on with a pen. I dream of the day that I can justify the purchase of a Cintiq Companion.

Windows 8 tablets and mobile devices like the iPad and android devices are designed for very simple finger gestures, and fingers are big fat things that aren't very accurate (not nearly as accurate as a fine tipped pen). I have heard of the Wacom pens that use data gathered from the pen itself to transfer pressure information to a drawing program, but I am not necessarily convinced by those.

If anyone wants to come in here and prove me wrong and show me the dream product iPaulie and I want, then that would be the best biggrin

Bloodthirsty Prophet

iPaulie
Okay so someone first of all, help me find what to call these haha. I'm not looking for a graphics tablet, like a wacom or anything. I'm looking for a tablet that runs windows 8.
I was looking into getting a cintiq but those are hella expensive, surface pro's are also extremely expensive so let's try to stay away from these. I'm not worried about screen size or anything like that.

I want a windows 8 tablet that will work with a wacom (or other drawing digital) pen to draw with paint tool sai or manga studio and stuff like that. I'm also looking for something fairly priced, but I understand if this isn't possible. Obviously, the tablet will need to have a desktop mode and not just the windows 8 tile screen

I've seen that cintiq where you can take it with you and I want it so hard but it's not within my budget right now emotion_drool

Any suggestions?

so they are expensive because they are designed for what you want. a regular tablet isn't really designed to handle that level of pressure sensativity, if at all.

Bloodthirsty Prophet

Absinthe and Ink
What you're describing has been my dream computer for a decade. Unfortunately, it simply doesn't exist. Wacom is the only company that offers a full Windows computer with a touch screen sensitive enough to draw on with a pen. I dream of the day that I can justify the purchase of a Cintiq Companion.

Windows 8 tablets and mobile devices like the iPad and android devices are designed for very simple finger gestures, and fingers are big fat things that aren't very accurate (not nearly as accurate as a fine tipped pen). I have heard of the Wacom pens that use data gathered from the pen itself to transfer pressure information to a drawing program, but I am not necessarily convinced by those.

If anyone wants to come in here and prove me wrong and show me the dream product iPaulie and I want, then that would be the best biggrin
lol you said this a lot better than me and somehow i pissed your post.
GothicSquish
Absinthe and Ink

lol you said this a lot better than me and somehow i pissed your post.

Well at least you've got the better avatar wink
Actually tablet laptops have been around for awhile, I've had two so far. The first one I got was a HP Touchsmart TM2, I think I got that back in 2011? I started doing lots of reading up on it cause man I just wanted a digital sketchbook that didn't need to be plugged into the computer like a Cintiq.

I'm currently using a Samsung Series 7 Slate that came out in 2012. It uses Wacom drivers and runs Windows 8.

There are others too - a good place to look and ask is actually TabletPCReview. They have a section dedicated to helping people choose the best tablets for what they need and someone even has a thread up asking for advice on the best Tablet PC / Notebook for Art.

I had to do a lot of research to find a laptop that I wanted and dug through a lot of threads before I settled on my Samsung. It only has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and from a few threads it seems the digitizer uses Wacom 2 pens (so your newer pens like Wacom 3+ won't work and you'll need to go buy another one if you don't want to use the stock standard stylus that it comes with. I use an Axiotron tablet pen that's essentially a fatter wacom stylus).

Back at that time the other main competitor I think was the Asus EP121 which I believe also used Wacom drivers.

Since I'm still very happy with my Samsung I haven't bothered looking at what's out in the market now.

These are some photos I've taken while working on it - I also live stream on it so if you're curious to see it being used live I can link you.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

And here's a review on it by Finni biggrin

Cat

HitokiriChibi
Actually tablet laptops have been around for awhile, I've had two so far. The first one I got was a HP Touchsmart TM2, I think I got that back in 2011? I started doing lots of reading up on it cause man I just wanted a digital sketchbook that didn't need to be plugged into the computer like a Cintiq.

I'm currently using a Samsung Series 7 Slate that came out in 2012. It uses Wacom drivers and runs Windows 8.

There are others too - a good place to look and ask is actually TabletPCReview. They have a section dedicated to helping people choose the best tablets for what they need and someone even has a thread up asking for advice on the best Tablet PC / Notebook for Art.

I had to do a lot of research to find a laptop that I wanted and dug through a lot of threads before I settled on my Samsung. It only has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and from a few threads it seems the digitizer uses Wacom 2 pens (so your newer pens like Wacom 3+ won't work and you'll need to go buy another one if you don't want to use the stock standard stylus that it comes with. I use an Axiotron tablet pen that's essentially a fatter wacom stylus).

Back at that time the other main competitor I think was the Asus EP121 which I believe also used Wacom drivers.

Since I'm still very happy with my Samsung I haven't bothered looking at what's out in the market now.

These are some photos I've taken while working on it - I also live stream on it so if you're curious to see it being used live I can link you.
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

256 levels of pressure sensitivity isn't a lot, since I'm used to my 2000 something on my intuos, however! What you said about a digital sketchbook is exactly what I'm looking for. I wanna go paperless, sketchbooks take up too much space gonk
And it would also be helpful to work on commissions where I can't bring my laptop, like my grandmas. Thank you so much for your input! I will definitely look into the links you sent, and the tablet you purchased yourself. :3

Edit: and I would love to see a link! seeing it used in action might be best :3 Thanks!

Cat

Absinthe and Ink

There are many computer tablets that will take wacom pens, though they won't have as much pressure sensitivity as an intuos or cintiq will. But I already have an intuos, i'm just looking for a digital sketchbook to take with me :3 You should look into the post Hitokiri wrote, it's very informational! Though my ideal tablet would be one with as many levels of pressure sensitivity as my intuos, I don't think that's an achievable dream at this point, until wacom lowers their prices on their cintiqs haha.
iPaulie
HitokiriChibi
Actually tablet laptops have been around for awhile, I've had two so far. The first one I got was a HP Touchsmart TM2, I think I got that back in 2011? I started doing lots of reading up on it cause man I just wanted a digital sketchbook that didn't need to be plugged into the computer like a Cintiq.I'm currently using a Samsung Series 7 Slate that came out in 2012. It uses Wacom drivers and runs Windows 8.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image

256 levels of pressure sensitivity isn't a lot, since I'm used to my 2000 something on my intuos, however! What you said about a digital sketchbook is exactly what I'm looking for. I wanna go paperless, sketchbooks take up too much space gonk
And it would also be helpful to work on commissions where I can't bring my laptop, like my grandmas. Thank you so much for your input! I will definitely look into the links you sent, and the tablet you purchased yourself. :3

Edit: and I would love to see a link! seeing it used in action might be best :3 Thanks!

I'll be honest with you - I was a bit worried about the amount of pressure but it's actually fine. I have an Intuos 3 on my desktop and going between the two was no huge biggie.

I doubt Wacom will release higher end sensitivity for laptops though - they've already pulled out from supporting the Microsoft Surface because it would be cutting into their own customer base for their Cintiq Companion lines. I believe Microsoft are making their own drivers for N-Trig, their version of pressure sensitivity. It's still being developed but has come a fair way from what it used to be, so I've heard.

I've got my livestream up now but not sure if you're still online ^^;

http://join.me.hitokirichibi
Oh another option would be Modbook - you'd have to dual boot into Windows since it's primarily Mac but it has 1024 levels of pressure.

Very pricey though. You just have to keep in mind you are essentially buying a full laptop and you'd want one with enough hardware to run your art programs with no hitch, as well as having decent hard drive space.

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
You need to get the Windows Surface Pro 2 or 3. I'm on it right now. it's literally he best purchase of my life. Ever. I've never been so happy. It's literally digital art on the go. I've been able to make so much work outside of my house and not stuck as a computer desk. They're slightly pricey but you don't need to get the one with extreme memory. It comes with a cloud service and most of the time I'm just using it for art and nothing else. The pen sensitivity is great. A ton of artists use Surfaces as their drawing tablet. I have the Surface Pro 2 but there's the 3rd out and it has a larger screen. With all the UI in the way, I only get a small drawing space on the surface pro 2.

Cat

Xhiu
You need to get the Windows Surface Pro 2 or 3. I'm on it right now. it's literally he best purchase of my life. Ever. I've never been so happy. It's literally digital art on the go. I've been able to make so much work outside of my house and not stuck as a computer desk. They're slightly pricey but you don't need to get the one with extreme memory. It comes with a cloud service and most of the time I'm just using it for art and nothing else. The pen sensitivity is great. A ton of artists use Surfaces as their drawing tablet. I have the Surface Pro 2 but there's the 3rd out and it has a larger screen. With all the UI in the way, I only get a small drawing space on the surface pro 2.
I've heard they're great, but I simply can't afford that right now. I'm not a professional artist and not looking to do completed work, so I can't justify spending that much money on a digital sketchbook. :c
I've dug around a little bit and I found samsung's note 10.1 tablet. It's incredibly cheap right now and has almost everything I'm looking for, save the windows bit, but I can deal, I'll just have to re-learn sketchbook pro gonk

Thanks for your input though!

Timid Genius

7,450 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
iPaulie
Xhiu
I've heard they're great, but I simply can't afford that right now. I'm not a professional artist and not looking to do completed work, so I can't justify spending that much money on a digital sketchbook. :c
I've dug around a little bit and I found samsung's note 10.1 tablet. It's incredibly cheap right now and has almost everything I'm looking for, save the windows bit, but I can deal, I'll just have to re-learn sketchbook pro gonk

Well if you're ever in for a real drawing tablet, consider it. I spent a long time researching for the best one and it's definitely it. They're really not that expensive. Like probably under $500 for the old version, the Surface Pro 2. If you have nice family, you should ask for it. But yeah, just play around with what you have for now and see if you get more into digital art. I'm a professional so I really needed something for better productivity c: I love that I can go out and draw while outside or at a friends house. Whee~

Cat

Xhiu
iPaulie
Xhiu

Well if you're ever in for a real drawing tablet, consider it. I spent a long time researching for the best one and it's definitely it. They're really not that expensive. Like probably under $500 for the old version, the Surface Pro 2. If you have nice family, you should ask for it. But yeah, just play around with what you have for now and see if you get more into digital art. I'm a professional so I really needed something for better productivity c: I love that I can go out and draw while outside or at a friends house. Whee~
I did find a pro 2 on ebay for just a little more than the galaxy note.
But I have no money now! gonk So we'll have to see, I guess o:
I've tried both but I much prefer the stylus on the galaxy, so If I did get the pro I'd have to find a compatible second pen.

I have an intuos 5/ Pro. I got it for myself with all of my high school graduation money that should have been spent on a car or college but I adore it! I'm just looking for something that I can carry around, since my computer weighs 5 pounds, not feeling that haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff