Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Prophet

3,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
I've heard the AI art institute was a scam, so I was wondering does anyone know any good art schools ? Preferably for comic art ( I will take up figure drawing to get a better understanding of the human anatomy first, so don't bite me about that ), and for animation.

Kaiserhuff's Sweetheart

I'm currently attending one of the Art Institutes and have also heard a lot about how it's a scam, the figures are exaggerated, etc. etc., but thus far I am really enjoying my time here. It's hella expensive, yes, but other than that I haven't encountered any trouble so far that hasn't been encountered at the other local colleges, community and university alike. All of my instructors so far have been well-trained and very helpful, and many have had professional careers in the art industry. Even in just the last year, my art has improved drastically. (I am going for an animation degree as well, and love doing comics).

Other than that, you'll also want to factor in where you live and/ or where you're willing to move to for schooling. There are a handful of good schools in the Seattle/ Redmond area, such as Digipen, the Academy of Art University, and of course there is a lot going on in California. You might just check out your local community college, take an art course or two, and ask those instructors for direction on where to look at as well.
I'm going to attend College for Creative Studies next year and I looked into the several times program and even visit the campus twice. They have a great illustration and entertainment arts (like for animation) program from what I saw and all the professors are currently working in the art field. So...I'm pretty excited to attend!!

And then there's a ton of colleges I can list off the top of my head. There's also Art Center College of Design, CalArts (really known for their animation program), School of Visual Arts, and Savannah College of Art and Design. Those are the art colleges I hear the most about though. I would not recommend AI because all the stories I heard about it outweighs the good. My art teacher's daughter did attend AI and she now works in the film industry. There's also someone else I (kindabutnotreally) know who got a full-ride scholarship to AI and likes the college a lot. I personally wouldn't risk it, but who knows! Try visiting the campus and do more research on it.

Dangerous Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
its not really a scam per say. the reason why it is not such a good school is because of a few reasons.

1. It is not acceditted. If you try transfering, your credits from that school no state collages will accept.

2. they have large class sizes. From what i know they have larger class sizes than other normal art classes. At the art school i went to the most in a class was about 17 people the least was 3.

3. time. Most other art schools give the classes much more time than AI. AI classes are shorter than most other art schools.

4. The community. Because AI schools are much easier to get into than other schools, many students feel that "its just art" or are just "hobbiest" which can lower the value of the art of people around them. Other schools have higher quality artist, so by having such great artist around you, you strive to reach them, or surpass them, because after all they are your competition.
[That is to say not everyone at AI is bad.]

Those are what i know of the negitives of the school, but some AI schools have quality teachers which makes up for it, if you wish to stick with AI you have to go to their school, and look at their student artwork, and speak to them. Ask them if their teacher is a good teacher. how do they teach etc. Do not look at the teacher's artwork, because even if its OMFG EPICNESS it does not mean they are a good teacher. Teaching is a skill many look down on. there is a saying "those who cant do teach" but the thing is teaching is hard, many people suck at it.

For good artschools there are a few. The ones i know of are in either Europe, New York, or California. there is also another school which is for the super elite, which is all paid for but you have to be da vinci x5 to get in. They only accept 2 underclassmen a year.

For New york and europe you have to look yourself. In cali though there are two that i know of. Otis, and California institute of the arts. Not to be confused with art institute, it was founded by disney (later sold) and is one of the best art schools out there, well in california at least, and as it was founded by disney, it specializes in animation. OTIS is also a good school, though i dont know what it specializes in, it has fasion, toy design, and etc.

But as you are looking to do comic book design, if you can find a school with your major i would take it, if nothing offers it then i suggest illustration as it it the closest to what you are looking for.

PS.
this is by far not all of the best schools, i just know of a few. Newyork was because my friend got recruited there, and Europe because well duh, Europe.

sorry for all the text,and spelling errors!

Original Lunatic

Similarly to AI, don't go to Full Sail. I've read so many horror stories about being scammed out of money and the school not letting the student graduate for one tiny insignificant reason or another.

As far as "art schools" go, MCAD, MICA, KCAI, RISD, Ringling, CVA, SCAD, CalArts (super hard to get into!), SAIC (NOT an AI, despite having AI in the name), are all great schools, and aside from CalArts, I've known people who've attended all of them. I got a full ride to CVA a couple years ago, but couldn't afford to live in St. Paul at the time so I didn't get to attend.

My first school was Cornish College of the Arts, which I heavily suggest staying away from when it comes to visual arts. It's great for theater, but visual arts? Nope.

Not all art schools are created equal, and remember that there are some state schools that have amazing art programs. I currently live in a smaller city, but it's also home to a Minnesota State University campus and I know we have a pretty kickass art program. I went to an art high school, and two of my favorite teachers got art degrees from the college here, and they are both extremely talented working professionals AND teachers.

Hallowed Smoker

Frogerst
its not really a scam per say. the reason why it is not such a good school is because of a few reasons.

1. It is not acceditted. If you try transfering, your credits from that school no state collages will accept.

No. It's accredited in each accreditation area. They're nationally known to be some of the top schools for the fields they teach.
Frogerst

2. they have large class sizes. From what i know they have larger class sizes than other normal art classes. At the art school i went to the most in a class was about 17 people the least was 3.

My largest class has 15 people in it, at the beginning of the quarter. By the time the Quarter ends, it's down to about 5.
Frogerst

3. time. Most other art schools give the classes much more time than AI. AI classes are shorter than most other art schools.

3-6 hour art classes.
Frogerst

4. The community. Because AI schools are much easier to get into than other schools,

You have to provide your own art work in a portfolio, be interviewed, and write an essay to be considered for entry, much like other fine art schools.
Quote:

many students feel that "its just art" or are just "hobbiest" which can lower the value of the art of people around them.

False. Students at AI schools are working to improve their craft for career orientated art.
Quote:

Other schools have higher quality artist, so by having such great artist around you, you strive to reach them, or surpass them, because after all they are your competition.
[That is to say not everyone at AI is bad.]

False, all instructors at AI schools have worked in the 'biz' own their own galleries, are featured in galleries, and hold fine arts masters.

Each student has their strengths and weaknesses, and each student is future career competition, therefore, you're still trying to achieve more than they are interms of art, skill, craft, and galleries.
Frogerst

Those are what i know of the negitives of the school, but some AI schools have quality teachers which makes up for it, if you wish to stick with AI you have to go to their school, and look at their student artwork, and speak to them. Ask them if their teacher is a good teacher. how do they teach etc. Do not look at the teacher's artwork, because even if its OMFG EPICNESS it does not mean they are a good teacher. Teaching is a skill many look down on. there is a saying "those who cant do teach" but the thing is teaching is hard, many people suck at it.

The student grades the teachers at the end of each quarter, too many 'failing' grades from the students, and the teachers are let go.

AI isn't a "fine art school" however, they're Applied Art Schools for business.

Hallowed Smoker

Albino Sea Monkey

Similarly to AI, don't go to Full Sail. I've read so many horror stories about being scammed out of money and the school not letting the student graduate for one tiny insignificant reason or another.

Full Sail is another applied art school, and is considered one of the top for the fields they prepare their students for.

Full Sail has accelerated programs (Bachelor Degrees in less than two years), as such you must maintain above a 2.0 average, and attend 76.667% of all classes (which is similar to AI)
Mister George Kapland

No. It's accredited in each accreditation area. They're nationally known to be some of the top schools for the fields they teach.

No, they're not, it has national accreditation, not regional, which means credits may or may not transfer. Every artist I know working in the industry cringes when they hear AI, and some of those people are graduates. Those that graduated and have made it made it because they worked tirelessly in and outside of school. They knew the school wasn't going to work in their favor.

Quote:
My largest class has 15 people in it, at the beginning of the quarter. By the time the Quarter ends, it's down to about 5.

That doesn't make you wonder? With a dropout rate of 66%?

Quote:
3-6 hour art classes.

Depending on the course, 3-6 hours may be short or too long. I cannot really comment on "that's an appropriate amount of time" on a class if I don't know how long each class was.

Quote:
You have to provide your own art work in a portfolio, be interviewed, and write an essay to be considered for entry, much like other fine art schools.

Unfortunately, this isn't a"looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck therefore it must be a duck!" case. AI got a lot of flack awhile ago for not having that process, and thus changed their ways to make them seem more legitimate.

Quote:

many students feel that "its just art" or are just "hobbiest" which can lower the value of the art of people around them.

False. Students at AI schools are working to improve their craft for career orientated art.

Don't have a comment on this. Snipped stuff I can't comment on.

Quote:

The student grades the teachers at the end of each quarter, too many 'failing' grades from the students, and the teachers are let go.

If you don't see how awful of a practice this is, then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
AI isn't a "fine art school" however, they're Applied Art Schools for business.

And this is where people should see AI for what it is.
Mister George Kapland
Albino Sea Monkey

Full Sail is another applied art school, and is considered one of the top for the fields they prepare their students for.

Full Sail has accelerated programs (Bachelor Degrees in less than two years), as such you must maintain above a 2.0 average, and attend 76.667% of all classes (which is similar to AI)

Similarly, I don't know anyone that enjoyed their stay at Full Sail, but I do know a few teachers that went there and found the conditions by which the school was run to be awful.

It's a trade school. Like DeVry, like AI, it's interests are in money, and not education.

Look, my advice for finding a GOOD art school is to carefully look at how their program is structured.

-Are your first two years filled with foundational courses (life drawing, painting, composition, color theory)
-Are the next two years filled with even MORE foundational classes that apply to your area of study? (ie: do you have a zoo drawing class if you're in animation? How about a figure painting class for fine artists? Do you have a rendering course available for illustrators?)
-How streamlined and defined is your senior year? Will it be spent honing what you've learned in those first three years AND has the school spent your junior year prepping you for internships?
-How many students that have graduated are working in their industry of choice? If they've diverted, are they happy with where they are? Out of graduating classes five years ago, how many are still working in their field of choice?
-Is there help available for students (financially too, yes, but do you have access to a good library, print studio, workstations/laptop discounts)
-Who is teaching there, how long have they been teaching there? (Contrary to what students say, what do graduates say about those teachers?)

Art school is different for everyone that attends. But there are key factors that anyone should take to find the right school.

Hallowed Smoker

KayJKay
Mister George Kapland
Albino Sea Monkey

Similarly, I don't know anyone that enjoyed their stay at Full Sail, but I do know a few teachers that went there and found the conditions by which the school was run to be awful.

It's a trade school. Like DeVry, like AI, it's interests are in money, and not education.

Haha. They're not Trade schools. They're known as applied art schools.

These are trade school

This is what applied art is

Futhermore, you graduate from AI schools with a full Fine Arts diploma, be it Bachelors or Associates. neutral
Mister George Kapland

These are trade school

Futhermore, you graduate from AI schools with a full Fine Arts diploma, be it Bachelors or Associates. neutral

My bad. It should be "for profit"...

Hallowed Smoker

KayJKay

No, they're not, it has national accreditation, not regional,

They're both. AI, the one I'm at especially, is nationally accredited, and regionally accredited by ACICS and ACCSCT. respectively
KayJKay

which means credits may or may not transfer.

For fine art schools, they'd transfer, gen-ed courses would transfer. Art class credits wouldn't transfer to say, a business, law, or journalism course. neutral

KayJKay

Every artist I know working in the industry cringes when they hear AI, and some of those people are graduates. Those that graduated and have made it made it because they worked tirelessly in and outside of school. They knew the school wasn't going to work in their favor.

Funny, I go to galleries and portfolio shows all the time, and I hear the exact opposite.
Especially from employers. Specifically those in the animation, graphic design, and advertising fields.

EDIT: The Importance of Free lance is covered in every art course and school.
KayJKay

That doesn't make you wonder? With a dropout rate of 66%?

It did, until I started to ask why. Most of the students drop a class, or out of school due to financial issues, long commutes, or personal issues. There's not been one student in my tenure there that has dropped out because the school is 'shitty', which is what you seem to be implying.

Quote:

Depending on the course, 3-6 hours may be short or too long. I cannot really comment on "that's an appropriate amount of time" on a class if I don't know how long each class was.

1 hour 50 minutes for Gen-Ed courses, with required tutor time from professors they must spend with students who need help, and 3 hours to 6 hours depending on the specific art class.

Quote:

Unfortunately, this isn't a"looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck therefore it must be a duck!" case. AI got a lot of flack awhile ago for not having that process, and thus changed their ways to make them seem more legitimate.

Actually, they got flack for a fraudulent Student Aid receipt in '10.

Quote:

If you don't see how awful of a practice this is, then I don't know what to say.

It's required practice in Ohio. neutral

KayJKay

And this is where people should see AI for what it is.

Who said it was a fine art school? The OP specifically said they wanted to go in to school to learn about Animation. And unless she goes to Full Sail, there's few Animation schools that are nationally recognized that can top Ai.

Hallowed Smoker

KayJKay
Mister George Kapland

These are trade school

My bad. It should be "for profit"...

Harvard is for profit. neutral

Hallowed Smoker

KayJKay

-Are your first two years filled with foundational courses (life drawing, painting, composition, color theory)

Yes.
KayJKay

-Are the next two years filled with even MORE foundational classes that apply to your area of study? (ie: do you have a zoo drawing class if you're in animation? How about a figure painting class for fine artists? Do you have a rendering course available for illustrators?)

Yes.
KayJKay

-How streamlined and defined is your senior year? Will it be spent honing what you've learned in those first three years AND has the school spent your junior year prepping you for internships?

Yes. Plus resume/portfolio building for both Junior and Senior years as required courses.
KayJKay

-How many students that have graduated are working in their industry of choice? If they've diverted, are they happy with where they are? Out of graduating classes five years ago, how many are still working in their field of choice?

96% for Animation
88% for Graphic Design
90% for Advertising.
100% for culinary.
KayJKay

-Is there help available for students (financially too, yes, but do you have access to a good library, print studio, workstations/laptop discounts)

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
KayJKay

-Who is teaching there, how long have they been teaching there? (Contrary to what students say, what do graduates say about those teachers?)

All good things, all teachers have to have worked in the industry they teach or are Fine Art Majors who own/participate in galleries,
KayJKay

Art school is different for everyone that attends. But there are key factors that anyone should take to find the right school.

According to your checklist AI passes. rofl

Original Lunatic

It's cute and all that you're so supportive of AI (And it's great if you happen to have gotten a good education), but if you compare the thousands of negative stories about AI to the negatives of any other fine arts school out there, you'll realize there are far more things wrong with just AI than all other art schools combined.

And if you're going to give me the "It's an applied school, not fine arts" then let me stop you right there: You've started comparing apples to oranges and your opinion isn't even applicable. Obviously we're discussing good fine arts schools.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff