Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Kitten

17,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Honestly I'm going to download gimp onto my computer. The Photoshop Elements that came with my intuos pro makes me angry, very very angry.
In my opinion gimp is a lot better.

I'm not asking for advice btw xD it's more of an opinion discussion

Dapper Gekko

6,375 Points
  • Team Kitten Star 75
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
I found GIMP confusing to use when I first tried it, I rather use PSE for certain effects for drawings I have drawn in SAI.
It's all about what you're more familiar with/what you learned on, I think.

I learned on CS2, so I've always been more handy with PS than any other free creative suite alternative. GIMP's workspace is confusing to me. xD So is Krita's, and FireAlpaca's. The latter two are more friendly to new users, in my opinion, than GIMP can be, though.

PSE is also a barebones program. It only has the most basic functions of a full PS program, so if frustrations stem from not having certain tools, that's just part of the territory with PSE. But if you don't like PSE, you don't like PSE. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It's all a matter of preference!

Magical Kitten

17,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Eizoryu
It's all about what you're more familiar with/what you learned on, I think.

I learned on CS2, so I've always been more handy with PS than any other free creative suite alternative. GIMP's workspace is confusing to me. xD So is Krita's, and FireAlpaca's. The latter two are more friendly to new users, in my opinion, than GIMP can be, though.

PSE is also a barebones program. It only has the most basic functions of a full PS program, so if frustrations stem from not having certain tools, that's just part of the territory with PSE. But if you don't like PSE, you don't like PSE. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ It's all a matter of preference!

I'm trying to get CS right now because it's been recommended to me

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I used to love Gimp until I got a tablet. For some reason the program won't interact with the tablet, no matter which release I download or how up-to-date my drivers are. I still use it for cleaning up scanned images, but I'm not nearly as busy with it as I used to be. sad

Btw, I'm not sure if they're still offering trial period on CS, but Adobe does give people a one-month trial of CC (their lousy subscription app service). If you want to give the full program a try, you should go for it!

Golden Gaian

8,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Just use CS2 man, it's free on their site so it's legal, safe, and has all of the essential tools an armature artist needs. I wouldn't recommend it to professionals but it's a much better starting point than any version of PS Elements or Gimp.

You'll have to make a free account, but after that the entire package is yours. Bloop.

Just to let you know, it has things such as the pen tool, custom brushes, easy GIF/animation making, and all of the tools that you would find in PS elements. It's personally my recommended free drawing program.

Magical Kitten

17,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Lychee Fruit
I used to love Gimp until I got a tablet. For some reason the program won't interact with the tablet, no matter which release I download or how up-to-date my drivers are. I still use it for cleaning up scanned images, but I'm not nearly as busy with it as I used to be. sad

Btw, I'm not sure if they're still offering trial period on CS, but Adobe does give people a one-month trial of CC (their lousy subscription app service). If you want to give the full program a try, you should go for it!

thanks hun, and yeah I have an intuos pro tablet and gimp doesn't read it, I guess I'm gonna have to find a different program. Back when I used it with my bamboo tablet it would read but baaaaah

Magical Kitten

17,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Puddingskinmcgee
Just use CS2 man, it's free on their site so it's legal, safe, and has all of the essential tools an armature artist needs. I wouldn't recommend it to professionals but it's a much better starting point than any version of PS Elements or Gimp.

You'll have to make a free account, but after that the entire package is yours. Bloop.

Just to let you know, it has things such as the pen tool, custom brushes, easy GIF/animation making, and all of the tools that you would find in PS elements. It's personally my recommended free drawing program.

yup I can afford cs6 and I'm not really a beginner with image programs or art xD so I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get cs6 and call it a day. thanks for the advice though

Golden Gaian

8,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Overstocked 200
Tote Puppe
Puddingskinmcgee

yup I can afford cs6 and I'm not really a beginner with image programs or art xD so I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get cs6 and call it a day. thanks for the advice though

No problem anyway 3nodding
GIMP is a very good software but then again it depends on what you are familiar with. When I first started using GIMP, I couldn't understand a thing and there are still many things to learn. But I have finally gotten used to it and when i tried using photshop......let's say photoshop just didn't work for me. Maybe I will get used to it if I try using it more.....but for the time being GIMP is on top of my favorites list. It doesn't matter what you use as long as you can get used to it and learn more about it ^^
I used GIMP forever and I rather liked it once I got used to it. I didn't like PS Elements either and I found GIMP a worthy replacement. Then I bought Painter 11 but I still use GIMP from time to time. I recommend you just try GIMP and see if it fits with you. There are other programs like SAI, Fire Alpaca, neither of which I have much experience with. SAI was okay but I didn't really like the feel of it so I got rid of it.

But if PS CS2 is free I'd recommend that too, I had a trail version of it at one time but not the money to buy it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff