Welcome to Gaia! ::

By draw I mean you look around the setting and start drawing people. (Usually people that are sitting are standing for a long period of time)

The reason I asked this, is because I want to improve my drawing skills. I wonder if this would be rude in your eyes.

I would feel it would be really awkward to ask people anyways.

What would you personally do if you found out that someone was drawing you sitting around 20 feet away from you?

In a relationship with Help The Bombardier

Explorer

It really depends on the community you're in. Some places appreciate the arts more than others, so there's different attitudes.
I've never had an issue with it, I've always found people love it. But if you're sitting and drawing someone, and if it seems like they don't like it, or they come up to you and ask you to stop don't stop it.
I'm an art student so I'm used to people randomly drawing me, if I notice it I try not to move so they can get their drawing in.

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Drawing in public isn't rude but drawing a person without there knowledge can be. Some people may not like to be drawn.

Sparkly Genius

as an artist i don't find it rude but you could always draw things that usually wouldnt mind--trees, scenery, buildings, young kids, etc etc.

Charming Cultist

33,900 Points
  • OTP 200
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
bye losers
as an artist i don't find it rude but you could always draw things that usually wouldnt mind--trees, scenery, buildings, young kids, etc etc.
Ehh, the parents of those kids might mind if they saw. >>

On the one side, there's the whole "no expectation of privacy" thing for being in public, on the other I don't like being watched so people drawing me would definitely be annoying/unnerving/uncomfortable to say the least.

Dainty Spirit

12,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Citizen 200
For people always ask first. I drew a picture of a woman in a coffee shop and when she noticed she got mad. I had to erase her face. Some people dig on it and sometime want to pay for the drawing. The zoo is my favorite. Animals don't seem to mind it. Nature is always fun for drawing, like at a camp ground.
Becca Jerome
For people always ask first. I drew a picture of a woman in a coffee shop and when she noticed she got mad. I had to erase her face. Some people dig on it and sometime want to pay for the drawing. The zoo is my favorite. Animals don't seem to mind it. Nature is always fun for drawing, like at a camp ground.

How did she find out?

Malevolent Firestarter

11,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
It's polite to ask if you can draw them, but if you are too shy, chances are they wont even know you are drawing them anyways unless you catch each others eye, then they might ask to see it. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just practice. wink

O.G. Partier

James Gurney has some really good thoughts about this on his blog.

Personally, I tend to ask people or hide that I'm doing it, but I've got a lot of social anxiety issues that would prevent me from politely explaining it after the fact with any success. Do what you feel comfortable doing, imo.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Young Master Aibiki
bye losers
Ehh, the parents of those kids might mind if they saw. >>

On the one side, there's the whole "no expectation of privacy" thing for being in public, on the other I don't like being watched so people drawing me would definitely be annoying/unnerving/uncomfortable to say the least.
My sister is a photographer, she always has release forms with her for stuff like that.

Dainty Spirit

12,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Citizen 200
Unawarebrah
Becca Jerome

How did she find out?

She got up to throw something away and noticed it. Very startled by the reaction. It was one of my best.

Distinct Elder

No, just try not to spill your spaghetti when someone inevitably asks to see your drawings.

Heart Gaian

As long as you don't intend to be rude, I think it's just fine wink

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Edward 100
You can also get around drawing people in public by only drawing gestures of them - don't add any identifying facial characteristics. smile
I find it uncomforting and rude, but drawing things around you except people is not wrong.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff