Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Misfit

22,025 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I think I have to improve more before taking commissions since I can only seem to get $5 and under ones at the moment... -_- It's not worth it for the effort that I put in.

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Ms Spook
I've charged anywhere from 20 to 80$ for tattoo designs. It all really depends on the size, time, subject matter, and materials you use....

What exactly are you looking to sell?

people have requested my traditional work and digital work.

I've been requested to make tattoos, portraits, t-shirt designs, and now my school is asking me to design the prom tickets since I already designed their school sweaters.

Idk, I've been doing this for free too and people have felt that I should be paid, but I don't know if I'm good enough yet.

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Fansub
Your art is good enough to sell as soon as someone who isn't a friend or family member tells you that they want to buy some art from you.

I think my art is utter garbage but it sells anyway. I know people who think they're hot s**t but their art doesn't sell. What you think is irrelevant -- it's up to the buyer really. Just put it up for sale and see what happens.

Nahh man your work is awesome.

I've seen people who actually try to sell their crappy drawings of "chibi" anime. The thing is, some people were actually willing to buy.

I'll see how it goes, i'll see on DA if people actually want to buy my art. ;U

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
VenomGurl4
Ms Spook
I've charged anywhere from 20 to 80$ for tattoo designs. It all really depends on the size, time, subject matter, and materials you use....

What exactly are you looking to sell?

I've been requested to make tattoos, portraits, t-shirt designs, and now my school is asking me to design the prom tickets since I already designed their school sweaters.

Idk, I've been doing this for free too and people have felt that I should be paid, but I don't know if I'm good enough yet.

Well if you are getting that much business I think its safe to go ahead and start charging.

Start low and if the demand picks up, raise your prices.

I did entire portraits for $10 dollars at first until business picked up.
I've never sold any of my art, but I've been told that I should. I made an abstract wood cube sculpture for a shop class when I was at University. Another student told me it looked like something you could find at Pottery Barn, which I think was a compliment. And my brother, to whom I gave the prototype, says that he gets a lot of comments about it from his friends. So he thinks I could sell them, too. It's kind of moot, though, because I don't have a table saw or a band saw to use anymore.

Trafficker

VenomGurl4

There isn't some grand poobah, official signal, or bureaucratic institution that needs to grant permission to you in order to Start Taking Money for Drawing. It's up to you to decide to take it, or what you can negotiate from people. This can happen at any point. The ultimate authority is the person who thinks they got their money's worth.

Believe it or not, taking people's money is actually a skill that artists need to learn. You learn how to create a process, and how to actually assign value to your skills (which honestly seems like it's lacking in you right now, because you keep saying you have to wait for some reason-- how do you know if you don't have evidence of this?). It helps if you start taking a little bit of money now so that you can figure out how (and where) to get a lot more money later.

If you assign a value to your work, even if it starts out modestly, you open the door for others to do so, too.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i sell art on deviantart in different styles (and different effort levels) for anything between $1 and $30.

i also sold some postcard-size traditional art for charity for £10-15 ($15-23) but i guess it's different when people are actually getting to keep the original artwork physically so you should consider that if you're selling traditional art to people in real life.

i have some bigger sculpture and clothing pieces i'd LIKE to sell for maybe $100-300 but so far nobody wants to buy this stuff from me. emo you should sell your art for what you think it's worth though and not lower the cost just because other people don't agree with the pricing, if you're serious about it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff