Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Idk, my friends are telling me to start selling my art for real money.

but then they're just friends, they say nice things all the time even when they don't mean it.

How do you know if your art is good enough to sell? Not pieces that would go for thousands obviously, but ones that would go for like 10-100 dollars(I think 100 is too high as an example idk I'm just throwing it out there).

Aged Codger

My art is not that great, but I still manage to sell commissions here and there. Unfortunately because it's not that great I wind up making about two to three dollars an hour.

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Annie Felis
My art is not that great, but I still manage to sell commissions here and there. Unfortunately because it's not that great I wind up making about two to three dollars an hour.

what kind of art do you sell? ;/

Aged Codger

VenomGurl4
Annie Felis

OCs, fantasy, and I am ashamed to admit I've sold fanart before. I've thought of starting pinup/fetish art once my skill improves, though.

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Annie Felis
VenomGurl4
Annie Felis

OCs, fantasy, and I am ashamed to admit I've sold fanart before. I've thought of starting pinup/fetish art once my skill improves, though.

ohhh,

then i think i should wait until i get better. xD
I've sold quite a bit of my art, mostly to family and family friends, but the most I think I've ever gotten was probably $200. A lot of it had to do with size and materials involved.

7,400 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Anisele
I've sold quite a bit of my art, mostly to family and family friends, but the most I think I've ever gotten was probably $200. A lot of it had to do with size and materials involved.

if its family and friends, i don't have the heart of telling them you gotta pay for it. idk its really awkward If i do tell them

Dangerous Lunatic

8,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
VenomGurl4
Anisele

if its family and friends, i don't have the heart of telling them you gotta pay for it. idk its really awkward If i do tell them

I agree that is awkward hmm I never really sold art either, so I cant be much help. I just make it for free...I'm not really that good enough to sell art in my opinion >>>3<<<I wish though I made some art and shoes, but only for friends and family but like I said only for free.

But it can't hurt to ask people I suppose...Maybe try doing it on gaia for a little bit and then eventually work it to real life at lest you'll get practices on trying to make what people ask for and improving your art as well.

Ruthless Ladykiller

I've sold some - used to do $3 a commission (digital drawings) on my dA.
I'm takin a break to just draw for myself for a while & sell little doodles on here for gold/fun xD rl commissions can get exhausting

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I've charged anywhere from 20 to 80$ for tattoo designs. It all really depends on the size, time, subject matter, and materials you use....

What exactly are you looking to sell?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
ive sold my realism pieces before, but only to friends an family. i only charge $20 for an oil painting when i do decide to charge. i think my sister is the only one who likes my stylized pieces.

if i was selling to friends or strangers i would charge alot more but my family has helped me out so much i feel i can give them free art and cheap prices
I sell my Art as well, though usually for gaia gold and items. I've sold a few pieces for real money but I have mixed feeling about it. Probably because deep down I often feel like my art isn't worth real money yet. Not with the amount of mistakes I make.

The most I've received thus far was £10 ($15 I think?) for a tattoo design of a water nymph. It was for a colleague of mine who had seen my art and liked it. I was satisfied with the result, but seeing the actual tattoo now is kind of awkward for me.

Shameless Nerd

9,500 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Your art is good enough to sell as soon as someone who isn't a friend or family member tells you that they want to buy some art from you.

I think my art is utter garbage but it sells anyway. I know people who think they're hot s**t but their art doesn't sell. What you think is irrelevant -- it's up to the buyer really. Just put it up for sale and see what happens.

Tipsy Gaian

Does not really matter how good you are, you can pretty much sell anything if you find the right person / make the right deal.

I'd suggesting finding group of people that you want to target, like an interest group.
( ex: Gamers, anime fans, sports...etc )

It's easier to sell to people who like what your selling.
And as for price, it depends. Fans will tend to pay more for something... is what I've noticed.

8,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Full closet 200
I only sell art for real money now. You can always try to sell it no matter what level you are at I think... but if you aren't any good, no one will buy.

As for pricing... you don't want to lowball yourself, but not overprice either.

For my style that takes the longest, I get $30 for one character and a background... down to $5 for a doodle style picture. I even do comics for either $10/pg or $15/pg. I recently finished a comic that earned me $420!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff