Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am talking about drawing humans/creatures and what not.

Not landscapes or whatever.

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
I would say yes. If you want to draw a human or creature from different angles and in motion you have to understand how the joints are put together and how they move. For that you need to have a 3D-understanding of the basic forms and know how they change based on bending and flexing.

Hygienic Garbage

That's what users on Gaia will push, and honestly I don't feel that's 100% good advice. It's not to say that you shouldn't have a basic understanding of anatomy, because you should know what you are drawing before you simplify it. It really is important to be comfortable with your foundation knowledge (anatomy is just one of those things).

If anything, get comfortable with gesture drawing.

Check out youtube channels:
Proko
Drawing with Jazza
Sycra
Will Terrell

Sparkly Gekko

I'd argue it relies more on motion and gesture than anything, but most of Gaia will disagree with me. I've noticed a tendency to shove "Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy!" down people's throats in the art comment and critique forums here. Honestly, it's one of the last things I consider when I draw. I prefer to think of composition, lighting, and movement first. With that said, anatomy is important, just not nearly as important as Gaia would have you believe.

Celestial Dog

Yes. It doesn't matter what style of art you're aiming for, you should familiarize yourself with realistic anatomy first. trust me, it helps a LOT. Regardless of if you're looking to draw hyperrealistic people or super simplified cartoon characters with noodle arms. An important rule is to know the rules before breaking them.

But as the two people before me mentioned, gesture is also very important, and it helps avoid flaws that may occur by trying to draw what you know rather than what's actually there.

Questionable Lunatic

10,575 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Gender Swap 100
I'll just say what everyone has ever told me...

"You need to learn the rules before you can break them..."

With that said, I never bothered with anatomy and now I'm wishing I did and desperately trying to learn.
It is amazing how much a little knowledge in anatomy can help even with simplified/cartoonish drawings.

Dapper Spotter

'A lot' can be different for anyone. Just start out with a level you can work with, then set on improving on every new drawing smile
Spindlewick
'A lot' can be different for anyone. Just start out with a level you can work with, then set on improving on every new drawing smile

Drawing is hard for me. I am taking a class and I am struggling with it. sad

Blessed Vampire

4,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Team Edward 100
You will wish you learned anatomy as soon as you have a character that you have to draw again and again and again from different angles, in different positions, interacting with the environment - for example when drawing comics. Without basic anatomy the character will most likely change shape from panel to panel.

And despite of what people have been saying about anatomy not being important. It IS as it makes drawing much easier. As some people have already mentioned before, learn the rules before you break them.

But then again, drawing consists of many important disciplines that are equally important. It is not enough to know anatomy without knowing composition, gestures and expressions. Or how to do the flow of hair. Or the folding of clothing, depending on material. Or contrasts. Or backgrounds. and so on. Art is a neverending learning process, the more you are able to do, the more you realize how little you are able to do.

frantic spark's Senpai

Angelic Unicorn

Goddess Rukus
I'd argue it relies more on motion and gesture than anything, but most of Gaia will disagree with me. I've noticed a tendency to shove "Anatomy, anatomy, anatomy!" down people's throats in the art comment and critique forums here. Honestly, it's one of the last things I consider when I draw. I prefer to think of composition, lighting, and movement first. With that said, anatomy is important, just not nearly as important as Gaia would have you believe.
I can tell.

Popular Sophomore

13,725 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Athlete 50
Anatomy is the first thing every beginning artist should learn. Once you get down the basics of how bodies work, the easier and more fun you'll have manipulating them. You'll have so many "a-ha" moments when you learn anatomy and drawing becomes less of a frustration.

Fashionable Entrepreneur

Psychedelic Trip Out
Anatomy is the first thing every beginning artist should learn. Once you get down the basics of how bodies work, the easier and more fun you'll have manipulating them. You'll have so many "a-ha" moments when you learn anatomy and drawing becomes less of a frustration.

I 100% truly agrees on the "aha moments". xD

Dapper Spotter

Lich baning
Spindlewick

Drawing is hard for me. I am taking a class and I am struggling with it. sad

What kind of class, if you don't mind me asking.

Sparkly Gekko

God-the-almighty
Goddess Rukus
I can tell.
Okay.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash