Welcome to Gaia! ::

HarelquinPrince's Husband

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I've been tryin to get into digital painting for a few months now, and while I like to think I've gotten the painting part down p well, making it so there's no lineart is extremely difficult for me. Maybe it's because I was/am initially an architect student, but I've always been taught to draw with freakishly neat lineart (one of the few things I excell at artistically lol).

Anyways, back on topic, it's really hard for me to delete my lineart or sketch and try to achieve a lineless digital painting. Tutorials really leave me stumped as well. Orz My products always end up messy and muddled or have an air of incompleteness. I find this to be true as well with ny watercolor paintings, but I suspect that has more to do with technique rather than actually paintings.

I mean, I've done lineless art before, but they're always flat pieces, never paintings. I don't any amount of just grinding away will help unless I'm pointed at the proper direction at the least. So, any tips?

Latest actual digital painting to show u guys what I mean.

User Image

Tipsy Streaker

10,675 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I suggest doing some studies of things in reality so you can get a better idea of light source and how to imply depth and boundary using only color and shades. Identifying where you want the light source(s) in your art will help immensely. I usually put a little ball of bright color on a different layer to give me reference to where my light is. It takes a fair bit of practice until you start thinking of objects in your art as taking up a three dimentional space and developing a sense as to where the shadows should be. Don't be afraid to use a reference for shadows.

Trash Whisperer

I'd suggest doing black and white studies first before moving into colour... Straight off the bat I can see that your work lacks the kind of depth needed for digital painting u//u Aside from what Kairanha said, I think you should try doing drawings from photos so you can check how dark your work needs to be in comparison to real life n_n

Friendly Dreamer

You could still do your lineart, but change the colors of it at the end. This way you can make it look lineless without it actually being lineless.

As for your art itself. I think I'll agree with what others have said. You should try to get a better idea on light sources and shading.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
❝Bruh❞

Kairanha

I need to make it a habit to do more photo studies yeah. I mean realism isn't my goal, but it'll definitely help. As for light sources, I usually use arrows instead of balls. That piece really doesn't have any since it's for an art challenge and time was of the essence but I know that's no real excuse. Usually I shade like this or this when I do cell shading (which I hate lol).

Teacup Creations

I've heard of working in monochrome helps with lighting so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Loner Yanagi

I've actually done that recently, but it ended up pretty yuck looking. Guess I just need more practice. Orz

❝Who cares?❞

Friendly Dreamer

Cynical Lad

I've actually done that recently, but it ended up pretty yuck looking. Guess I just need more practice. Orz

I think it's going to take time and effort before you can get things to look how you would like. While I can work lineless I have issues with other aspects of my art so I understand the frustration.

I sometimes use 3D models to play with lighting since sometimes it's hard to find extreme lighting in photos.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
❝Bruh❞

Loner Yanagi
I think it's going to take time and effort before you can get things to look how you would like. While I can work lineless I have issues with other aspects of my art so I understand the frustration.

I sometimes use 3D models to play with lighting since sometimes it's hard to find extreme lighting in photos.

I guess I have a long road ahead of me as they say. Having 3D models though would def help instead of just using photo references every once in a while.

I'm currently doing a photo study (that's what it's called right???) of an old baby pic of me and I honestly don't know how I'm fairing.
User Image
The lips tho, it's KILLING ME. Ugh, I thought the eyes would be hard but it's like, lol nope, it's the lips.

My sketch is barely helping either because its radically different than how it's ending up. Orz

I actually don't like doing art like this, based on an irl photo, because the technique doesn't translate well when I'm drawing OCs that clearly can't exist in real life and I'm stuck with zero truly useful references for making things look realistic. //wheeze

❝Who cares?❞

Witty Phantom

Teacup Creations

I'd suggest doing black and white studies first before moving into colour... Straight off the bat I can see that your work lacks the kind of depth needed for digital painting u//u Aside from what Kairanha said, I think you should try doing drawings from photos so you can check how dark your work needs to be in comparison to real life n_n

I really have to say that I was checking out your dA and I just love your style!
It's very unique and pretty! c': ♥

Friendly Dreamer

Cynical Lad

I guess I have a long road ahead of me as they say. Having 3D models though would def help instead of just using photo references every once in a while.

I'm currently doing a photo study (that's what it's called right???) of an old baby pic of me and I honestly don't know how I'm fairing.
User Image
The lips tho, it's KILLING ME. Ugh, I thought the eyes would be hard but it's like, lol nope, it's the lips.

My sketch is barely helping either because its radically different than how it's ending up. Orz

I actually don't like doing art like this, based on an irl photo, because the technique doesn't translate well when I'm drawing OCs that clearly can't exist in real life and I'm stuck with zero truly useful references for making things look realistic. //wheeze

❝Who cares?❞

Do you use guidelines? I think sketching out some rough ones when working helps a lot with getting placement right.

I think the baby you painting is coming out rather cute. Just keep at it the more you do the more you will improve. It just might not be apparent at first.
I gave up on lineart because I'm just too lazy.. I prefer working around the mess of blobs and then rendering it later. As for a sketch... I don't usually do one unless I plan on starting a grayscale painting.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Trash Whisperer

Luna de Nuit

redface Thank you!
Also for the watch as well u//u

Tycoon

I'm not sure if this has been said yet but have you tried doing still life/life drawing paint studies traditionally?

You'll get more out of that when you're painting than anything else imo.

Part of it is just being unfamiliar with the medium as well, theres a slight learning curve to painting in general. Like try doing still lifes of hard boiled eggs under a light source traditionally. If you can make that look interesting without having them look like lifeless balls of white, you'll have put your foot in the door of painting just a little bit.

Also a lot of painting has to do with playing with light. So understanding tones and how to place color is important. Overall though it's very hard to transition studies to things you make up on your own, it just takes a lot of practice and having painting actually be a comfort zone in order to exploit it to what you want it to do.

Dapper Bunny

9,825 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
❝Bruh❞

Loner Yanagi
Do you use guidelines? I think sketching out some rough ones when working helps a lot with getting placement right.

I think the baby you painting is coming out rather cute. Just keep at it the more you do the more you will improve. It just might not be apparent at first.

Yup, I use guidelines, but I tend to delete the end of through the process. (I was going to end the drawing at the basic painting stage when I decided to say ******** it and went all out).

I'm glad you think it's coming cute. I was worried that it would end up looking creepy since that's an easy thing to do when drawing children. I ended up redoing the lips and finishing the drawing, but I know it still needs work.

nyanie
I gave up on lineart because I'm just too lazy.. I prefer working around the mess of blobs and then rendering it later. As for a sketch... I don't usually do one unless I plan on starting a grayscale painting.

Do you have any tips on drawing linelessly and rendering then? It's still going very slow for me since I have to be constantly looking at my sources and redoing certain parts. I know I'm going to have to keep practicing till it becomes second nature, but any help doesn't hurt.

TarotBunny
I'm not sure if this has been said yet but have you tried doing still life/life drawing paint studies traditionally?

You'll get more out of that when you're painting than anything else imo.

Part of it is just being unfamiliar with the medium as well, theres a slight learning curve to painting in general. Like try doing still lifes of hard boiled eggs under a light source traditionally. If you can make that look interesting without having them look like lifeless balls of white, you'll have put your foot in the door of painting just a little bit.

Also a lot of painting has to do with playing with light. So understanding tones and how to place color is important. Overall though it's very hard to transition studies to things you make up on your own, it just takes a lot of practice and having painting actually be a comfort zone in order to exploit it to what you want it to do.

About 2 years ago I used to do that obsessively, but my skill was still very low and I decided to work on my overall anatomy before moving back to realism and life studies. Which is what I'm trying to do now since I feel I have a good grasp of anatomy and should move on pushing my abilities.

That's a good analogy and something I'm gonna have to do tbh. Traditional painting is something I understand and comfortable with, bit since digital painting is so new to me, it's still very awkward for me. More practice is needed I guess. Thanks for your input.

❝Who cares?❞
Cynical Lad

I saw your finished painting, it was quite nice. I recommend understanding tones and values before working with color. That would allow you to focus more on the light source, giving your painting a form and structure. Using photographs as reference is fine, but it's not very effective unless you have a general understanding of what you draw already. Using photographs as reference can make your paintings turn out flat. Just in everyday life, observe how certain body parts or things move.
When starting out, you should just be using a hard edged brush, and a soft edged brush. Don't concern yourself with other brushes so that you can practice how to actually paint things without using 'gimmicks'. You can paint with multiple layers, but I personally don't like layers, so I try to use only 1.
If you disregarded everything that has been written and want to start working with colors right away... then I recommend not blending with 4+ colors. If you do that then your colors tend to turn out muddy looking.
Once again be careful when using a photograph reference.. because you have to think if you're actually painting what you are actually seeing in the photograph. Are you drawing/painting optically? Or are you assuming that said color or line is meant to go there. I think it's more effective to find a digital painter that you admire, and look to see if that artist has already drawn what you need a reference for(hair,clothes,eyes,etc.), and try to retrace their steps. Hm... Lastly.. be aware when rendering. Don't over render things. Leaving some parts partially un-rendered gives your painting texture and looks more interesting as opposed to a completely smooth panting.

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Seems like you may need value practice to make your work stand more on it's own without lines. Really try to push the lights and darks more. I see a lot of mid value in your painting you posted. If it helps, keep a sketch layer on top of your painting and turn the opacity down a lot so it's barely visible. It may help to do a few black and white paintings to get a feel for the values. Another practice tip is to start with a toned canvas. Color your background a mid-value color like a medium brown/beige or gray. Then work in your highlights and shadows. Check out Ctrl+paint for some cool digital painting tutorials. ^^ they helped me a lot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff