Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Bloodsucker

13,025 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Timid 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Soreiyu

You can also try just doing fanart to post on the internet. I mean it has 2 plus sides. 1 You'll be more likely to get attention, and 2 art thieves can not claim the characters as their own.

I love doing this. Fan art is a great way to share without worry. I generally worry more about sharing my concepts and having them stolen than just my artwork itself. I've had it happen before by two different coworkers, and it's not a nice experience when they don't even credit you for the idea. So I tend to show my less exciting pieces and hoard the best ones for exhibits. biggrin

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
666_JFoxx_777
solorn
First it's called copyright infringement not art theft (since your art isn't exactly stolen never to return to you).

666_JFoxx_777
Is Deviantart truly a reliable site? I am very weary of Art Theft.
I have read many articles of horrifying tales of underground artists (even from deviantart itself) having there work stolen by workers in companies for corporate branding materials...

I don't think there is a definite way of avoiding art theft. Generally if you post your art on the web you are taking a huge risk. As your art is being displayed to a wide range of anonymous viewers where they can do anything they like with it.
If you suspect your art has been stolen (which is like finding a needle in a haystack) there is even little you can do about it.

Like you concluded yourself no site can protect you from someone who will save your work and use it for their own gain. But you can ensure that no-one will bother with your art.
For example you can make your image smaller and quality lower than what is usually needed for printing. You can also watermark it. Even though watermarks can be "taken off" it is additional security and one more reason for those people not to bother with your art.

Quote:

If my art were to be stolen and used without my know abouts; that could ultimately damage my credibility and reputation.

How can such act by other people damage your credibility and reputation?

I think your a little bit confused. You are right it is copy right infringement when someone decides to copy your own work and claim it as there own, but when they start selling it and making profit off it for corporate means or even for there own benefit then that is considered art theft which is what I was referring too to begin with. So yeah, I can extinguish the difference between the two.

I am pretty sure those who have that intent and motivation and is determined enough to pull off a successful art theft has already thought of ways to pull it off no matter how hard you try and make it difficult for them. I would not so easily underestimate a art theft. I have seen it myself within corporate industries.
A worker so called artist is given a deadline to come up with a graphic design for a product and after many frustrating attempts of trying to come up with something but fails there last resort is to skim through the internet such as deviant art and rip off some underground artist that isn't widely known. So the worker reaps the benefits of his crafty ways while the real artist has no idea until finally the shocking discovery is made in which little there is to do about it in a law suite.
Not all workers within the corporate industry do this but there are the bad few eggs and it is a very real thing that occurs quite often.

This can ultimately damage the artists reputation and credibility making it extremely difficult for others to believe that this artist is legit seeing how the art and style has already been branded by somebody else in a company already.
If I went around showing my portfolio off to employers in say like a tattoo shop and they recognized it from some graphic design branded on some product or even a logo of some place done completely by a different person all because I chose to display my art freely on the web for that person to take advantage of. What do you think that employer is going to think of me??
He would laugh and call me a fake even though truly it was my style to begin with.
By the way I can also get sued if this imposter saw and recognized my art that carries the same style that he stole from me to begin with... not fun at all.
This is no easy free fun loving world.

You are no bother to me anymore ever you do not even make any sense you have no knowledge of anything what so ever. Please don't even bother responding back. Move along child move along.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my message as confusing and harsh. I just wanted to be informative and helpful.

And I'm not a least bit confused because even if people copy your work and sell it for profit it is still called copyright infringement not art theft. When you create art you own copyright, the right to copy that piece of art. And if someone who you haven't sell or given your copyright to decided to copy your work for whatever purposes (except for fair use; like only for learning or doing a study if we are talking about art) they are infringing your copy rights.

I won't comment or reply anymore as you asked I only wanted to clear misunderstanding.
666_JFoxx_777
Is Deviantart truly a reliable site? I am very weary of Art Theft.
I have read many articles of horrifying tales of underground artists (even from deviantart itself) having there work stolen by workers in companies for corporate branding materials.
I have even witnessed it myself going to a shop selling T-shirts and there I saw familiar art by an artist I knew of on a T-shirt being sold to the public.

I don't think there is a definite way of avoiding art theft. Generally if you post your art on the web you are taking a huge risk. As your art is being displayed to a wide range of anonymous viewers where they can do anything they like with it.
If you suspect your art has been stolen (which is like finding a needle in a haystack) there is even little you can do about it.

Anyways I am a starving artist that is deeply confused what to do with my life's work. Often I feel I should promote my art over sites like Deviantart but then I am easily discouraged because I trust very little in the internet.
Not saying my art is any better or special in anyway, but what I am saying is I plan on trying to get to some successful level in artistry like Tattooing or airbrushing (Honestly I have no idea what I will be doing all I know is it has a lot to do with art since my whole life is pointing in that direction). If my art were to be stolen and used without my know abouts; that could ultimately damage my credibility and reputation.

If any artists out there have any advice for me in promoting my work that would be amazing!

Deviantart, in my experience, is a relatively safe and great community. YES, there is a risk of art theft- I've had my art 'reposted' before but people who see it will notify you. And yes, they will have the copy taken down. Basically, it's difficult for others to steal work and get away with it.

If you want to avoid art theft, you could put a watermark / copyright ON the image itself, or put it in the description.

To promote your work, you could try the Deviantart forums, or join and submit to groups.

Apocalyptic Phantom

14,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
666_JFoxx_777

I should be the one apologizing. You are right. I just realized I was the one who made the mistake I was initially referring to copyright infringement. So yes you are definitely right.
I took your way of wording it in a negative way. I cannot tell the emotions of another human being behind a computer screen thus I thought you were attacking me with negative energy.
I take back the nasty things I said to you and thus that spell is broken.
Again I apologize and for now on everything I said about art theft I meant copyright infringement and I will be using that word more correctly. Thank you.

It's alright. Apology accepted.
And I'm sorry again if I made my reply sound condescending I really didn't realized it.
It's really hard, almost impossible, reading people's emotions by reading their posts.

Commander in Chief

666_JFoxx_777
Soreiyu
You can always check your images with Google image search to see if they have been reposted anywhere. That should give you a slight bit more piece of mind.

You can also try just doing fanart to post on the internet. I mean it has 2 plus sides. 1 You'll be more likely to get attention, and 2 art thieves can not claim the characters as their own.

That is actually a really good Idea that I never fully thought of. Thank you so much for that. I will defiantly try this.
Did you know that Diedrich means "Ruler of the People" which is true because I am president of Gaia forever? I like that, I do! OK bye, my minions!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff