Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Team Jacob 100
I've always wanted to do something with my art, I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon. I now have an author in Germany wanting illustrations and cover art as well as an up and coming band asking for cover art and tee shirt art. I'm also going to college to become an art teacher, don't give up on your art because you don't think theres something out there for you.

Trafficker

I think I'm the opposite of people here. I started working as a web designer in high school and eventually moved on to owning my own company and being self-employed. At some point I had like 15 employees working under me. At some point I wondered if I'd ever finish college, because I was making tons of money without it. I traveled overseas every year (sometimes twice!) and took vacations whenever I wanted, ate at expensive restaurants, bought nice things, etc.

But I never intended to be a designer forever, it was a high school internship that turned into a career, and that made me miserable. I came to hate web design, and became more irritated every time I'd see professional artwork that was shittier than mine, because what was stopping me was the fact that I knew I was missing some crucial skills, and didn't know where to find them.

And really, that's it. It wasn't that I ever failed as an artist-- I'd never actually tried. So right now I've quit my "career," and am using the rest of my money to get an Illustration degree. Finishing out my degree after having worked since high school changes the perspective for me. On one hand we do a lot of work (my illustration program is really career-focused and teaches entrepreneurial sensibilities and beats the everliving s**t out of us due to the sheer workload), and while it's physically and mentally taxing, it's nice to be back in school after having worked, handled clients, having dealt with law suits, and taxes, etc. I'm getting all the info I was missing to change careers, and my instructors are great mentors that have really helped my sensibilities. I've had more than one instructor say something to the effect of "Oh my god, you should have come sooner!"

After the first semester there-- actually, no. After my first WEEK there it was clear how much I'd outgrown my junior college and didn't even realize it, once I was instructed by people who made work that was closer to what I was making in my spare time. Not saying my JC sucked, because my JC actually taught really strong fundamentals that make my life easier. It's just... they were all studio painters, and I never was. They couldn't tell me how to reach my goals because it wasn't their area of expertise. Now I have lots teachers who have actually made things out in the world that I actually knew about before getting to study under them: gaming, animation, editorial illustration, comics, etc. Last semester, my illustration teacher told me that I draw better than he does. It was ******** unreal. Doors are starting to open. I'm getting recommended for work/internships/etc.

I tend to think I'm thriving because I know what I wanted from art school. At age 18, I wasn't too clear about that. In fact, I see plenty of 18 year olds who aren't ready. They shouldn't be there yet. I've learned that that's okay, too.

Anyway, I didn't post to be contrary or anything, I just wanted to throw my experience out there, in order to point out that being honest with myself would have made the whole process less agonizing (I was afraid to take the risk, even though deep down I knew there was a chance). I also don't want to insinuate that I think my future is guaranteed. It never is-- I have other job skills to fall back on, and I know I'm not wasting my time at art school because I came there with a purpose.

Oh, and the biggest thing I wanted to point out was that my 17-year-old self didn't know jack s**t, and that it was idiotic to base my future on her decisions. Also, (this is a point that other people have made in this thread, but in the other direction, really), making the decision to turn away from professional art is the same as making the decision to turn towards it, in that you have the freedom to change your mind in life, as long as you're honest about what you can/will do. I think the biggest thing to take away from this thread in general is that you're never really stuck, whether that be chasing after goals or deciding to stop.

Fashionable Shoujo

8,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Signature Look 250
I had the problem of wanting to be a professional in the arts after high school, went to college and dropped out.
I recently started making it my "part time career" and keeping up with commissions and salary work working in retail. I plan on working in medical as an office assistant or a file clerk eventually because it is a stable job and I can get PTO and work in a Union and be able to afford a house and to travel more. emotion_bigheart

O.G. Partier

pinky pomp
A.D.1492
well there's nothing wrong with that. it's great that you're doing what you love and being able to live off of that :>

Kaiser-chan
wow that's great you found a job you really like now ;v; yeah what you wrote is a bit how I feel sometimes. I don't know if what I'm aiming for is what I want, and if I just went with art I'd be happy. but I decided to go with my current plan in case it does work out. if it doesn't I'll look for something else. I mean it's not that easy to just leave and look for something else lol... but I do want a job I'll enjoy working at eventually. it doesn't even have to be about art, but I do want that opportunity one day.

I really loved looking at your studies though. can I ask you what kind of job you have now?

Thank you! I work for a bank - there's a large campus of "back-office" style departments near where I live, and I work for one of a bunch of various specific fraud departments. It was pretty competitive to get in, but most people just have the same thing as me - some lower-level customer service job history with a different (or in some cases the same) major bank.

A lot of people quote the idea that most jobs aren't publicly announced but now that I'm in with a large company it's really honestly true (even when nepotism or "connections" aren't in play - oftentimes it's just referrals and internally advertised positions). The intranet for my company announces a lot of jobs way faster than they're put up publicly, and some are only available through it. It makes it hard to tell what's really available on the job market sometimes. I think when I was in a worse place, job-wise, it made art a lot more tempting. Until I watched a lot of friends try their hands and realized objective skill and background just aren't the only things that go into getting the job you want, no matter the field. Art has the same problems as anything else.

I do kind of see some of myself in Pink's situation, though, too. I think if I went back to college in either of the fields I originally intended tried I'd be better suited for it. I don't think most people are mature enough to get their moneys-worth from college at the age that you graduate high school. But now I'm too scared and set in my ways to try probably. sweatdrop

larrystew's Partner In Crime

Comrade

I hope no one thinks I'm being rude by not responding, I think I'll end up repeating myself if I did sweatdrop but I am reading everyone's posts.

Kaiser-chan
ohh I see. and that's interesting about jobs not being publicly announced. I have heard about it before but I didn't know how common it was.

yeah I agree with the age thing. really I'm not sure what colleges are for now, I'm starting to believe it really is just to get that degree lol. I'd actually love to go to art school one day. I think if someone wants to go just to have the experience and are able to, they should. but realistically if they are able to find a job in that field... well I have no clue XD;
I debated between majors for a while in college. For a long time I wanted to be a zoologist. I eventually decided that art was the only career I would remain committed to.

It's NOT an easy life, especially being a fine artist. Thankfully I have a graphic design background so I have some sources of income through freelance work.

There are so many different opportunities for artists these days that creating art for a living isn't as difficult as one might think. However, you might need to find a creative job doing something you weren't originally intending. Over the last couple years I've done painting, drawing, jewelry design, leather work, wood cutting, web/graphic design, art installation, and professional framing all in between exhibiting my artwork in galleries. I find it exciting to work with so many mediums. I even have a few friends that do styrofoam pumpkin carving for a living, one who does Halloween costume designs for Party City, and others that hand make some of the jewelry you find in department stores.
yes, i ask myself this every single day that i'm not spending drawing lol. every time it gets tough i go into such depressed state and wonder, why the heck am i not an art major? but the way i see it, i can always learn art after i graduate (i'm in science) and i don't need to go to a big fancy art university to learn (at least i don't believe that). however, if i chose art right now and then decided i wanted to do chemistry, would i be able to teach myself that? likely not, so chemistry it is and art will come later. good luck with your decision!

Irregular Lunatic

15,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Marathon 300
I'm a senior this year in HS and I'm still deciding if I really want to go to an art college, and become a professional artist, but to be safe I want to apply to a community college just in case I lose interest in art.
My favorite types of art are filming, acting, fine arts, and animation
...I'm sorry I don't have a lot to say but I think there's already enough that's been said on here...

Vermillion Kitten

13,200 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Winged 100
  • Marathon 300
u-shet
this is totally me. emotion_bandaid
i'm a senior in highschool and i really love drawing but art school is so expensive and the competition for jobs is high. and i'm really good at math and science and getting into a different college for that would be easy for me.

so i am stuck between art that i like doing
or a science field that i know i can be successful in.

emotion_0A0 i just dont want to regret anything.

but i've set my mind on being an industrial designer or an architect because you do draw in that class and utilize your math skills. and then i can just learn art as a hobby and further that if i feel like i need to in the future.

You do realize you can combine the two degrees to do both at the same time, right? There's a lot of science literature that is in need of illustrations from people who have an understanding of the things they are supposed to be portraying.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff